Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM

708 posts, read 999,766 times

Advertisements

Reed to announce Underground Atlanta's redevelopment tomorrow (Update) | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

CAN'T WAIT TILL TOMORROW!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:10 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
What y'all think it's gonna be?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What y'all think it's gonna be?
The world's largest strip club...

Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM

560 posts, read 667,566 times
Cobb County bought it. Tim Lee's moving Underground Atlanta across the river.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:17 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Underground goes through this every decade and continues to be a waste. I have no faith the latest redevelopment will do anything to make this place worth visiting... Unless you want bootleg DVDs and knockoff handbags.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Let's be honest: It's not the development itself moreso than the "element" that exists around it. Redevelopment will be nice, but until you eliminate the real problem, bandaid fixes don't solve much of anything.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:22 AM

445 posts, read 516,623 times
I'm optimistic about this development, because of two other things: (1) the increased interest in Downtown living among younger people; and (2) GSU's change to more of a residential school.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
I hope that a renewed UA will prompt the city to clean up the Five Points area.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:47 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Yes, the problem with the past developments are they were geared around making Underground an entertainment zone, instead of an actual neighborhood. It's hard to have a pure entertainment zone, unless your entire economy is dedicated to it, see New Orleans & Vegas. This seems like the first development to turn Five Points into a neighborhood, because people who live in the area actually care about it's upkeep.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Yes, the problem with the past developments are they were geared around making Underground an entertainment zone, instead of an actual neighborhood. It's hard to have a pure entertainment zone, unless your entire economy is dedicated to it, see New Orleans & Vegas. This seems like the first development to turn Five Points into a neighborhood, because people who live in the area actually care about it's upkeep.
This I am in accordance with. Underground Atlanta has always fascinated me due to how it came into being. It is arguably the most interesting part of Atlanta. Those preserved fronts are amazing. I've always thought that it was at it's best in the past when it was Atlanta's Bourbon Street. If residential growth comes to downtown, UA will revive without much help. I can understand Atlanta's leaders having problems doing something with it because it's HARD to think of what could work there. The problem with some of the ideas others have had in making it a "neighborhood" or an "artist colony" is that the historical buildings may be changed or otherwise destroyed for all practical purposes. I still think that they should be preserved as they were when they existed the first time. I used to think it should be a "time capsule" of Atlanta's rail history and days gone by. Somewhat similar to Williamsburg, Va.'s "living museum" of colonial America. I felt like a railroad "show" living museum would of been a good idea. However, it's hard to pull that off without looking somewhat tacky. Williamsburg was nice in the past, but now it's a full-blown tourist trap all around it with waterparks and "colonial" motels. Still, the idea of a Publix in there doesn't really do it justice to me. It's hard getting something to work without being kitschy. This is one of Atlanta's final chances to preserve a significant part of it's past. It's hard to come up with something that preserves the essence of it, moves it forward, and makes people WANT to go there. I'm not sure the answer has arrived yet, but I will say that the best parts of cities are what grows organically, not what is "made." Just my two cents as a future Atlanta area resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta