Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 PM
bu2

24,155 posts, read 15,010,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What do some of you find to be the shortcomings of the reward program? Just interested in your opinions.
Its been re-oriented for the extremely heavy business traveler. But on the other hand, with reduced flights, there are a lot fewer flights available for free flights and first class upgrades for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 08:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,439,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What do some of you find to be the shortcomings of the reward program? Just interested in your opinions.
The bag charge really fires me up. It causes such a cluster at boarding. If you are not on the plane fast, your carry on is checked.

A decade ago most domestic flights could be had for 25k miles if booked in advance. Now you're lucky if it is 40k vs 50k.

They have some of the highest fees in the business and they get you at every corner. See below.

They have some of the highest fares.

They price gouge on direct routes they monopolize.

Really, the next flight has 20 open seats you won't let me switch for free?

If I earn in the same manner via flying or credit card spending and it takes literally 40% less reward miles/pts to get to where I want to go on the competitor, why continue?

I will say this though. I have retained a Starwood AMEX at book my Delta flights through their website direction. Starwood's site is 2 for 2 in costing less miles/points than booking directly on Delta's website.

They are clearly a business traveler airline. Who cares what the fees are, the company is picking up tab. I'm not in their demographic anymore as all of my travel these days is for pleasure. They've all but abandoned the vacation traveler.

Quote:
Delta

Ticketing Fees

Non-refundable ticket change fee: $200 (up to $450 on some international fares)
Same day change fee: $50
Reservation by phone or ticket office fee: $25-$35
Unaccompanied minor fee: $100

Baggage Fees

Carry on bag: Free
First checked bag fee: $25 ($0 to international destinations except Canada and Caribbean)
Second checked bag fee:$35 ($40-$100 for some international destinations)
Additional bags fee: $125 for third bag; $200 each for bags 4-10
Overweight bags: $90 for 51-70lbs; $175 for 71-100lbs
Oversize bags: $175-$300 (These fees may be higher or lower for some international destinations and are waived for some elite level frequent flyers, active military, American Express SkyMiles Cardmembers, etc).
In-cabin pet fee: $125

Frequent Flier Fees

"Last minute" ticketing: $0
In phone/in person ticketing: $25
Date/itinerary change: $150 (warning! no changes/cancelations are permitted within 72 hours of departure; all miles forfeited)
Redeposit Miles: $150 (no changes/cancelations are permitted within 72 hours of departure)
Same day change fee: $50
Seat Selection Fee: $9-$59 for "preferred seats" per segment.

Other Fees
Priority Boarding Fee: $10 per flight.
Name Change Fee: Not offered.
Other Fees: $9-$180 per segment for "Economy Comfort" sea

Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,913,016 times
Unfortunately all those fees are pretty standard now: Airline Fees, U.S. Carriers, updated - Blog - Airfarewatchdog

And those airlines that have resisted baggage fees like SouthWest have seen their fares rise where they are not a "budget" airline anymore and often costlier than Delta, American, and other carriers. The "new" budget carriers like Spirit Airlines change higher fees, give you no snack, and have ads all over the aircraft. So, pick your poison.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:23 PM

14,200 posts, read 22,839,778 times
Hay guise, I haz a idea! No one likes teh gays, so let's raise taxes on teh jet fuel! That'll teach Delta a lesson!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,439,017 times
And the best U.S. airline rewards program is .... - CNN.com

Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Glad the top two carriers in Atlanta have the two best rewards programs.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 AM

11,173 posts, read 8,032,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Agreed. Delta could move in a heartbeat.

Actually they can't. It would cost them a fortune. They'd lose gate space and have to revamp their schedule and their routes. The tax would be mild compared to what it would cost them to move a hub. Plus it would have a ripple effect schedule wise, gate wise, departure wise and arrival wise with the other airports that they service. To "try" to move that many flights would be a logistical nightmare and cost prohibitive.
There are only so many gates, and so many time slots open and let's not forget to take "other airlines" departure and arrival times into consideration and their already " established " flights and routes.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 AM

32,040 posts, read 36,935,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Actually they can't. It would cost them a fortune. They'd lose gate space and have to revamp their schedule and their routes. The tax would be mild compared to what it would cost them to move a hub. Plus it would have a ripple effect schedule wise, gate wise, departure wise and arrival wise with the other airports that they service. To "try" to move that many flights would be a logistical nightmare and cost prohibitive.
There are only so many gates, and so many time slots open and let's not forget to take "other airlines" departure and arrival times into consideration and their already " established " flights and routes.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
Okay. I didn't realize they had to move their gates in order to move their corporate headquarters.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
Delta just did it in Memphis over the last couple years. They could de-hub Atlanta in the same time period if needed. But regardless as arjay points out, they can move their HQ and leave the hub.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,032,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Delta just did it in Memphis over the last couple years. They could de-hub Atlanta in the same time period if needed. But regardless as arjay points out, they can move their HQ and leave the hub.

Ok... I'll play. Say they do move their headquarters... What would it accomplish? They'd still be paying the fuel tax and it would still cause more trouble than it's worth to move their headquarters. Atlanta is their largest hub. They could do it, but it wouldn't make sense to do it out of spite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta