Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 PM

157 posts, read 307,502 times

Advertisements

East Cobb seems to be a hot place to be. How far would it be to get to all of the shops and enterainment in Alpharetta? We like having access to those conveniences. I appreciate all of the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
About 30min (off rush hour, Depends on where in East Cobb to where in Alpharetta).

But East Cobb has all the same stores (more or less), and lots of entertainment options.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:50 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
There is a stark difference in character between Smyrna/Vinings and East Cobb. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Smyrna/Vinings like Sandy Springs trends towards more of the intown vibe and East Cobb is surburban sprawl in competition with Alpharetta and Roswell. Smyrna is more of a small city. Smyrna has more family-friendly "affordable" ~ $300k-$400k development right now and East Cobb is trending towards castles as new development. So, from that perspective, it depends on what you want. Otherwise, everyone would live in one place or the other :-) So you really need to come out and see the two communities. I think your idea of renting the first year is a sound one. Going just off statistics is probably not a good idea.

From an entertainment perspective, Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland is better than East Cobb for the restaurant scene, with more mixed-use around, Vinings nearby, and more going in (like Riverview Landing and Belmont Hills). However, for everything else, East Cobb is about the same. That's because the entertainment district for East Cobb is still Cumberland (e.g. Cobb Energy Center) and Marietta - just like for Vinings - with only maybe 5 min more travel time to Cumberland from the central parts of East Cobb than from Smyrna or Vinings. So Braves, Cobb Energy Center, Dave & Busters, etc, will still be within reach. East Cobb lacks as easy access to Vinings, downtown Atlanta and midtown and the non-chain restaurant scene won't be as good as the mixed-use areas in the Smyrna/Vinings area. On the flip side, East Cobb has slightly better access to downtown Sandy Springs and Perimeter Center (via Johnson Ferry) than Smyrna or Vinings, and only slightly worse access to Lenox in Buckhead.

Last edited by netdragon; 07-07-2014 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
You would have no reason to go to Alpharetta. It doesn't really offer anything that isn't in East Cobb.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
East Cobb seems to be a hot place to be. How far would it be to get to all of the shops and enterainment in Alpharetta? We like having access to those conveniences. I appreciate all of the input.

If you settle in East Cobb, there will be no need for you to venture to Alpharetta--unless you just want to do so.

East Cobb offers the same conveniences, shops, and entertainment as Alpharetta.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 PM

157 posts, read 307,502 times
Didn't realize East Cobb had so much to offer. So I guess there are really several locations that could be a good fit for my family. Thanks everyone for all of the input. I apprecaite each one of you taking time to share your thoughts and offer guidance. If there is anything else we need to think about please feel free.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
You would have no reason to go to Alpharetta. It doesn't really offer anything that isn't in East Cobb.
I didn't see your response before I responded...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta