Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,281 times

Advertisements

Hi All!

My wife and I are looking to move from Ormewood Park to something a little larger and we love Dupont Commons. It appears to be a strong community and you really get a lot for your money it seems. With that being said, we do have some concerns. We don't have any children yet, but we aren't 100% sure about Bolton Academy and we didn't know if anyone had any feedback on this. We'd also love some more information about the area. Do you all feel that things will be changing around the area and if more shops, restaurants, etc. were in the works for nearby?

It also doesn't seem like the appreciation for the neighborhood is that big, but that is also understandable since it looks like many bought at the height of the market and it is maybe levelling out now...I could be wrong though

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
We looked at DuPont Commons not quite a year ago, just to get a feel for other Brock Built developments, as we were close to making an offer on one of their new homes just off the Square in Marietta. We were very impressed with what we saw at DuPont Commons, so much so that we briefly considered searching for our home there instead, though we hadn't given any though to living within the City of Atlanta up until that point. We ultimately chose the new Brock Built home near the Square in Marietta, and part of what made us comfortable with the decision was seeing the way Brock finished the DuPont Commons development... It really looks great, and as our neighborhood is still a work in progress, it was good to see that Brock finishes things, and does so very nicely. That is proving to be the case now that we are settled in Marietta as well. We also met some very friendly people at DuPont Commons one night and it does seem to have a wonderful community feel, which is another thing we wanted and ultimately found in Marietta also.

We were very pleased with the Brock construction quality and process. They are almost entirely built out at DuPont Commons, so presumably you'll be buying on the secondary market rather than new construction, but they do give you an awful lot for your money, with standard finishes that would be upgrades from most other builders at similar price points.

To answer your questions about the DuPont Commons neighborhood and surroundings itself, I'm afraid I don't know much about schools and retail and such, as we never got very serious about looking there. We had similar concerns about the retail and restaurant scene... Your nearest Publix, for instance, is either on Collier Road or in Vinings or Smyrna... Not the of the world, but not exactly close by, either. Still, it is a pretty close drive to both Vinings and the Westside, and the rumor is always swirling that something is finally going to be done with the shopping plaza where Moores Mill runs into Marietta... Nothing firm about that lately, as far as I know.

Good luck in your search!

E

Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 AM

225 posts, read 277,752 times
I don't live in DuPont Commons, but I live in the surrounding neighborhood. Here are some things I can tell you:

1.) Bolton Academy is a decent school. It has a low greatschools.org rating, but that is based purely on standardized test scores. About a third of the students there are Hispanic, and English is a second language. Therefore, standardized tests scores are not as high for that particular population. However, there is great parent involvement, and the kids can do very well there.

2.) The neighborhood amenities are currently lacking. As the previous poster noted, the closest Publix is at Collier Rd and Howell Mill. There is a Kroger a few miles down Marietta Blvd, though, in Cobb Co., and there is a CVS in the neighborhood. However, there has been talk about a brand new Publix being built at the Moores Mill Shopping Center site (Marietta Blvd at Bolton). Latest indications are that this project is moving again, after being stalled for years.

3.) A continuation on Point 2, things are really heating up in this neighborhood on the development front. Brock Homes is building another housing development between DuPont Commons and Adams Crossing. A new gas station/Marco's Pizza/Planet Smoothie was just built down the Marietta Road from DuPont Commons. And a large development project was just announced off of Marietta Blvd. near the cemetery (https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...hMOQb9hk.email ). Once the Moores Mill Shopping Center project finally moves, I believe this area will hit a tipping point.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 12,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennfen12 View Post
Hi All!

My wife and I are looking to move from Ormewood Park to something a little larger and we love Dupont Commons. It appears to be a strong community and you really get a lot for your money it seems. With that being said, we do have some concerns. We don't have any children yet, but we aren't 100% sure about Bolton Academy and we didn't know if anyone had any feedback on this. We'd also love some more information about the area. Do you all feel that things will be changing around the area and if more shops, restaurants, etc. were in the works for nearby?

It also doesn't seem like the appreciation for the neighborhood is that big, but that is also understandable since it looks like many bought at the height of the market and it is maybe levelling out now...I could be wrong though

Thank you in advance!
Have you found out any more information from other posters? We are having the same discussion in our house about that area of the Westside...

Old 02-15-2015, 07:23 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Please, oh please stop calling this area 'west midtown'. It is nowhere near midtown

Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Please, oh please stop calling this area 'west midtown'. It is nowhere near midtown

It's a separate neighborhood from Midtown. Doesn't have to be near it.

But you're right in part...DuPont Commons is not in West Midtown.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It's a separate neighborhood from Midtown. Doesn't have to be near it.
But you're right in part...DuPont Commons is not in West Midtown.
Are you a realtor or builder?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 AM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Are you a realtor or builder?
Both.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Both.
Then that explains why you're clinging to the 'west midtown' misnomer. Just another example of the 'creative' marketing we've come to know and l̶o̶v̶e̶.

I doubt that anyone who has ever lived in both of those areas (as I have) would describe the howell mill/chattahoochee industrial areas as any kind of 'midtown'. It doesn't meet the definition.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I don't recall hearing the name West Midtown until the last several years.

I just assumed it was a move to sort of capitalize on the growing panache of the midtown area. That's fine as far as I'm concerned although I've never thought of it as "official." In my mind places like Huff road were part of the Chattahoochee Industrial area. Isn't Dupont commons right in the thick of all that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta