Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,903,574 times

Advertisements

SaportaReport | Living in Atlanta’s Hamsterdam – our city’s south downtown

Quote:
I’ve lived downtown for nearly my entire adult life, much to the chagrin of suburban living family and friends.

“Is it safe?” I’m often asked.

The second most common question is, “Wow, people live downtown?”

While I’m certainly deliberate while on foot, I’ve yet to experience egregious harassment, outside of the occasional panhandler or drunkard. And, I suspect if local government provided adequate supportive housing for the many troubled individuals who roam downtown streets, perceptions of safety would improve.

For the record, downtown’s border ends at Peachtree and North Avenue; we residents are particular about these things.

To be sure, the Ambassador Force, funded by Central Atlanta Progress, continue to make a difference in north downtown where tourists convene. As a longtime resident, it’s promising to hear CAP plans to double down on improving security across downtown.

Even so, south of Marietta remains in need of some T-L-C.

Just steps away from the region’s transit hub you’ll find offices for the local, state and federal governments. At night, you’ll also be able to score your drug of choice. It’s not uncommon to hear of a shooting in or around the Underground Atlanta area.

I often joke with friends that my neighborhood is Atlanta’s unofficial Hamsterdam, the experiential legal drug zone in HBO’s The Wire. In the show, the affable Police Major Colvin creates the zone to move and sequester illicit behavior into what he thinks is an uninhabited area of the city.

On a recent Saturday afternoon, as I exited my building, I witnessed a drug deal while the sun was high in the sky and a police precinct was just a block away. The street dealer pulled a Ziploc bag of drugs out of his boxers and passed what appeared to be a couple of heroin capsules to two older African-Americans. The exchange was casual, natural.

The kicker – this took place on a street specifically designated as a Drug Free Zone, thanks to the persistence of a number of Atlanta City Councilmembers and my vigilant neighbors.

More than a year ago, the community successfully forced the closure of a south Broad Street convenience store that not so quietly doubled as a place to buy and sell drugs. Things were going to change – or so we thought. In short order, the suspect behavior continued.

The dozens of individuals loitering in the area appear to have no legitimate business. There is little commerce in this part of downtown. Neighbors regularly call the police to report suspicious behavior. Recently, one neighbor, while out walking his dog, called 911 to report drug activity. While waiting outside for the police, he was assaulted by an individual on the street, sustaining injury to his arm and chest.
I’ve always been deliberate in my comings and goings, particularly at night, but it always hit close to home when the person assaulted lives in your building.

South downtown is also home to Underground Atlanta, a redevelopment project that could cost upwards of $350 million. Construction is at least a year out and as residents, we all hope the timeline for the closure of Hamsterdam kicks into high gear.

Downtown Atlanta is home to the best the city has to offer – convenient transit access, walkability, greenspace, work and play.

But, our growth will continue to be stunted without active, consistent coordination between law enforcement agencies.

It’s time to shut down Hamsterdam.
Agreed. Time to start enforcing the law in South Downtown. We have a big redevelopment underway at Underground that can be the spark the area needs. Let's not waste it by letting crime thrive blocks away from city hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:51 AM

37,915 posts, read 42,130,002 times
Was the race of the patrons a necessary part of the story?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Race was not mentioned anywhere in this story.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,645,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Race was not mentioned anywhere in this story.
I think he is talking about the description of the "two older African-Americans" who copped the heroin

Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,645,064 times
Quote:
SaportaReport | Living in Atlanta’s Hamsterdam – our city’s south downtown

Agreed. Time to start enforcing the law in South Downtown. We have a big redevelopment underway at Underground that can be the spark the area needs. Let's not waste it by letting crime thrive blocks away from city hall.

I've seen many times over, once they star the Underground redevelopment and the money comes, the crime will be pushed away.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 AM
bu2

24,131 posts, read 14,969,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Was it necessary to not mention it?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 AM
bu2

24,131 posts, read 14,969,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I've seen many times over, once they star the Underground redevelopment and the money comes, the crime will be pushed away.
You do realize they have said that many times before about Underground.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,931,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You do realize they have said that many times before about Underground.
This developer cares about their investment because it is not being subsidized by the city and will pressure the city council to step up enforcement. Now WRS can hire their own security and enforce it's owe rules because it is private property, just like Atlantic Station.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This developer cares about their investment because it is not being subsidized by the city and will pressure the city council to step up enforcement. Now WRS can hire their own security and enforce it's owe rules because it is private property, just like Atlantic Station.
Yeah, city government should not be running a shopping mall.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,140,210 times
Quote:
Yeah, city government should not be running a shopping mall.
But where will Council members get their kickbacks from now?

/s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta