Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Do y'all think Carter and Michelle Nunn will win their elections come November?
There is definitely hope! And if the Democratic voters would get off their a$$es and vote, Carter and Nunn can win this thing!

Most forget that Georgia use to vote for Democratic governors. Once the surge of new citizens started pouring into the state, then Republican Governors became the norm. The first Republican Governor that I can remember in my life time was Sonny Perdue (That name just has Good Ole Boy written all over it).

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 09-19-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'm very unsure of government getting involved with the private sector practices.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
There is definitely hope! And if the Democratic voters would get off their a$$es and vote, Carter and Nunn can win this thing!

Most forget that Georgia use to vote for Democratic governors. Once the surge of new citizens started pouring into the state, then Republican Governors became the norm. The first Republican Governor that I can remember in my life time was Sonny Perdue (That name just has Good Ole Boy written all over it).
Really, I think they've been Republican all along. They were Democrat by tradition. I mean Zell Miller was a Democrat in name only.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Do y'all think Carter and Michelle Nunn will win their elections come November?
Sadly, I don't think so. Georgia is ripe to be a battleground state, but that doesn't mean that fruit is read to be pulled off the tree just yet.

Recent polling is closer than we have been use to in the past, but it is still edging Republican

2014 Georgia Governor: Deal vs. Carter - Polls - HuffPost Pollster

2014 Georgia Senate: Perdue vs. Nunn - Polls - HuffPost Pollster

Something has to change the momentum before the elections, which hasn't been to the democratic newcomers favors so far.

Nunn got his hard in an ad blitz that showed her own words continually agreeing with Obama, which in reality is a bit misleading. In a state like Georgia a white democrat candidate only polls well with independents if they are seen as moderate, which gives Republicans some short-term ammunition.

Carter has a well respected name, but one problem is most don't know him individually well. I think he could make up ground if he could go heavy with an ad blitz and get more meet and greets around the state. So far he is wisely sticking to discussions of education, which has frequently and long-standing been the single most most point of agreement between any divide between black democrats, independents, and white moderate democrats. There is often a rhetorical talk of a power struggle between these groups, yet they continually vote together... the issue is voter turnout. If one group feels marginalized, justly or not, by the candidate turnout suffers.

I wish we could hear more healthy debate over infrastructure, but sadly there is an increasing divide among urban, suburban, and rural populations even amongst liberals. There are no single projects that all can rally behind and they have grown too use to bickering over limited funds the past 25 years.

One thing holds true.... elections after this are going to be even more eye opening.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Really, I think they've been Republican all along. They were Democrat by tradition. I mean Zell Miller was a Democrat in name only.
There is something to the conservative democrats we had in the 60s into the early 90s.

They were a bit more moderate, because they had to be. They still wanted to see things move forward on infrastructure development and education and they didn't try to cut near as much discretionary spending. They were just really careful on what they funded and how.

I think there was a healthier debate within the democratic party to make things work towards a compromise, which allowed deadlocks to be avoided.

With current total Republican control infrastructure spending is down and education spending is down. There are fewer compromises... there is no need for them with total control.

Even in other Republican states, like Texas and North Carolina, they are at least making more progress towards state infrastructure.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 AM

605 posts, read 804,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Even in other Republican states, like Texas and North Carolina, they are at least making more progress towards state infrastructure.
I wouldn't call NC a Republican state.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'm very unsure of government getting involved with the private sector practices.
Well, I'm sure.
Does government have any business using taxpayer money to get into the venture capital business?
Hell, no.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call NC a Republican state.
except we are talking about state politics.

They have a Republican govonor, A Republican Lt. Governor, and my a large margin Republicans control both the upper and lower houses of their general assembly.

The also doesn't speak to how conservative their democratic leaders are, like they use to be here in Georgia.

At the national level they have continually voted Republican for the president, except in one election which they grabbed alot of attention for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta