Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM

58 posts, read 248,847 times

Advertisements

are they worth the $10 per person charge? any tips on what time we need to arrive to see the laser show? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoveornot View Post
are they worth the $10 per person charge? any tips on what time we need to arrive to see the laser show? thanks!
Are you kidding me? They charge $10 to see that cheesy crap?

I would personally say no way. I know they've changed it a bit since the last time I saw it but it can't be worth that much. That's on top of the $8(at least that's what it was last time) to even get into the park. Crazy if you ask me.

Sit on the lawn. Get there at least 30-45 minutes before dark and you should be able to find a decent spot.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,348 times
Personally I wouldn't pay for the seats. Any time we go, we'll spend the afternoon at the park, have a picnic and then wander over to the lawn about an hour ahead of time and lay the blankets out.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard about having to pay for seats! Must be another revenue getter for the park!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
That's what you get by selling the park management rights to DOLLYWOOD .... (Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation)

Old 06-27-2011, 01:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Actually, DTL3000, parking is now $10!!!!

The terrace seats do include unlimited popcorn and a soft drink, but still.....(I agree, cheesy crap! But lots of people love it.)

Old 06-27-2011, 01:56 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Actually, DTL3000, parking is now $10!!!!
Considering that the parking fee stays the same even if you have 20 people in your car and another five in the trunk, it's not unreasonable.

I would never pay to see the laser show, though. Actually, I've been to Stone Mountain probably close to 100 times in the last few years, and I don't think I've ever paid for anything aside from my annual parking passes.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 21,276 times
As a minor hijack to the thread...I have 2 young kids that I was going to take to see the show. Are the crowds there every night or is it mostly Fri-Sun plus holidays? They are 6 and 3 so it will be pushing it for them to stay up this late. Would prefer to go on a night with less people.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Considering that the parking fee stays the same even if you have 20 people in your car and another five in the trunk, it's not unreasonable.

I would never pay to see the laser show, though. Actually, I've been to Stone Mountain probably close to 100 times in the last few years, and I don't think I've ever paid for anything aside from my annual parking passes.
Actually they charge $20 for vehicles with 15 or more passengers but I see your point. I just think that's an unnecessary added expense for a family of four or so. Out of curiosity, I went to the park website and was absolutely stunned at how expensive it has gotten. I don't think it was anywhere near as elaborate when I went at 5 or 6 years old.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thbrewst View Post
As a minor hijack to the thread...I have 2 young kids that I was going to take to see the show. Are the crowds there every night or is it mostly Fri-Sun plus holidays? They are 6 and 3 so it will be pushing it for them to stay up this late. Would prefer to go on a night with less people.

Thanks.
When the laser show was at its peak of popularity 25 years ago or so, it was indeed jam packed every night of the week -- I'm talking 20,000-plus people! -- with massive traffic jams after the show was over. I know it's slacked off a lot since then, but still the last time I went it I was surprised at how many people were there. But that lawn is HUGE ... HUGE! And you'd be surprised how many folks can squeeze on there. Best advice: Arrive early, bring a cooler and plenty of things to keep your kids busy until the sun goes down, then strap them in and wait out the traffic (if there is any) once it's over.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Actually they charge $20 for vehicles with 15 or more passengers but I see your point. I just think that's an unnecessary added expense for a family of four or so. Out of curiosity, I went to the park website and was absolutely stunned at how expensive it has gotten. I don't think it was anywhere near as elaborate when I went at 5 or 6 years old.
I didn't realize that. I guess that applies mostly to tour busses.

Considering all that you can do for free at Stone Mountain, I don't think $10 per vehicle is unreasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: