Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:15 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times

Advertisements

Remember when Swatch watches were popular, but the company did not adapt to the digital watch model, and became extinct. I predict the current work model of 9 to 5 will become totally irrelevant in the City of Atlanta. You already have many people working from home, but technology will do nothing, but speed up the process. Millennials are currently flocking to inner city parts of Midtown and Downtown Atlanta. Of course the perimeter and Buckhead will continue to support new office tower growth. However, the city of Atlanta will continue to see many new residential towers, as millenials continue to flock inside the perimeter and work from home. I'm really glad Downtown Atlanta did not overbuild after the housing market recovery. Downtown Atlanta is on track for some good solid residential project growth in the future. Particularly areas such as the Gulch, West Atlanta into the Vinings, and areas into Castleberry Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 04:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Remember when Swatch watches were popular, but the company did not adapt to the digital watch model, and became extinct. I predict the current work model of 9 to 5 will become totally irrelevant in the City of Atlanta. You already have many people working from home, but technology will do nothing, but speed up the process. Millennials are currently flocking to inner city parts of Midtown and Downtown Atlanta. Of course the perimeter and Buckhead will continue to support new office tower growth. However, the city of Atlanta will continue to see many new residential towers, as millenials continue to flock inside the perimeter and work from home. I'm really glad Downtown Atlanta did not overbuild after the housing market recovery. Downtown Atlanta is on track for some good solid residential project growth in the future. Particularly areas such as the Gulch, West Atlanta into the Vinings, and areas into Castleberry Hill.
When did Buckhead become its own city?

Old 08-17-2014, 04:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
I really don't think the 9-5 office model is close to obsolete. Too many employers want the employees where they can keep an eye on them, there too much chance for too many distractions at home. Sure it works for some people, but not all of them. Then there are issues such as hardware support, physical document support, and security issues.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:33 PM

322 posts, read 586,752 times
Its not like a majority of workers will be working from home anyway, or at least not anytime soon. Not sure where that came from.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
He can see the future.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:58 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
He can see the future.
Sounds like the alternate future from Back to the Future II.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
January 1, 1908 Buckhead | Georgia.gov

Old 08-17-2014, 05:30 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Swatch watches is doing just fine not switching to digital - not the best analogy

Why CEOs swear by Swatches - Fortune

Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Well... lets separate 3 things.

-The needs for new office space

-The longevity of the current office model and the 9-5 model

-The difference of millenials.

First and foremost we need new office space for 3 reasons: 1) We continue to grow (demand is growing) 2) The needs of office tenants are changing (therefore what they look for in office space) 3) It is still necessary to attract new companies with white collar jobs to the area (Many of which are interested in consolidating operations from different places and need one large continuous space)

The 9-5 model is already dead and its a bad thing in some ways. Largely people are working beyond this. 8-5, 9-6, 8-6, 8-7, etc... As people are desperate for jobs (or to keep a job) what they will do in the office increases, which is awkwardly problematic since it allows a company more lee-way to not seek new-hires to keep people to only working 8 hours a day.
There is also an increase in people working in different cycles for individual projects and often face really long hours during a project and really short (or no hours) between projects. There is an increase in people being called consultants and an increase in 1099 work.

I disagree with what you say about millennials. Myself being right at the oldest of millennials. I wouldn't say they are seeking to stay home at all. I do agree they are looking for a departure from traditional offices, however it isn't staying out of the office. Millennials are very social. They like collaborative environments. They saw the anxiety generation X'rs had from getting stuck in cubicles of cheaper 1 story office complexes. They want more open space, more spaces for collaboration with more people (but with separate workstations to get what they need to get done). They want office environments to not waste space... fewer corridors, hallways, places away from windows (Natural light really helps people from being depressed at work!). What is interesting is millenials will work in smaller office environments (less square footage), but they want it designed better and they want more money spent on fostering a good workplace environment. Creativity and collaboration is stressed more.

Believe me I do a good bit of work from home and I feel very disconnected from what is going on and often feel it takes more time to handle simple problems, however for myself I work an extremely nontraditional job that won't apply to most.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I really don't think the 9-5 office model is close to obsolete. Too many employers want the employees where they can keep an eye on them, there too much chance for too many distractions at home. Sure it works for some people, but not all of them. Then there are issues such as hardware support, physical document support, and security issues.
As more and more stuff moves to "the cloud", issues of on site IT support will become less important. I have a ubiquitous internet connection so I can connect to my office from anywhere, and I do some support remotely, especially when traveling.

I don't get the need for skyscrapers in Atlanta, in New York, sure, here's land and space issues. Skyscrapers in Atlanta seem to be more for status and prestige. Some even argue they are phallic symbols to compensate for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta