Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 PM

28 posts, read 37,850 times

Advertisements

ATL resident, who live in the suburbs, what are the main reasons you live in the suburbs? I know education and crime are obvious factors, but what are some smaller details of living in the city that you do not like? What do other cities have that you have seen that Atlanta does not?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Mike - Many of us have lived Intown - some for a very long time and loved it. Some of us moved to the suburbs for affordability and great schools. Some, I'm sure, for other reasons. You'll receive a host of replies on this question but most responses should not be because one area is better than the other. It really all depends on where you are in your life and what you desire.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
I work in the Burbs. If I worked in town, I'd live there too. I'd prefer to be in town, so I am actively making plans to find work there.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM

559 posts, read 832,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_IN_AUG View Post
ATL resident, who live in the suburbs, what are the main reasons you live in the suburbs? I know education and crime are obvious factors, but what are some smaller details of living in the city that you do not like? What do other cities have that you have seen that Atlanta does not?
Job, friends, church, business interests, familiarity with the area, local relationships, local civic involvement.

It was never a conscious decision of "I'm choosing the suburbs instead of living downtown." Just had a lot of reasons to live in Smyrna/Vinings and no reasons to live downtown.

Everything that matters in my life right now is here, and I don't like commutes, so I've always just lived here.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Mike - Many of us have lived Intown - some for a very long time and loved it. Some of us moved to the suburbs for affordability and great schools. Some, I'm sure, for other reasons. You'll receive a host of replies on this question but most responses should not be because one area is better than the other. It really all depends on where you are in your life and what you desire.
What is "Intown"? Does this refer to the area simply inside 285?

Bulkhead is considered Atlanta still right? I read that it is in the city limits, but people generally consider its own entity.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM

So would you guys say that native Atlantans are more likely to live in the suburbs?

People who move to Atlanta (like me), are wanting to go there for the city life, we do not really think to much of suburbs, I doubt I will ever go to Buckhead or Riverdale, and do not consider them as options, although Buckhead is somewhat in my field of business (Marketing).

I guess the appeal of the city has lost its light with some.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Cost and crime. The places with less crime are too expensive, the places I could afford are overrun with crime. Clean up the entire city and you'll have more reasonably-priced, lower-crime areas open up. We're starting to see that I think with the western (the not pointless side) Beltline. Traffic is another. Run the buses on reasonable frequencies and I could use them to perform my daily errands instead of having to drive. I've driven in numerous parts of Atlanta at all different times of the day for each area, I don't understand how people can tolerate being socked-in with traffic that bad, so often.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_IN_AUG View Post
So would you guys say that native Atlantans are more likely to live in the suburbs?

People who move to Atlanta (like me), are wanting to go there for the city life, we do not really think to much of suburbs, I doubt I will ever go to Buckhead or Riverdale, and do not consider them as options, although Buckhead is somewhat in my field of business (Marketing).

I guess the appeal of the city has lost its light with some.
The area covered is a huge difference. There are many more suburbs than COA (City of Atlanta). That said, MANY more people live in the suburbs versus intown.

My reason is because the grandmother (maternal) of my child lives so far up 85 (Jackson County) that it only made sense to live OTP. I also commute to the airport. It isn't pretty, but I am literally half way.

Do I like it? NO! I don't really have much of a choice at this point though.. if I want to continue free family child care.

Would I live in town? In a heart beat. Gwinnett County isn't that bad of an area though.. traffic congestion aside. I especially like Downtown Norcross and the amenities of Pleasant Hill very close by... and Doraville for that matter. Buford Highway Farmers Market is a favorite shopping spot of mine. I do REALLY wish MARTA was expanded into Gwinnett though. That is a huge inconvenience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Cost and crime. The places with less crime are too expensive, the places I could afford are overrun with crime. Clean up the entire city and you'll have more reasonably-priced, lower-crime areas open up. We're starting to see that I think with the western (the not pointless side) Beltline. Traffic is another. Run the buses on reasonable frequencies and I could use them to perform my daily errands instead of having to drive. I've driven in numerous parts of Atlanta at all different times of the day for each area, I don't understand how people can tolerate being socked-in with traffic that bad, so often.
You could not find any areas close to Downtown with little crime?

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Once you have kids, you will not want to live in the city. If you're young and single, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta