Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Has MARTA ever had Limited or Express service on their local lines? For example, 39X or 39L?
Route 221 is a limited stop route. Use to be a half-ass attempt at BRT by MARTA and GDOT, but it didn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM

209 posts, read 276,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Route 221 is a limited stop route. Use to be a half-ass attempt at BRT by MARTA and GDOT, but it didn't work out.
Calling it half-assed is generous. Quarter-assed is closer, but I'm not even sure that cuts it.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
I'm really curious to this day what the ridership figures were.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm really curious to this day what the ridership figures were.
I'd like to know, too, but I have not been able to find ridership figures for MARTA's various bus lines.

I have heard that 39 Buford Highway (Lindbergh to Doraville) is the most heavily used route, but I don't know the actual numbers.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:49 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Has MARTA ever had Limited or Express service on their local lines? For example, 39X or 39L?
They have, or at least had what is effectively express service before. One of the key examples I remember is the "Blue Flyer" service such as a Five Points to Lithonia express. Information on those routes is hard to find, but there are remnants even on MARTA's own site. MARTA > Schedules & Maps MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
Calling it half-assed is generous. Quarter-assed is closer, but I'm not even sure that cuts it.
Calling it BRT was certainly a stretch, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "half-assed." I think the issue was primarily one of confusion. There was both Q-520 and Q-521 and one was express, the other was "limited." But they also served different routes. I think MARTA has done well with 221 creating a compromise of both, and enhancing the strengths of both. They have a limited-stop route, that runs along a major corridor, along one route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd like to know, too, but I have not been able to find ridership figures for MARTA's various bus lines.

I have heard that 39 Buford Highway (Lindbergh to Doraville) is the most heavily used route, but I don't know the actual numbers.
It seems like MARTA guards their ridership figures like state secrets only trotting the numbers out when they need to impress the politicians and locals. I'm planning an Open Records Request of MARTA shortly, I'll add bus ridership to my request.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
They have, or at least had what is effectively express service before. One of the key examples I remember is the "Blue Flyer" service such as a Five Points to Lithonia express. Information on those routes is hard to find, but there are remnants even on MARTA's own site. MARTA > Schedules & Maps MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Calling it BRT was certainly a stretch, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "half-assed." I think the issue was primarily one of confusion. There was both Q-520 and Q-521 and one was express, the other was "limited." But they also served different routes. I think MARTA has done well with 221 creating a compromise of both, and enhancing the strengths of both. They have a limited-stop route, that runs along a major corridor, along one route.

It seems like MARTA guards their ridership figures like state secrets only trotting the numbers out when they need to impress the politicians and locals. I'm planning an Open Records Request of MARTA shortly, I'll add bus ridership to my request.
Why did blue flyer routes get eliminated?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Why did blue flyer routes get eliminated?
I can't find anything that says for certain, but I believe the excuses offered were either ridership, or budget cuts. It looks like they were eliminated right around the 2009/2010 timeframe when most of the other routes were cut.

[EDIT] Only somewhat related, but I found a new article on the start of the service, particularly a 116B route from Indian Creek to Stonecrest: http://t.crossroadsnews.com/news/200...-a-hit/?page=2

Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I can't find anything that says for certain, but I believe the excuses offered were either ridership, or budget cuts. It looks like they were eliminated right around the 2009/2010 timeframe when most of the other routes were cut.

[EDIT] Only somewhat related, but I found a new article on the start of the service, particularly a 116B route from Indian Creek to Stonecrest: Rail-to-sale in 25 minutes: Express route a hit with riders
That was some cutting edge transit back then.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Huh?? Those numbers are accessible directly through MARTA's website. Or did you mean ridership numbers per line?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Huh?? Those numbers are accessible directly through MARTA's website. Or did you mean ridership numbers per line?
Ridership per line/station/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta