Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,058 times

Advertisements

I am planning to look at a home for sale right on the actual park border. The back yard actually bleeds into the park grounds. I have found mixed reviews on the area from "rough area" to "old retirement area that's very quiet". Those seem to be on far ends of the spectrum if you ask me!

The posts on this forum about Washington Park are all 4+ years old. Anyone in the area have any up to date opinions on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_G View Post
I am planning to look at a home for sale right on the actual park border. The back yard actually bleeds into the park grounds. I have found mixed reviews on the area from "rough area" to "old retirement area that's very quiet". Those seem to be on far ends of the spectrum if you ask me!

The posts on this forum about Washington Park are all 4+ years old. Anyone in the area have any up to date opinions on the area?
Visit the area in the day and at night. Walk around (get out eh car and walk, you'll get a better feel for the area) and talk with residents.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Visit the area in the day and at night. Walk around (get out eh car and walk, you'll get a better feel for the area) and talk with residents.
I agree with the idea and had planned on it, but a few drive bys won't tell me nearly as much as someone who has lived in the area longer than my 10 minute visit.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM

280 posts, read 389,807 times
Quote:
I agree with the idea and had planned on it, but a few drive bys won't tell me nearly as much as someone who has lived in the area longer than my 10 minute visit.
It has defintely improved over the last 4 years. I cycle by on the PATH trail on the weekends. The houses on the East side of the Beltline on the PATH trail are new and well maintained. The Park itself seems safe during the day. The tennis center is a nice draw with families and nice cars and it seems to be the most used area of the Park on weekends. The rest of the Park is frequently empty. Occasionally I see softball games or picnics. Occasionally I see kids in the park who could be innocent or up to some trouble. More homes on the side streets and West of the Beltline are fixed up now and you see people working in their yards or on their cars in the driveways. It is predominantly African American, with some white and Asian families. Going North from there gets you to some very bad nieghborhoods fairly quickly, so I have never biked through the area after dark. The Beltline Trail South of the the Park backs up on middle class looking nieghborhoods, but a quarter mile or so North of the Park it does not feel so safe.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
It has defintely improved over the last 4 years. I cycle by on the PATH trail on the weekends. The houses on the East side of the Beltline on the PATH trail are new and well maintained.
Good news to hear. THe one we are looking at is on the northeast corner of the park. The property actually touches the park property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
The Beltline Trail South of the the Park backs up on middle class looking nieghborhoods, but a quarter mile or so North of the Park it does not feel so safe.
Interesting. As I said, the house we are looking at is on the NE corner of the park. Is the "rough" area you mentioned north of Jos E Boone? Or does it bleed further south from there?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 AM

280 posts, read 389,807 times
Quote:
Good news to hear. THe one we are looking at is on the northeast corner of the park. The property actually touches the park property.

Interesting. As I said, the house we are looking at is on the NE corner of the park. Is the "rough" area you mentioned north of Jos E Boone? Or does it bleed further south from there?
Boone is scary and the first few to many houses to the South are transitional, but I do not go up that way much, prefering to go to the West or South (I generally come from the East).

Old 09-05-2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info Kferq, if we end up in the area I'll contact you. I'll break out the Gary Fisher and we can hit the Beltline!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:15 AM

253 posts, read 303,388 times
I live in Vine City (east of W.Park). I enjoy it, area is actually quiet. Lot of people on my street and block taking care of their homes, and even invosters fixing up their properties. Only "eye sores" are the abandoned and burnt down buildings, and of course you have a lot of burnt out old junkies from the 90s lol but even they are friendly and dont bother you. All I can say is be "conservative" with how you carry yourself, get an alarm, make sure you keep the home well lit with flood lights at night, dont keep anything in plain sight in your car, and dont use or sell drugs lol and you will be fine. Typically the crime in these areas come from people involved in the illegal activities, or people not using common sense and end up getting caught "slipping".

Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
I've only driven around the Morehouse campus a couple of times to pick up my cousin who used to attend school there.

The area is definitely transitional. Dangerous is a relative term, but I would put it on the list of areas in Atlanta where you need to stay alert even if you're just walking down the street after dark.

Some of the houses are great, and a just little landscaping and cleaning would make the aesthetics as nice as any of the other revitalized areas of Atlanta.

Its a shame about the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta