Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:17 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Clearly the major precepts of the Bible have transcended the Bronze Age and every other Age. From a purely non-religious perspective, there are numerous examples of God's divinity in the Bible given that there are things written prior to the Bronze Age that we are only now able prove scientifically.
There's actually zero examples of that, while there are plenty of examples of scientific inaccuracies in the Bible that we can now disprove, such as the world being flat, rabbits chewing their cud, stars "falling" from the sky, etc.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
There's actually zero examples of that, while there are plenty of examples of scientific inaccuracies in the Bible that we can now disprove, such as the world being flat, rabbits chewing their cud, stars "falling" from the sky, etc.
I'm curious what they were referring to. I can't think of anything that could fit the bill.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Although he did speak in a way that would have some believe that, I'm not certain that would be the case. He did insist that every old law was to be followed til the end of time. He preached peace, but his view on the old laws makes me doubt that he was all about peace.
Some Christians switch back and forth between this contention and the one that Jesus fulfilled and therefore obviated the old law, willy nilly, depending on how the various contentions support the specific claim they're trying to support at the moment.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Happy Easter, all!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
After reading all of the freedom this bill will brought to Indiana as a very liberal democrat count me in on it...

Polygamy...check..

Riba law on interest rates....check..

Ganja smoking or other drugs in your religion....check...

The Indiana law has opened so many cans of worms it may be years before the courts hear all of the appeals.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:58 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
In short, if you are a Jewish person living in the 1400's BC, this applies to you.
Wait....doesn't this pretty much cover all of the Old Testament? or are you picking and choosing the bits that meet your world view, but tossing out the bits that don't? That seems kind of disrespectful to God.

For what it's worth, I like Jesus. And I will bet my soul that Jesus wouldn't be into discrimination. Not against blacks, not against gays, not against lepers, not against the poor. He would totally kick hypocrites that like to act holier than everyone else, while acting uglier than everyone else out of the temple though.

That's why I like Jesus. He'd see right through this Pharisee nonsense. And that's really what these types of laws are....a hypocritical need to exert yourself and your beliefs on others.

Cake-bakers, Pizza-makers, Landlords, etc have the freedom to turn away anyone's business they want to, for almost any reason. that is...UNTIL they decide they need to let the customer know that the reason they are being turned away is because they are black or gay or irish or blind or whatever else.

And really - gays aren't even a protected class at that level (yet). Why do we need these laws again? So business owners won't get their feelings hurt when they receive a backlash, for providing truly bad customer service? Is that about right?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

The flat earth myth is interesting given that Isaiah refers to the earth as a circle and was written 300 years before science ever got around to the realization. No where does the Bible refer to the earth as being flat.

While rabbits do not regurgitate food as some other animals do, they do eat partially digested plant matter (cud) through a process known as caecotrophy (perhaps reason enough to not eat them).

Stars falling from the sky?

There are in fact many examples. The Bible describes the earth's jet stream Ecclesiastes 1:6, that the earth is suspended in space Job 26:7, that there are valleys, mountains, and springs (Job 38:16) at the bottom of the ocean, that air has weight Job 28:25, Genesis 17:12 instructs to circumcise boys on the eighth day which is now known to be when blood clotting agent Prothrombin spikes in newborns, Job 38:31 accurately describes the Pleiades (gravitationally bound) and Orion (disintegrating). How did these sheepherders get all of this right, in some cases thousands of years before science figured it out?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Wait....doesn't this pretty much cover all of the Old Testament? or are you picking and choosing the bits that meet your world view, but tossing out the bits that don't? That seems kind of disrespectful to God.

For what it's worth, I like Jesus. And I will bet my soul that Jesus wouldn't be into discrimination. Not against blacks, not against gays, not against lepers, not against the poor. He would totally kick hypocrites that like to act holier than everyone else, while acting uglier than everyone else out of the temple though.

That's why I like Jesus. He'd see right through this Pharisee nonsense. And that's really what these types of laws are....a hypocritical need to exert yourself and your beliefs on others.

Cake-bakers, Pizza-makers, Landlords, etc have the freedom to turn away anyone's business they want to, for almost any reason. that is...UNTIL they decide they need to let the customer know that the reason they are being turned away is because they are black or gay or irish or blind or whatever else.

And really - gays aren't even a protected class at that level (yet). Why do we need these laws again? So business owners won't get their feelings hurt when they receive a backlash, for providing truly bad customer service? Is that about right?
Not exactly sure what you are asking but I have explained this point in this post .

Once again, what I support is a bill that protects business owners from being threatened with fines and jail for not participating in a gay marriages as is beginning to happen in other states.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Once again, what I support is a bill that protects business owners from being threatened with fines and jail for not participating in a gay marriages as is beginning to happen in other states.
They are not "participating" in marriages gay or otherwise.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:23 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Not exactly sure what you are asking but I have explained this point in this post .

Oh you poor thing, bein' purse-cewted for not being able to run a business with a Straights Only sign on it.

It's the year 2015. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta