Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,607 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I am a female looking to move out on my own from my parents place. I have always lived on the south side of ATL (Riverdale until I was 5, and Fayette County since then), and I've always liked the thought of living in or closer to the city. I am in my upper 20s, white and gay if this makes a difference (not saying I want to live around similar people... my gf is black.. but gay friendly is definitely nice.. though most of ATL in general seems this way).

Budget - looking to own... can't stand the thought of my money being poured into something that I'll never even own. Something 300k or under would be nice. My car is paid for and I don't have any debt or many other bills right now.

House/Condo/Townhome - I have been thinking more about a condo/townhome. I have never lived in one and like the feel of them.... having my own home seems a little scary? Right now I live in the country and I don't really like it... I feel like anyone could bust in the windows and kill us without anyone ever knowing.

Employment Status - I work at the Airport. The ghetto areas around there are a no. Hapeville is ok (and Nick's greek food is delicious), but I don't want to live anywhere near the airport. MARTA is an option.. I have always drove but I wouldn't mind public transit although I do get off at 11pm and safety is a concern. With my odd hours I don't feel like traffic would be THAT big of a deal?

No kids in the fear future but pet-friendly is pretty much a must (own 2 cats now and plan on having 2 cats the rest of my life.. along with a dog or 2 one day).

I have been thinking about Decatur or maybe the area around Buckhead/North Druid Hills. I like a lot of areas around there... I also like little 5 points and the Edgewood shopping area but I'm not sure what it'd be like living around there. Despite being from the greater Atlanta area I haven't spent a ton of time in or around the city.. at least not enough to know about living around there. I have considered around Atlantic Station but crime seems too high there for my liking.

Anyway.. I am really ignorant when it comes to things like that so any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM

524 posts, read 522,564 times
Zillow.com is a good resource if you don't want to use a real estate agent or broker. Input the area you're interested in. Then click on the drop down options to narrow your search, such as price range or the number of bedrooms. Good luck with your home search.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,385,910 times
It's a shame you don't want to live near the airport - I would totally plug East Point. Plenty of interracials, and definitely a lot of gays too. And afforadable. There are some good townhomes off Norman Berry - new-ish construction.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,909,465 times
I think you're on the right track with Decatur/North Druid Hills area. Find a place that has ample room for parking and closest to the north part of city of Decatur. Commute at that time of day would be no problem, but that could change if you ever work regular 9-5

Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,887,224 times
I work down near the airport. I live in Ormewood Park and know other folks that do the same commute from the Eastside neighborhoods. Some live in the neighborhoods just north of me and walk to MARTA.

It sounds like a fit for what you are looking for. Lots of interesting, fun, quirky places to find your nitch to hang out around here. Should be able to find a place in your price range fine. And it should be a good investment as the Beltline will be coming down this way and the area continues to grow.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 PM

477 posts, read 594,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Darkholme View Post
Hello, all.
X-Men fan, I take it.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:06 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,783,568 times
What's your budget? You could look in NW ATL near Buckhead like Berkeley Park, Underwood Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta