Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm referring to potential sites. North Clayton has some office parks just south of the airport. And then they could go into College Park or Hapeville.

I do agree on North Clayton, I think the Porsche plant in Hapeville is the only Class A over there- there might be some BTS sites, but everything else as far as I recall is Class B. And College Park does have that development they were planning on putting a bunch of Class A into over by Hotel Indigo.

But North Clayton is not on MARTA yet, Porsche, obviously inst on MARTA, CP's will be. I think eventually each MARTA stop - much like around DC, will wind up being a TOD node with density and office space and residential all comingled but I agree that may be a ways off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:53 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,496 times
Almost every area has the potential to be better than it is. When I moved to Atlanta in 2001, and took a job surveying land for a developer, Grant Park was still "up and coming" and people looked sideways at me when I thought it was good investment. Now, it's referred to as "pristine." One day, while out working, I had to stop at the public library on Peachtree near Woodruffs Art Center. As I drove around looking for side street parking, I realized I was in Ansley Park; I saw a sign in a window on a residential street for a 1 bedroom apartment that was $800 a month; now fast forward to today, and I can't afford to live there.

East Point, The West End, areas south of the city, and many other neighborhoods can shed the stigma of "undesirable" with the right developer, private money, and neighborhood planning and the vibe it produces. Don't worry about the people, the people will eventually come around; it's always a matter of time.

The only question is, and one that should keep all Atlantans awake at night, is what the heck are we gonna do about this influx all these freakin' hipsters....JK JK JK JK!!!! lol.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Almost every area has the potential to be better than it is. When I moved to Atlanta in 2001, and took a job surveying land for a developer, Grant Park was still "up and coming" and people looked sideways at me when I thought it was good investment. Now, it's referred to as "pristine." One day, while out working, I had to stop at the public library on Peachtree near Woodruffs Art Center. As I drove around looking for side street parking, I realized I was in Ansley Park; I saw a sign in a window on a residential street for a 1 bedroom apartment that was $800 a month; now fast forward to today, and I can't afford to live there.

East Point, The West End, areas south of the city, and many other neighborhoods can shed the stigma of "undesirable" with the right developer, private money, and neighborhood planning and the vibe it produces. Don't worry about the people, the people will eventually come around; it's always a matter of time.

The only question is, and one that should keep all Atlantans awake at night, is what the heck are we gonna do about this influx all these freakin' hipsters....JK JK JK JK!!!! lol.
Jeez - you just reminded me I gave my ex-roommate the side-eye when she wanted us to rent a house in Grant Park in like 1998. Haha! Good good point.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Had no idea a portion was OTP (near Camp Creek)... unless that part is only East Point by address and not within city limits?

Otherwise, guess it is sort of a hidden gem, albeit a bit of a rough cut diamond, in places.

Who knows how long other areas will still attract the lion's share of the buzz and $, before EP starts to get it's day in the sun?

Could be awhile.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ea...086f81148e7f30

It's East Point city limits. It extends OTP.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
A former co-worker of mine lives in College Park. She ways there is a Walmart, Kroger, LA Fitness, Ross & Walgreens two blocks from her home at the intersection of Flat Shoals and Old National Highway.

She says she really likes the area and has never had any crime related problems.
I know that area has a College Park address, but when I think of College Park it's the historic downtown area and the beautiful residential neighborhood around Woodward Academy. I hope that area is truly discovered and takes off in the near future.

I think one the main problems with East Point is the city government. Over the past few years there have been several scandals and a lot of bickering between the mayor and city council members. East Point was really poised to take off when I first bought my house there 20 years ago, but after a few prosperous years and an influx of new residents it sputtered and hasn't recovered as of yet. The location is awesome - 5 to 10 minutes from downtown/Midtown by car or a short ride on MARTA. Hopefully more people will discover East Point again and it will begin to rise.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's totally based on bias. Yes, there is a lot of poverty in the East Point and the rest of the Tri-Cities area, but there are plenty of working and middle class people in the area too that basically have no intown shopping options aside from the small businesses and the occasional strip mall.

Part of me, especially when it comes to grocery store selections, hates this because people who live in the area must leave to do any sort of major shopping. On the other hand, outside of the Camp Creek area, East Point hasn't been flooded with national chain stores by and large.
When I lived in East Point I usually shopped at Kroger by Greenbriar...it was about 5 minutes from my house near downtown East Point with more middle-class shoppers and much nicer than the horrible Kroger over on Cleveland Avenue - where someone was constantly trying to sell me a food card and there was trash all over the parking lot.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I know that area has a College Park address, but when I think of College Park it's the historic downtown area and the beautiful residential neighborhood around Woodward Academy. I hope that area is truly discovered and takes off in the near future.

I think one the main problems with East Point is the city government. Over the past few years there have been several scandals and a lot of bickering between the mayor and city council members. East Point was really poised to take off when I first bought my house there 20 years ago, but after a few prosperous years and an influx of new residents it sputtered and hasn't recovered as of yet. The location is awesome - 5 to 10 minutes from downtown/Midtown by car or a short ride on MARTA. Hopefully more people will discover East Point again and it will begin to rise.
Thankfully - we have weeded out most of that nonsense, and this upcoming election, god-willing, will take care of the last of it. Since 2014, we have definitely been running smoother, and with the new City Manager, things have calmed down a lot. We will see what this budget cycle brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
When I lived in East Point I usually shopped at Kroger by Greenbriar...it was about 5 minutes from my house near downtown East Point with more middle-class shoppers and much nicer than the horrible Kroger over on Cleveland Avenue - where someone was constantly trying to sell me a food card and there was trash all over the parking lot.
Kroger on metropolitan, is on the Atlanta side, but they did a revamp a couple of years back and started to clean their act up. I don't know how things are now that the Walmart is down the road on the East Point side and across the street. I know I don't really have to go to the Kroger anymore. I got sick and tired of their expired dairy.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Thankfully - we have weeded out most of that nonsense, and this upcoming election, god-willing, will take care of the last of it. Since 2014, we have definitely been running smoother, and with the new City Manager, things have calmed down a lot. We will see what this budget cycle brings.

Kroger on metropolitan, is on the Atlanta side, but they did a revamp a couple of years back and started to clean their act up. I don't know how things are now that the Walmart is down the road on the East Point side and across the street. I know I don't really have to go to the Kroger anymore. I got sick and tired of their expired dairy.
The Kroger by Greenbriar is pretty decent.

I used to live on Montrose Drive in Conley Hills. I loved that street...it reminded me of Virginia-Highland.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:03 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
There is NOTHING wrong with East Point and I think the community really is on the uptick: Jefferson Park, Headland Heights, and who can leave out that gorgeous neighborhood out Ben Hill Road near the Point University East Point Campus! (Old Atlanta Christian College)

Old 04-23-2015, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
Atlanta Metro is going to go bust in the next 10-15 years. What once was affordable pricing and decent neighborhoods have turned into discount Manhattan Island neighborhoods with NYC type prices stretching across former middle class neighborhoods. Anyone willing to "create" a new hipster type Atlanta metro with a homeless population damn near rivaling tenants renting will be sadly disappointed when urban sprawl runs its course and can't go any further.

Anybody willing to spend NYC prices in Decatur, Atlanta, East Point, College Park, Buckhead, Tucker, Lawrenceville, Brookhaven, Chamblee, or Dunwoody deserves the crash they are contributing to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta