Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 02:28 AM

29 posts, read 35,602 times

Advertisements

Single white guy here, almost 30 to my great dismay. Been blessed enough to be able to make a living self employed so I've been able to live abroad for awhile. Currently with a family member who lives in the UK but I've been bumming about through Europe and SE Asia after I left the states (born and raised in LA, moved to suburban NY at 16 with mother, college in Austin, then lived in Brooklyn while it was still cool lol)

Looking to return to the states and put down some roots. Atlanta seems like it is the new "it" city and I have heard a lot of good things about it. I've been once for a convention and stayed in downtown a couple of years ago but it gave me a nice vibe.
Would like to find an older established suburb with older homes (not into McMansions and gated communities/HOA), very leafy with the tree cover ATL is known for (supposedly the most forested city yeah?). Diversity isn't a problem however I would prefer a predominantly Caucasian area. The kind of place that attracts more native Georgians than transplants from NJ lol. Far away from the inner city to avoid the problems that come with living in the city, however close enough that I have access to downtown and midtown amenities if need be.

A big thing for the ATL area specifically is I would much prefer it to not be within city limits, and hopefully incorporated as it's own place so Atlanta can't annex it. I was told told to be cognizant of this from a friend in the area especially since I plan to buy and hopefully one day have kids that I don't have to fork out 30 grand on private school for lol. For now I plan to rent an apartment to feel out the area before I commit to a purchase and a mortgage.

If it leans to the right or votes red that'd be a plus, by no means a requirement however.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 AM

222 posts, read 231,571 times
Off the top of my head...Brookhaven is incorporated but still very close to Atlanta (with mass transit options), diverse but still majority caucasian, lots of older homes in old-style neighborhoods, etc. May be a good place to check out.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtravelingman1 View Post
Single white guy here, almost 30 to my great dismay. Been blessed enough to be able to make a living self employed so I've been able to live abroad for awhile. Currently with a family member who lives in the UK but I've been bumming about through Europe and SE Asia after I left the states (born and raised in LA, moved to suburban NY at 16 with mother, college in Austin, then lived in Brooklyn while it was still cool lol)

Looking to return to the states and put down some roots. Atlanta seems like it is the new "it" city and I have heard a lot of good things about it. I've been once for a convention and stayed in downtown a couple of years ago but it gave me a nice vibe.
Would like to find an older established suburb with older homes (not into McMansions and gated communities/HOA), very leafy with the tree cover ATL is known for (supposedly the most forested city yeah?). Diversity isn't a problem however I would prefer a predominantly Caucasian area. The kind of place that attracts more native Georgians than transplants from NJ lol. Far away from the inner city to avoid the problems that come with living in the city, however close enough that I have access to downtown and midtown amenities if need be.

A big thing for the ATL area specifically is I would much prefer it to not be within city limits, and hopefully incorporated as it's own place so Atlanta can't annex it. I was told told to be cognizant of this from a friend in the area especially since I plan to buy and hopefully one day have kids that I don't have to fork out 30 grand on private school for lol. For now I plan to rent an apartment to feel out the area before I commit to a purchase and a mortgage.

If it leans to the right or votes red that'd be a plus, by no means a requirement however.

Any suggestions?
The city of Decatur or Avondale Estates are your best bets. Avondale Estates is established and older and definitely provides what you may be looking for "very leafy", mostly Caucasian but still inside the Perimeter (Inside of I-285).

Old 12-10-2014, 01:19 PM

What do you guys know about Marietta? And Roswell? Both look good on paper but you guys live there in the area so your opinion is valued.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:49 PM

222 posts, read 231,571 times
Quote:
What do you guys know about Marietta? And Roswell? Both look good on paper but you guys live there in the area so your opinion is valued.
Personally, I love both areas. I grew up just outside of Marietta in East Cobb.

Quote:
older established suburb with older homes (not into McMansions and gated communities/HOA
Marietta and Roswell will both be a mix of those things above. Lots of new McMansions but also a good amount of older neighborhoods with lots of tree canopy.

Quote:
however close enough that I have access to downtown and midtown amenities if need be.
You are looking at 30-40 minutes without traffic from Marietta/Roswell into the city itself. If that meets your criteria of "close enough"...it's hard to beat the area in terms of safety and quality of the schools. Downtown Roswell has really turned into a nice area of upscale restaurants and bars as well.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
Personally, I love both areas. I grew up just outside of Marietta in East Cobb.

Marietta and Roswell will both be a mix of those things above. Lots of new McMansions but also a good amount of older neighborhoods with lots of tree canopy.

You are looking at 30-40 minutes without traffic from Marietta/Roswell into the city itself. If that meets your criteria of "close enough"...it's hard to beat the area in terms of safety and quality of the schools. Downtown Roswell has really turned into a nice area of upscale restaurants and bars as well.
By the "city itself" do you mean into city limits? Or to get downtown?
I don't need to commute and I don't envision myself spending all my days in the city. However, I wouldn't want to feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere, and would like to be able to go into the city for dinner or to go out etc.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
"close enough that I have access to downtown and midtown amenities if need be."

as recommended Brookhaven, Decatur

Roswell and Marietta are great places too, but too far for regular excursions into the city

Old 12-10-2014, 03:14 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Quote:
I live in downtown Marietta, and can get to Midtown Atlanta in less than 20 minutes on the weekends (yes, I have timed it, and I actually drive more slowly than most). East Cobb and Roswell would be a bit longer, yes, as they are a little farther from the interstate.

We are really enjoying Downtown Marietta, having moved here just three months ago after 16 years in Smyrna. We can walk to the Square in 15 minutes for restaurants, shops and one of the largest weekend farmer's markets in the entire metro area. There is a good mix of older housing stock and new construction that has been pretty well blended into the existing landscape (smaller lots, craftsman style houses, largely close together) with a lot of mature foliage. The main Cobb County library is a 10 minute walk, and we have enjoyed having that close as well. It seems that there's always something going on in the Square... Festivals and the like.

The historic downtown area of Roswell is small but very quaint also, with several very good restaurants. I do wish I could uproot a couple of them and move them to Downtown Marietta, but overall I prefer Marietta as it has a bit more of the feel of a true small city, mainly because of the Square and the courthouses, while Roswell has one linear block that is absolutely fantastic but then the area becomes pretty suburban again.

Much of East Cobb is very nice. It definitely has a more suburban feel than Roswell and much more than the area around the Square in Marietta. Not much you can walk to in East Cobb, but the houses are very nice, the amenities are good and the schools are top notch.

We were looking for a taste of A city without being in the city of Atlanta itself, and the area around the Marietta Square has provided that in spades.

Good luck in your search and let us know if you have further questions, and what you ultimately decide to do!

Old 12-10-2014, 07:06 PM

What about the Southern Suburbs? Such as Fayette County? Anyone can give me any info or comparison?

Old 12-10-2014, 07:20 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
What about the Southern Suburbs? Such as Fayette County? Anyone can give me any info or comparison?
Fayette County is about 25-30 from downtown. Its majority white but the houses are relatively new. You could live in Clayton which has older neighborhoods, but it isn't majority white. (Many in Forest Park, Morrow, and Jonesboro like to believe it is though). If it wasn't for your majority white requirement I would point you to Lake City, Morrow, or Jonesboro. They have a 15-20 minute commute to Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta