Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 17,837 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are planning to move to the Atlanta suburbs from NY by the summer. We have 2 young kids so good schools are a priority for us. We are coming to visit this weekend to check out some neighborhoods. Commuting from work is not important as we both work from home. I am also wondering if we should contact a real estate agent before this weekend to help us find a good neighborhood (even though we won't be ready to purchase a house until the summer). Any help on what towns/neighborhoods to look at would be appreciated!
Budget: 225k for a 4 bedroom house
Location: anywhere within 30 miles from atlanta(we both work from home but would like to be close enough to Atlanta for recreational activities)
Schools are important to us
Looking for a safe neighborhood
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:24 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,753 times
You are going to get lots of answers to this question as the Atlanta area is massive with lots of different options.
I'm going to suggest Peachtree City , on the southwest side of Atlanta.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Thanks! Peachtree city seemed to be more expensive though....

Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
From Newnan to Peachtree City, Tyrone and Fayetteville are nice and you can find that price and good schools. However, if you want to be closer to amenities I would suggest the northern suburbs. Peachtree City would limit you to that immediate area and driving to downtown. The best schools are in East Cobb, North Fulton and parts of Gwinnett. Don't be afraid to be more than 30 miles from downtown. From the northside you would be closer to midtown Atlanta and Buckhead than Downtown, all of which have a lot of options, bars, restaurants, etc. I like the Suwanee area. Peachtree Ridge HS and N. Gwinnett HS are both very good (look at greatschools.com, they have ratings and attendance zones to make sure you end up in the right school). Collins Hill HS is also a good cluster. While you'd be 30 miles or more from downtown, you would be close to a minor league hockey team and minor league baseball team. Close to Sugarloaf Mills, close to the Mall of GA and Suwanee has a "town center", a mixed use area with shops and a large park space. All sorts of public events throughout the year. It's a very family friendly area. You would also be close to Lake Lanier. The downside is you'd be far from the new Braves stadium in Cobb County. Also on the other side of Atlanta from the airport. However, I think you can find plenty of homes in your price range.

N. Fulton:
North Fulton is filled with high achieving high schools. GA 400 has been the center of development and wealth from Buckhead to Perimeter Center/Sandy Springs to Roswell and Alpharetta. Johns Creek is the safest city (I think) in GA. Milton is also very safe. I'm not as familiar with the area as far as attractions, but it does have plenty to offer. Also, you can drive south on 400 to the N Springs Marta station and take the train to Buckhead, Midtown/Downtown and the airport. Easy drive up 400 to the N GA mountains. Easy access to the west side of Lake Lanier. Only issue is price, not sure how good of a house 225 gets you.

E Cobb:
Some of the highest scoring schools in the state are in East Cobb (and house prices reflect that). Also not as familiar with this area for amenities but you'd be closest to the new Braves stadium. You can forget about Marta. No access to Marta along 75. Gwinnett can at least go to the Doraville Station near 85 in Dekalb county. There are also great schools in north and west Cobb but you'd be farther out. Close to Lake Allatoona. Not too far from the airport. Not a terrible drive to midtown but harder to get to Buckhead.

This is getting a little farther than you might like but South Forsyth county also has some top quality schools and cheaper prices. Farther out on 85 in Gwinnett has cheaper prices and great schools. Just depends if you want jam packed suburbs with more people and traffic, or more of a suburban/exurban area.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle855 View Post
Hello! My husband and I are planning to move to the Atlanta suburbs from NY by the summer. We have 2 young kids so good schools are a priority for us. We are coming to visit this weekend to check out some neighborhoods. Commuting from work is not important as we both work from home. I am also wondering if we should contact a real estate agent before this weekend to help us find a good neighborhood (even though we won't be ready to purchase a house until the summer). Any help on what towns/neighborhoods to look at would be appreciated!
Budget: 225k for a 4 bedroom house
Location: anywhere within 30 miles from atlanta(we both work from home but would like to be close enough to Atlanta for recreational activities)
Schools are important to us
Looking for a safe neighborhood
Thanks!
All of the suggestions that were given in the responses to your inquiry by go falcons and sedimenjerry were excellent, it's just a matter of you and your family deciding where in the suburbs of the massive Atlanta metro area you would like to live.

My only concern is your somewhat limited budget of only $225k for a 4 bedroom house.

I'm not necessarily all that sure that you might be able to find a quality 4-bedroom house for only $225k in this current real estate market of rising home prices in the Atlanta metro area.

Finding a quality 4-bedroom house for that price may potentially be somewhat of a challenge, particularly in many closer-in suburban areas with excellent schools.

It's a good thing that you and your husband are willing to be as far as 30 miles out from Atlanta because you potentially may have to go that far out to increase your chances of finding a quality 4-bedroom house for only $225k.

You should first look in all of the places that go falcons and sedimenjerry recommended (Fayette County, East Cobb County, North Fulton County, the Suwanee area of Gwinnett County, South Forsyth, etc) because of the excellence of the schools in those locations.

However, if you have trouble finding a quality 4-bedroom home within your price point of $225k and under in those areas (which is a very real possibility in this real estate market of rising home prices), you can look in some farther-out areas with very good schools where you MIGHT potentially have more success finding a quality 4-bedroom home at your price point of $225k and under.

Some farther-out places (outer-suburban and exurban areas) where you might look if you are not able to find what you are looking for in closer-in suburban area:

> Western Forsyth County in the attendance zone for West Forsyth High School...

> Northern Forsyth County in the attendance zone for North Forsyth High School...

> Northern Gwinnett County in the attendance zones for Lanier, Mountain View and Mill Creek high schools...

> Eastern Gwinnett County in the attendance zones for Grayson, Archer and Dacula high schools...

> Walton County in the attendance zones for Loganville and Walnut Grove high schools...

> Hall County in the attendance zones for Flowery Branch and North Hall high schools...

> Western Barrow County in the attendance zone for Appalachee High School...

> Cherokee County in the attendance zones for Woodstock, Etowah, River Ridge, Sequoyah, Creekview and Cherokee high schools...

> Paulding County in the attendance zones for East Paulding and North Paulding high schools...

> Southern Bartow County in the attendance zone for Woodland High School...

> Henry County in the attendance zones for Union Grove, Ola, Dutchtown, Locust Grove, Woodland, Eagle's Landing high schools...

> Coweta County in the attendance zones for Northgate, East Coweta and Newnan high schools...

> Pickens and Dawson counties in the very scenic high foothills of the Southern Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks! Any suggestions as to how to search by school or county on a website? Realtor.com doesn't offer this option

Old 01-11-2015, 01:36 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Greatschools has a great map that lets you look at ratings and attendance zones for most schools in the area. You can look at high schools, middle and elementary. Adding to the list by Born 2 roll, I would look at Parkview High in southern Gwinnett and Brookwood High in southern Gwinnett (where I live). It's farther off the freeway (which is both good and bad) but high scoring schools. Safe areas and Scenic Highway has tons of shopping. Also not far from Stone Mountain.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:37 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Atlanta Real Estate let you search by school

Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 PM

111 posts, read 223,624 times
Redfin.com lets you search by any school - it's my favorite real estate search engine.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:49 PM

161 posts, read 219,225 times
I'm going to suggest Woodstock and Canton--both in Cherokee county. Far out for a daily commute but very doable for occasional trips into Atlanta.

I like the Harry Norman real estate website.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta