Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Atlanta, trying to have what NYC has had for 10+ years. Always. Constantly.
If you're going to troll, at least get your dates right...it hasn't been ten years, more like four:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit Wireless
Transit Wireless was formed specifically to meet the Metropolitan Transit Authority’s (MTA) requirement to provide a shared wireless infrastructure to enable commercial wireless services for the New York City Transit Authority (NYCT) riders within the underground subway stations and related opportunities.

In 2010, the MTA, NYCT and Transit Wireless partnered together to provide wireless and Wi-Fi connectivity to the 279 underground stations throughout the city. In 2011, six initial stations in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan were deployed with commercial 2G and 3G cellular and Wi-Fi services. This initial build was used as a successful baseline for the structure of the network.
Plus, I hope by "NYC", you mean small parts of it. I sure as hell didn't have WiFi in the Brooklyn subway stations I used during my visit last year.

In fact, the MTA isn't even finished with its buildout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit Wireless
Phase 2 launched in October of 2014 covering the entire borough of Queens and several stations in Manhattan, including Bryant Park, Herald Square and Grand Central Terminal. The entire 279 station project is expected to be completed by 2017.
- skbl17

Last edited by skbl17; 10-07-2015 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM

272 posts, read 271,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
If you're going to troll, at least get your dates right...it hasn't been ten years, more like four:

Plus, I hope by "NYC", you mean small parts of it. I sure as hell didn't have WiFi in the Brooklyn subway stations I used during my visit last year.

- skbl17
Oh yes, let's knock the city that hasn't finished rolling it out yet versus the city that never gets out of the planning stages.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Oh yes, let's knock the city that hasn't finished rolling it out yet
That's Atlanta

Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Nope, it's not knocking. I just think that the whole 'Ha, look at Atlanta's cute attempt to do something NYC did a decade ago' thing is unwarranted. What was the point of that, to make Atlanta feel bad because a global economic and cultural powerhouse did something first? Big deal.

A lot of us (myself included) are sick and tired of people holding up NYC as a measuring stick for Atlanta's progress. "Oh, that's cute, but NYC did this 20 years ago!" "Oh, that's cute, Atlanta's building a second airport; NYC did that decades ago!" Homers, trolls, the media, city leaders, and chambers of commerce need to understand that not everything Atlanta - or any sunbelt city, really - does has to be measured against NYC's efforts in the same department. NYC is NYC, a behemoth in its own right; no other city in the United States, no matter how loved by C-D, can compare favorably. Not now, not ever.

- skbl17, a NYC transplant

Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Nope, it's not knocking. I just think that the whole 'Ha, look at Atlanta's cute attempt to do something NYC did a decade ago' thing is unwarranted. What was the point of that, to make Atlanta feel bad because a global economic and cultural powerhouse did something first? Big deal.

A lot of us (myself included) are sick and tired of people holding up NYC as a measuring stick for Atlanta's progress. "Oh, that's cute, but NYC did this 20 years ago!" "Oh, that's cute, Atlanta's building a second airport; NYC did that decades ago!" Homers, trolls, the media, city leaders, and chambers of commerce need to understand that not everything Atlanta - or any sunbelt city, really - does has to be measured against NYC's efforts in the same department. NYC is NYC, a behemoth in its own right; no other city in the United States, no matter how loved by C-D, can compare favorably. Not now, not ever.

- skbl17, a NYC transplant
And even then, NYC is not always the bastion of great transit planning and "getting things done" (see the massive cost overruns and delays on the 7 train extension, East Side Access, and Second Avenue Subway projects).

Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
And even then, NYC is not always the bastion of great transit planning and "getting things done" (see the massive cost overruns and delays on the 7 train extension, East Side Access, and Second Avenue Subway projects).
Yeah, it will be a while until the Second Avenue Subway is finished. Then again, that project has been on the drawing board for decades and decades and decades.

Also, the MTA did just open the one-station 7 train extension. The first train was packed and it looked exciting!

- skbl17

Old 10-07-2015, 03:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:

- skbl17
By 2017 all 277 stations will have wifi. Right now only borough that has wifi is Queens

Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Yes the delays were hideous but now it's finished. Finally and I found transit in paris to be a lot better than MTA

Old 10-07-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it will be a while until the Second Avenue Subway is finished. Then again, that project has been on the drawing board for decades and decades and decades.

Also, the MTA did just open the one-station 7 train extension. The first train was packed and it looked exciting!

- skbl17
They are already running trains on part of the 2nd Ave line now it's suppose to be ready by next year

Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Nice!

I heard Verizon is rolling out some very fast wireless in the ATL. Wonder if that has anything to do with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: