Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:09 AM

46 posts, read 68,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We have another old saying here.

Delta is ready when you are. It's extremely easy to leave if living in the South doesn't suit you.
Don't be silly! I fly Southwest.

Some people on these boards really need to lighten up. "Bless your hearts folks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,037,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Peachtree City just pulled the trigger on a winter storm watch (this is only the relevant text for the metro area, there's another one with higher amounts in far north Georgia):
Cities don't "pull the trigger" or in any way initiate storm watch or warnings. They ALL come from the national Weather Service.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:43 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,964,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Cities don't "pull the trigger" or in any way initiate storm watch or warnings. They ALL come from the national Weather Service.
Dude, the National Weather Service office for North Georgia is in Peachtree City.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,953,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
Don't be silly! I fly Southwest.
I'm sorry.

Quote:
Some people on these boards really need to lighten up. "Bless your hearts folks."
Yes, some do. Especially new people that delight in mocking the region. Don't expect a warm welcome with your attitude. Hopefully your time here will be brief, and you can return to your supposedly superior region sooner than later.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,982,836 times
Quote:
I'm sorry.

Yes, some do. Especially new people that delight in mocking the region. Don't expect a warm welcome with your attitude. Hopefully your time here will be brief, and you can return to your supposedly superior region sooner than later.
Be nice.

Besides, it's not mocking if it's true. There are some truths to certain stereotypes.

Now, that said, if you tell me to go back where I came from, it wouldn't do you much good..

Old 02-15-2015, 12:41 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times
What do you think is "true"? All I've read were subjective appraisal - there's no truth nor falseness there.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,379,171 times
It didn't do anything here in my part of NC. We got high winds-60 to 70 MPH gusts. Thankfully didn't knock any power lines down so we still have power. It did get pretty cold.

Speaking of stereotypes-the funniest one to me is Floridians and how they can't stand anything below 60 degrees. I remember my neighbor (who lived in Florida most of her life but was orig. from New York state) telling me that when the temps went below 60 degrees, people started dragging out their heavy coats and scarves like you would see in Wisconsin in January. They can't take it at all. It has snowed in Miami a few times but they aren't gonna waste resources on something that happens every 50 years or so. Atlanta, by contrast, does indeed have to worry about ice storms. Ice was the cause of the last event, not snow.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:51 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,132,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Maybe I should have been more specific.

The National Weather Service has 122 weather forecast offices (or WFOs), each based in a city and given an area of forecast responsibility, called a county warning (forecast) area - a CW(F)A, in short. For north and central Georgia (down to roughly a Quitman-Cordele-Vidalia line,) the WFO for the region is located in Peachtree City, down at Falcon Field. With the exception of severe thunderstorm and tornado watches - issued by the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma - all forecast products, watches, and warnings are issued by the local weather forecast office; for north and most of central Georgia, it is the one in Peachtree City.

So no, the "national" National Weather Service does not issue most products. In fact, even severe thunderstorm and tornado watches are modified by WFOs after issuance, not the Storm Prediction Center.

Hence, when I use the term "pull the trigger", a forecaster opens a piece of software at the WFO (called "WarnGen") and generates the text and locations of the forecast product; in this case, it is the winter storm watch.

- skbl17

Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,357 times
Quote:
I'm sorry.

Who pi**ed in your cornflakes this morning? Enjoy those bag fees

Old 02-15-2015, 12:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,953,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Be nice.

Besides, it's not mocking if it's true. There are some truths to certain stereotypes.

Now, that said, if you tell me to go back where I came from, it wouldn't do you much good..
I'm the nicest guy you could ever meet, I'm just sick of the smart-@ss attitudes of newcomers that are 'forced' to live here against their will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta