Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,385,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
So what?

Hop on a bus. If you need help with this, private message me and I'll teach you how to use Google.

Ugh. it's ok to lack vision or understanding of things 30 years out. it's another to be belligerent about it.

But this is why the US is so backwards compared to the rest of the civilized world. As a people we are belligerently stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Connect places that warrant the investment. Connecting a small city of a couple hundred thousand people at the cost of several billion is beyond atupid.

How do you propose connecting large places without connecting small places as well?

if you think that this is just about Columbus and Atlanta in some sort of vacuum, we probably need to just stop having this conversation. But thank you for playing.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM

559 posts, read 833,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
But this is why the US is so backwards compared to the rest of the civilized world. As a people we are belligerently stupid.
I'm not belligerently stupid, and I think Columbus to ATL rail would be a complete waste of time/money. Columbus has more in common w/ East Alabama and doesn't have enough business synergy w/ ATL. Nice little city and I love the Hughston Clinic, but worthy of rail to ATL? Heck, no.

Now Macon to ATL? or Savannah to ATL? or even Chattanooga to ATL? Yeah, I could get on board with all of those.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:19 PM

Before writing the idea off as 'stupid" and a waste of money. Look at this map and ask yourself some questions:

1. Why were railroads built through these places before cars?
2. Why were highways built along the same routes?
3. Why does the backbone fiber of the internet follow these same routes?

All of the answers are based on geographic suitability and connectivity. That's why these places became cities - they were transportation routes to other places first. They will always stay transportation routes, due to pure geography.

If you want Georgia to remain relevant even when all the oil dries up, or the middle east nukes itself to oblivion, invest in high-speed rail. Energy Security and High Speed Rail

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,535,429 times
gtcorndog has a point this time. Billions of dollars for a 150mph-220mph rail link to Columbus is not money well spent. Where Mr. corndog and I likely diverge (again) is support for a slower option. Without seeing the 30 page study mentioned in the article, I don't know what the other options are, but I think most people in this thread have missed that part. The true high speed component is just an option, and over the distance to Columbus, wouldn't save that much time over conventional speed rail.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
gtcorndog has a point this time. Billions of dollars for a 150mph-220mph rail link to Columbus is not money well spent. Where Mr. corndog and I likely diverge (again) is support for a slower option. Without seeing the 30 page study mentioned in the article, I don't know what the other options are, but I think most people in this thread have missed that part. The true high speed component is just an option, and over the distance to Columbus, wouldn't save that much time over conventional speed rail.

But High-speed is far more efficient. If you're gonna do it, do it right. even if doing it right is more expensive "right now".

Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM

"The Express trains would be high-speed electric, capable of speeds of 150-220 mph along the Interstate route, making the trip in about an hour flat.

The Express train system would be the costliest at $3.9 billion, but would also be expected to generate the most income, eventually producing 1.5 times its operations and maintenance costs. The projected cost of a one-way ticket is also $41.42."

Consultants deem high-speed rail to Atlanta economically feasible | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,535,429 times
I find that study's conclusions to be dubious. They're trying to claim that an extra 30 minutes, won't attract enough business to make it work?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,144,382 times
I would love a train from Atlanta to Savannah...to Columbus though?.... LOL. Columbus is irrelevant.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM

I was just talking to a co-worker of mine, and he did make a good point - if this is a test case to show how awesome high-speed rail is - it needs to be somewhere people want to go. Savannah does make more sense in that context. I always think in terms of maps. To me it is a leg to New Orleans, which is another port. But to people who don't think in terms of logistics, which admittedly the rest of the population - Savannah would be more attractive for leisure travel. or Charlotte, or RD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta