Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,821 times

Advertisements

I am potentially relocating to the Atlanta area from Raleigh, NC and I am looking for suggestions for areas to live. I will be working in Acworth, but want to live closer to the city. I'd like to keep my commute reasonable, though, so I'm thinking somewhere in the NW area near 285. I'm single and in my mid 20's and I'd like to be around young professionals in my age range. I also enjoy going out, so I want to be at least close enough for a reasonable taxi ride to some good bars. I have a dog as well, so a pet-friendly area would be a plus.

From what I've read on a few sites I'm thinking the Vinings area would be a good place to start, but I would appreciate any other suggestions as well. I've also answered the questions from the sticky thread below:

1. Budget I'd like to stay under around $800 for rent and all utilities but I know that's pretty unlikely, so I could probably stretch that to around $1000
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Condo or townhome
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to Acworth
4. Children(public school vs. private) No kids
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Urban, but either is fine
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Public transit not important, highway access is
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Young professional (20s-ish age range)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,329 times
I would look at Smyrna for private condo rentals along Spring Rd between Campbell Rd and Atlanta Rd, and along Atlanta Rd. Examples are Country Park and Countryside at Cumberland. Easy access to I-75 via Spring Rd, Windy Hill Rd, or Delk Rd, then you can do a reverse commute up I-75. Although it's farther from Atlanta, I'd also look at Horizon on Power's Ferry and additionally around Chastain Avenue near Kennessaw State University and Shiloh Valley Dr near there as well (Barrett Parkway is crowded, but you can cross over along Barrett Lakes Blvd to hit I-75 at Chastian Rd.

Most of these areas are a mix of young profressionals and empty nesters.

Smyrna is #4 on best places for young adults in GA http://www.creditdonkey.com/young-adults-georgia.html, Kennesaw (close to town center) is #5

Last edited by netdragon; 06-21-2014 at 07:37 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,897,786 times
If it were me and I wanted a proper urban lifestyle I'd probably just do the reverse commute from Midtown. But living close to work should not be underestimated.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If it were me and I wanted a proper urban lifestyle I'd probably just do the reverse commute from Midtown. But living close to work should not be underestimated.
I wouldn't try this since it isn't a reverse commute to Acworth. Cumberland is a significant job center, as are Town Center and Perimeter Center, and Marietta. All four will create traffic on I-75. Buckhead is a bedroom community and plenty of Buckhead residents work in the aforementioned areas. The Braves games will effectively get you stuck in Acworth some days if you live intown Atlanta.

If you want a reverse-commute, you need to start on the other side of I285 or right along it. Your quasi-urban choices are Smyrna or Marietta, Cumberland, the center of Vinings, or Sandy Springs just across the river from Cumberland (I'm talking about those townhomes right at the river on Power's Ferry right where Ray's on the River is)

Last edited by netdragon; 06-23-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,821 times
Yea I was thinking I'd want to be right around 285, but try to avoid having to use it for my commute because it looks like a disaster around rush hour.

I've heard that the Smyrna area might not be the nicest, though, and the reviews that I've seen online for pretty much every apartment complex around there make them sound awful. Is this how it actually is or am I way off base here? Has anyone lived in that area and have any places that they would recommend?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copp17 View Post
I've heard that the Smyrna area might not be the nicest, though, and the reviews that I've seen online for pretty much every apartment complex around there make them sound awful. Is this how it actually is or am I way off base here? Has anyone lived in that area and have any places that they would recommend?
You probably heard about the low-income apartments in the Northern part of Smyrna. Smyrna has recently torn down some older apartment buildings that were causing trouble. There are still low-income apartments left in the North end of Smyrna, but they are more manageable now since the low-income density has decreased significantly due to strategic demolition of blighted properties :-)

Those really bad ones were from the 50s-70s. Most of the rest of the apartment stock is from the late 80s or 90s. They aren't fancy new style apartments, but due to their age they are relatively affordable in comparison to the rest of the metro. Some of them have been upgraded to some degree, but you can't obviously raise ceiling heights, etc.

I really recommend private rentals in Smyrna, e.g. individual landlords versus commercial properties. I'd rent landlord-owned properties in swim/tennis communities with strong HOAs, like Countryside at Cumberland on Spring Rd. You'll get the most bang for your buck that way and be in a stable community.

If you go the commercial route, go to Promove and get their map and help. They can also usually get you move-in deals, even if they are harder to come by nowadays. There's some newish ones on South Cobb Dr near Oakdale Rd and on Atlanta Rd near Paces Ferry Rd (all typically with "Vinings" in the name). There's apartments on Spring Hill Pkwy, Cumberland Pkwy, and in Cumberland (Post Woods, etc). For Smyrna, the one on Atlanta Rd is probably the most convenient for you, and is called Rock Creek at Vinings.

There are some new ones going up in Cumberland as we speak, about 2,000 units total are in construction or just finished construction, but will probably be above your price range since the new ones are super high-end places.

When I first moved to Atlanta, I rented in Post Springs on Spring Hill Pkwy, unincorporated Smyrna. A 1br at about $950 (though I got a $700-something deal for the first few months). It has different management now, however.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-24-2014 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta