Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 63,879 times

Advertisements

deacongirl: thanks so much. What Montessori was your daughter at? Was it in Atlanta? Were you happy there? My son has been at a private Montessori, and I love so much about it, but we were going to be moving him to a gifted public school here, as I said. In theory I think a great Montessori should be able to challenge any child, and they did work hard to make it work for him, but at the end of the day it just was not rigorous enough. He is very intense and driven when it comes to academics. His brain is in overdrive all the time. He's like a little mad scientist - drawing elaborate inventions on every scrap of paper and theorizing ways to cure various diseases or whatever. He never stops. I need to find someplace where they can just let him go and go at a very fast pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM

550 posts, read 990,231 times
Another state, sorry! Sadly, I think that it is going to be tough in elementary school most likely (again, it is possible that with the right teacher, it could work). For private Paedaia would have been my first choice, but weighing all of the factors and limited budget we chose public and are very happy with that choice. I honestly don't think most schools would be a great fit for a child like that, so I think you have to find the least-bad until they get to middle school and have more options. I know the principal at Timber Ridge has a gifted endorsement and he was great to work with for my daughter's acceleration process. And even if a skip wouldn't be enough academically it is worth considering IMO because it would put him closer to middle school. I know there are kids in East Cobb who are subject accelerated in math and that might be worth exploring. (they may discourage you but there are ways to do it). And then enrichment outside of school. Afterschool chess, etc. Good luck!

And, also, buy a house where you would feel comfortable with the public schools. Check out the Davidson forums if you have not already. I have seen many times where a seemingly great private did not work well for the HG/PG kid with ADHD and parents have to move again for public.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 17,363 times
Just fyi, Fulton Science Academy lost its charter and is, I believe, closing. I didn't see anyone mention this, but I apologize if it is repetitive.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:57 AM

I know they lost their charter, but they have gone private and seem to be doing well. They are opening a brand new campus this fall. We are touring next week, so we shall see. It looks like a strong school and seems to have a lot for gifted kids. Also, my son is science obsessed, so it could be a good fit. I will want to be learning more about why they lost their charter.

On another note, High Meadows only has a spot for my middle child. But if he enrolled we would get top priority for next year. I'm thinking I may take a tour. The public elementary schools there look great too. I could always put my oldest in one and then put him in High Meadows after that, unless we were super happy where he was.

Deacongirl: I think we do need to buy in a great school district, regardless of where he will be, because I want that option, as you say. His ADHD really does my affect him in school right now. He is actually super good and high achieving in school. At home is where we sometimes see tough behavior, but honestly a lot of it is due to at times crippling perfectionism. However, you never know when the ADHD could tear up and be more of a problem. He's not even medicated. We just do Omega 3s, meditation, yoga, and behavioral modification.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Anyone or anything about the Museum School in Decatur? Looks very interesting.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,789,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa727 View Post
Anyone or anything about the Museum School in Decatur? Looks very interesting.
It's a charter for the Avondale Estates area. You get in by lottery. I don't think the odds for getting in are that great, and the other public school option for the area is not good.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 PM

jeoff: thanks - wasn't sure whether it was by lottery or assigned

The schools in both Johns Creek and Roswell/Alpharetta area look so good. I may go in that direction. I'm still disappointed that High Meadows is out for my oldest as of now. He is an outdoor lover to the extreme - I think he would have potentially loved it.

Anyone have any input on great Montessori schools, while we are at it? . My youngest will most likely be at a Montessori and possibly my middle child too. Had we stayed here that is where they would have gone. I heard Arbor was great (by the director at their current school) but it could get tricky to live close to there and also be in a great public school area, potentially for my oldest.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:27 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
Rosa, don't be afraid of the public schools in the areas you are considering. I already told you we weren't here for the elementary years, but my two sons excelled in the North Fulton public middle/high schools. My youngest is heading off to Stanford for his PhD this July. We found the CST in our town (Milton) to be wonderful, as our middle son has a learning disability.

If your son is ADHD, why doesn't he have an IEP?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:27 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,668,370 times
Rosa

Is East Cobb a possibility? Their schools are as strong as N. Fulton. (but not sure where the commute is)

If you child needs rigor, you need to make sure that any private school you look at has flexibility in how they do things. Many don't, not because they don't care and want to be accommodating, but because they have smaller student bodies and limited resources. Public schools can be more flexible and as I mentioned Fulton has historically had continuous curriculum and East Cobb has lots and lots of really bright kids (as does N. Fulton)

Old 06-01-2015, 05:42 PM

Mattie: I'm not sure. Maybe it sounds crazy, but I had t really thought much about it. He was diagnosed about a year ago, and the psychologist was very thorough. They had gone to his school to watch him (anonymously) and felt that his school was a really good fit for him, at least as far as ADHD was concerned. They made some recommendations for accommodations, and the school was happy to consider them, but honestly he has always done so well in school - both academically and behaviorally - that not a lot of changes even needed to be made. The psychologist never mentioned it, and my mom (who is a director for special Ed for a Massachusetts school system) never mentioned it. Guess I need to think about having it done.

lastminutemom: East Cobb is probably out - my husband needs to commute to Duluth. I'm thinking that would be pretty far.

I am thinking a combo of a really good school and possibly skipping a grade could work well. I can also supplement with enrichment activities. He is ridiculously smart with/interested in science, so stretching him in that area is a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta