Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 AM

165 posts, read 169,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Slightly O/T but who the heck approved the Public Storage at the corner of Paces Ferry and Cumberland Pkwy? No other business that that was a lucrative location?

This has perplexed me for the longest time. I remember it used to be a gas station there but figured some new retail would be located there. But a storage facility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
And by "a lot of Cobb-fans", I assume you mean 3 . . . Netdragon, Arjay, and me.

Judging by the constant anti-Cobb propaganda by the other 99.5% of this board, this is an epidemic that must be stopped!

NO MORE POSITIVE NEWS OR VIEWS ON ANYTHING COBB!!!!

Now, you may proceed w/ how stupid BRT is, how corrupt Commissioner Lee is, how the Braves traffic will be worse than Snowmageddon, how racist Cobb was in 1970 for not approving MARTA, how homophobic Cobb was in 1996, and how Cobb is a place where evil, white Republicans oppress minorities, and my personal favorite . . . how Cobb is the only place in Atlanta that allows parking lots in front of retail stores.

By all means, carry on.
Don't forget about me...I'm a Cobb fan as well.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
This has perplexed me for the longest time. I remember it used to be a gas station there but figured some new retail would be located there. But a storage facility?
That corner is very congested - it needed to be something with limited number of cars going in an out. I don't have a problem with Public Storage.

They are not exciting structures or businesses but most of them are well maintained these days and not offensive in appearance.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:08 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
And by "a lot of Cobb-fans", I assume you mean 3 . . . Netdragon, Arjay, and me.

Judging by the constant anti-Cobb propaganda by the other 99.5% of this board, this is an epidemic that must be stopped!

NO MORE POSITIVE NEWS OR VIEWS ON ANYTHING COBB!!!!

Now, you may proceed w/ how stupid BRT is, how corrupt Commissioner Lee is, how the Braves traffic will be worse than Snowmageddon, how racist Cobb was in 1970 for not approving MARTA, how homophobic Cobb was in 1996, and how Cobb is a place where evil, white Republicans oppress minorities, and my personal favorite . . . how Cobb is the only place in Atlanta that allows parking lots in front of retail stores.

By all means, carry on.
Count me in on the fan base. The posts on Cobb are miniscule compared to Atlanta posts. Being temporarily away from the area I appreciate each one. Keep them coming folks. Let the ITPers cry if they want. It's a metro area forum, not a COA only forum.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I know we have a lot of Cobb-fans but I don't think it is reasonable to expect updates on every development from every corner of the metro. For example, off the top of my head, here are just updates for within a 1 mile radius of my house for just the mutli-million dollar+ projects, that have had some significant update in the past few weeks:

Almost none of these updates make it on to this forum. There are other things are not too much further away like Tuner Field, or have not had a major update recently like the development of the Dairy on Memorial, or too small like a new restaurant or the dozens and dozens of individual new homes being built.
Start a thread. Nobody is stopping you.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Slightly O/T but who the heck approved the Public Storage at the corner of Paces Ferry and Cumberland Pkwy? No other business that that was a lucrative location?
I'm pretty sure that was started before they announced the stadium. It's been under construction for what feels like two years.

I think that lot had been vacant since i moved to Atlanta in 2004, so obviously it wasn't under that much demand.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 PM

194 posts, read 317,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Don't forget about me...I'm a Cobb fan as well.

Me to.

Glad to see dirt moving at Belmont Hills also. Maybe Jonquil Plaza might see the same soon. My wife wants Publix or Trader Joes/ mixed use.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Start a thread. Nobody is stopping you.
My problem is not with a lack of meaningful posts on developments. My problem is these Cobb circle-jerk threads that are not on any particular development or topic. This thread is just complaint-bragging about a level of development that is nothing special.

Not sure why Cobb-folks feel so insecure. Not all the development can happen in Cobb. There will be something new announced there soon enough, and I will want to hear about it too.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,048 times
Why is this thread necessary? I don't post "withdrawal" comments just because I haven't heard of any new Perimeter developments in a couple of months!

Quote:
I'm not even much of a Cobb fan (I'm fairly neutral towards that county), and I have to agree with quite a bit of your post (except the 99.5% anti-Cobb thing; we may have some vocal opponents of Cobb County policies, but I don't think that number is anywhere near 99%).

1) If BRT doesn't have dedicated right of way, it is at least a short-sighted idea as far as I'm concerned. Take away the grade separation, and it's just a bus with slightly better signal timing (inb4 gtcorndog and streetcars); for proof, see the waste of money that was the Memorial Drive "BRT" (back during MARTA's days of horribly corrupt finances).

2) I do think that Commissioner Lee did have his hands in some dirty shenanigans during the public review and comment period for the new stadium, but I'll leave Cobb taxpayers to bring him home to roost (if they bother doing so).

3) Those who say that Braves traffic is worse than Snowmageddon never actually lived through Snowmageddon. I highly doubt you'll be stuck in traffic for 10-20 hours just because of a Braves game.

4) Even if it wasn't the only reason, you can't deny that race played a factor in the "no" vote in not just Cobb, but Gwinnett and Clayton as well. Nowadays, I think that most of the opposition to MARTA comes from the tax-averse and those who think that somehow MARTA brings crime.

5) To be fair, most of Georgia was at least somewhat homophobic in 1996. Our sodomy laws weren't struck down until 1998 by the Georgia Supreme Court, and Rep. Bob Barr (R-GA) helped introduce the federal Defense of Marriage Act in 1996 (he partially "apologized" for that in 2008).

6) I agree with the silliness of that statement. I'm African-American and live in Dunwoody (not Cobb, but just as suburban). There are Republican Party officials all over the place, but I don't feel "oppressed".

7) Really? People have been saying that? Wow...

While Cobb County isn't sunshine and rainbows, and I still hope that Cobb does join MARTA someday, I do agree that the anti-Cobb comments on here have gotten a little out of hand in the last year or so.

- skbl17

Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
My problem is not with a lack of meaningful posts on developments. My problem is these Cobb circle-jerk threads that are not on any particular development or topic. This thread is just complaint-bragging about a level of development that is nothing special.

Not sure why Cobb-folks feel so insecure. Not all the development can happen in Cobb. There will be something new announced there soon enough, and I will want to hear about it too.
I didn't get that impression from this post at all. Cumberland is hot. The pace of development overall is just as much a topic as any individual project. When I was in Cobb, the Cumberland area was doing ok but was lagging behind the other edge cities. Glad to hear that it is booming.

I like to hear about Atlanta booming too, there are several posts on here about midtown in particular. But I don't see anyone from Cobb complaining about the fact that the thread is there. Neither is it apropos to use such a vulgar term on the fact that people that have a level of excitement about things going on in their area. or to pass judgment on their emotional well being because they post about it here.

I visit the Atlanta forum twice as much as I do the DFW forum even though I live in DFW now. This forum is one of my best avenues to keep in touch with what is going on back home. I will return one day. Well, I hope I do... the kids are coming of age and if they all marry Texans and settle here and grandbabies start coming, it may be impossible to leave as much as I want to.

At any rate, if a thread is of no interest, just pass it by. I do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta