Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

the I-20 east line would probably see the greatest rider increase, followed by 400 and the clifton corridor. the I-20 line is also closer to being finalized. i would say the I-20 corridor is probably the next step they will take.

personally, i think the clifton corridor plan as presented sucks. it includes large stretches of shared right-of-way on extremely busy streets. if you think the streetcar is slow, you haven't seen anything yet. it will be impossible to keep any sort of reasonable schedule in the current plan, and would be useless for employees in the area who need to get to work on time that don't currently use the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:05 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
personally, i think the clifton corridor plan as presented sucks. it includes large stretches of shared right-of-way on extremely busy streets. if you think the streetcar is slow, you haven't seen anything yet. it will be impossible to keep any sort of reasonable schedule in the current plan, and would be useless for employees in the area who need to get to work on time that don't currently use the bus.
I am adamantly against any sort of shared right-of-way. If that is in the Clifton Corridor plan, just scrap it. Not worth it. I favor HRT, but I would take LRT with its own right-of-way over anything shared. Pretty sure the area is too short to gain much good speed for HRT anyway, so LRT may just be the most feasible.

Anyway, back to topic. In order of most importance (though they're all very important and should've been done 15 years ago)
1. 400
2. Clifton (with its own ROW)
3. 20

If Cobb and Gwinnett were added, they'd be 2 & 3 bumping Clifton and 20 down. The demand justifies it.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:50 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
The Clifton RoW is only "shared" in the sense that the rails will be in the same concrete of the road. The plan has always been to have dedicated lanes.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:01 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't like the very expensive light rail in the Clifton corridor, but I think connecting Emory and CDC is the most important. I strongly prefer HRT there.

400 is close behind.

I don't think I-20 East is important. Its close to the existing line and that area could be serviced well much cheaper. (now if you are talking about the Stonecrest line-extending the blue line outside 285, that one is important, but not nearly as much as the first two).
The same can be said about the GA 400 corridor, so that isn't good enough.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
I-20 East because that has been on the drawing board the longest, multiple environmental assessments have been done already, and has of the most work is already done. Then GA 400 corridor and the Clifton corridor.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:16 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Cost / Benefit

The way all expansions should be prioritized. Basically which line is going to bring the most new users into the system as a whole per dollar invested in the long-run.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 AM

96 posts, read 95,273 times
Clifton by far. Makes a ton of sense to provide better transit connections to the largest job center in the region (Emory/CDC/VA) that doesn't already have rail transit. Also there really aren't other options in that area, because there's no room to expand the roads.
The projects on 400 and 20 would just be commuter lines. Useful, but not nearly as impactful as the clifton corridor line which would connect residential and commercial communities that are already somewhat dense.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
400, I-20 E, Clifton

For Clifton, I've always been an advocate of scrapping the idea of going all the way to downtown Decatur. Just use dedicated ROW for a short HRT spur to Emory/CDC. That's it.

If you're going to use LRT, then at least go to downtown Decatur, and not to Avondale station. The route as shown today is a tortured alginment.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

If you're going to use LRT, then at least go to downtown Decatur, and not to Avondale station. The route as shown today is a tortured alginment.
I believe that was one of the original alignments, but the homeowners along Clairemont Avenue killed it.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I assume that he is thinking if we're gon' spend a lot of money for light rail, we might as well go ahead and make it heavy rail...the extra cost would be worth it.
They've decided to build several miles of tunnels for the light rail, so it is going to be a very expensive light rail line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta