Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:03 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“To me it seems like we are saying people are doing something wrong by running,” said Councilwoman Keisha Lance Bottoms at the public safety committee meeting Tuesday. “One of the things I will always teach my children is that they have the right to run. It may be ill advised but the issue is not with them exercising their rights but the response to them exercising their rights.”
I really don't have to say any more. But I will...

This person is promoting a culture and idea that is toxic. An idea that gets people hurt, killed, or given a criminal record. What's next Ms. Bottoms? Are you going to come out with an anti-snitching platform?

The mayor needs to come out and scold her for this and re-engage the campaign to stop running from the cops. Too many (not most!) of South Atlanta's residents are stuck in a backwards, archaic culture and she just seems to want to perpetuate it. Defense of the criminal culture from the Ms. Bottoms is completely indefensible.

Atlanta review board to suspend its
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

This person is promoting a culture and idea that is toxic. An idea that gets people hurt, killed, or given a criminal record. What's next Ms. Bottoms? Are you going to come out with an anti-snitching platform?

The mayor needs to come out and scold her for this and re-engage the campaign to stop running from the cops. Too many (not most!) of South Atlanta's residents are stuck in a backwards, archaic culture and she just seems to want to perpetuate it. Defense of the criminal culture from the Ms. Bottoms is completely indefensible.

She flunked the Yes Sir, No Sir test.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,960 times
How has running been working out for folks?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:42 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Well, theoretically she is right. The police should not be shooting someone who is running from them. You cannot shoot someone running from your home who has just robbed you. The police cannot do this either so she is right that the response is the problem. What ever happened to chasing a suspect. Gotta get healthy and be able to do that. However, until police stop gunning ppl down that are running away from them it seems wise to just teach the kids to stand still with hands in air, I guess. Although folk are being gunned down and/or killed in that stance also.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

The constituents of that district elected her, Until someone better from that district wants to run.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Well, theoretically she is right. The police should not be shooting someone who is running from them. You cannot shoot someone running from your home who has just robbed you. The police cannot do this either so she is right that the response is the problem. What ever happened to chasing a suspect. Gotta get healthy and be able to do that. However, until police stop gunning ppl down that are running away from them it seems wise to just teach the kids to stand still with hands in air, I guess. Although folk are being gunned down and/or killed in that stance also.
I agree with this.

Though running is suspicious, it is no cause for police to shoot to kill. If someone is running away from you, they are not an imminent threat.

This whole running thing acutally reminds me of my dad who was somewhat of a petty criminal when he was on drugs years ago. I remember numerous times of him running from the police. He even advised the kids on the block about running away from police tactics lol. He was never shot in the back and is still alive today and law abiding and nearly 30 years drug and alcohol free. Once an old family friend of his who was a police officer had to chase him. When the friend asked why he ran when he wasn't even going to be in much trouble, dad laughed and said that in those days he always felt if he was going to be arrested the officer should have to "work" for it lol. My dad was and still is a character. He and the officer are still friends. In my hometown though there have been few officer involved shootings and the ones that have occurred happened with suspects who were armed with guns.

Many officers today are out of shape IMO. The one who shot Scott Walker really just looked like he didn't want to chase him so he shot him. Just lazy.

But I do understand the commission's view point in that the signs are good advice. My dad said he did get beat up by cops who had to chase him (he was a basketball star as a youth and was in good shape and REALLY fast, I remember seeing him dart past me in a blur the night he ran from his friend). It is best to not run. You face less chances of the officer being mad at you and taking out their anger on you with a beating.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:55 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
In my opinion the "don't run" campaign had merit. Yes, you have the constitutional right to run from the police and that should be respected. However, the practicality is that running is often seen -- rightly or wrongly -- as an admission that you've done something bad and are trying to escape. If a cop pulls me over I'm not going to get out of the car and take off running.

Maybe the best solution would be to couple the "don't run" campaign with a program to help the police understand the issue.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 AM

The billboard campaign was educational. Running from the cops comes a mindset that has been getting generation after generation incarcerated. Advanced minds do not run from the cops. Not running from the cops = progress. Anything that promotes the idea should be strongly discouraged.

You can do a lot of stupid things, legally. But to have a councilperson defend and promote those foolish actions... pathetic.

As an aside, why is running from the cops legal? I love freedom, but I don't understand that one at this point.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Pretty sure they are still chasing down 99.99999999999999999999% of suspects in lieu of shooting them.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:17 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Why don't teach cops not shoot fleeing suspects or higher more with a bit of discipline and intellect? That is way more of concern to me than folks running from cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta