Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 03:09 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Local legislation is not subject to Crossover Day rules. Hence, the MARTA proposal lives on as two separate pieces of legislation (Atlanta and DeKalb).

- skbl17
Ahhh. Interesting.

Well maybe the South DeKalb rail expansion might happen after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:39 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Why the bill to expand MARTA rail may be only ‘mostly dead’

Quote:
“What I think is going to happen is, hopefully, the rhetoric on both sides, the Democrat side and the Republican side, will start scaling back a bit, because we’re in a jobs war,” Reed said. “And it’s not just Democrats and Republicans in Atlanta. Or Atlanta versus the suburbs. It’s about whether Georgia is going to continue to attract jobs that pay well.”
Quote:
“I think the most mature approach is to wait until sine die,” the mayor said. “Everybody should take a deep breath, because anyone who is sophisticated knows that the Legislature can do what it wants to."

“Everyone recognizes that there is a great need for road and infrastructure improvements all throughout Fulton, certainly in north Fulton,” Reed said. “If we don’t address this in ’16, the next opportunity for a referendum is ’18. Which means you’ve effectively moved the process back five years.”

Perhaps you didn’t recognize what just happened. That was the mayor of Atlanta revealing his hole card. Not as a threat. Just a cold, hard non-negotiable fact.
Quote:
But Tuesday’s vote was also a display of ballot strength that can be applied to other infrastructure issues. Or withheld.
Quote:
“Folks can’t be politically naïve enough to believe that they can just put a countywide referendum up that does roads only. You might as well not even go through the exercise,” Reed said. Again, his tone was important. He wasn’t loud. There was no threat, no boasting. Just cold, hard fact.
Quote:
“The biggest deterrent to primary opposition is a roaring economy,” Reed said. Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is closing in on a 20-year leasing deal with its largest tenant, Delta Air Lines. With that deal comes $6 billion in renovations and a sixth runway.

“The gumbo of the region’s economy is coming along nicely,” Reed said.

Take a $6 billion capital program at the Atlanta airport, add an $8 billion MARTA program that extends more than a decade, stir in $1.3 billion in road improvements over five years – that would be what’s left over should MARTA take the half-penny – and suddenly you have a construction industry on fire and unemployment taking a nose dive, the mayor said.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:57 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
True but at least they want something lol. For that route light rail isnt bad. It will be similar to the light rail system in Charlotte. Its quiet and fast (not as fast as HRT). It will serve its purpose since the rail line is only 8 miles long. Plus it will make our transportation network more diverse to include heavy rail, light rail and the streetcar. I agree with you but for this case I think light rail is ok
They really didn't want anything. But LRT is quieter than HRT.

I just never saw a justification of why MARTA was so bent on building it behind the residential areas on the north side of the railroad tracks instead of the commercial area on the south side.

And the project has changed dramatically since the environmental study process. They have added many more miles of subway. They really need to re-think that decision. With the added subway, they might not find much opposition to HRT.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:26 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Here is hoping this gets done. We need more transit options in the city.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
They really didn't want anything. But LRT is quieter than HRT.

I just never saw a justification of why MARTA was so bent on building it behind the residential areas on the north side of the railroad tracks instead of the commercial area on the south side.

And the project has changed dramatically since the environmental study process. They have added many more miles of subway. They really need to re-think that decision. With the added subway, they might not find much opposition to HRT.
My thing is just give people what they want and try not to **** them off

Old 03-05-2016, 06:51 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
My thing is just give people what they want and try not to **** them off
They don't want either. I talked to a number of people from those neighborhoods at the open house. Nobody wanted it.

And you need leadership to do things that make sense.

If HRT to Alpharetta made no financial sense, you don't build it even if people want it (I'm not saying it doesn't make sense-just using that as an example).

Old 03-07-2016, 07:04 AM
bu2

The delay on the vote may not be all bad. That's if they really do get around to looking at a more regional approach. At least the quotes they have in the AJC article (today, didn't see it yet online), indicate Cobb and Gwinnett legislators supported killing the bill this year because Gwinnett and Cobb would not be a part.

But talking and doing are two separate things.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:22 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,730 times
Quote:
The delay on the vote may not be all bad. That's if they really do get around to looking at a more regional approach. At least the quotes they have in the AJC article (today, didn't see it yet online), indicate Cobb and Gwinnett legislators supported killing the bill this year because Gwinnett and Cobb would not be a part.

But talking and doing are two separate things.
I'm confused though. Last time we voted as a region, which included Cobb and Gwinnett, didn't both of those counties vote the referendum down? So, when they were included, they said "we don't want this", but when they're not included, they say "what about us?". Seems to me they are just holding the whole region back playing these games.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:24 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm confused though. Last time we voted as a region, which included Cobb and Gwinnett, didn't both of those counties vote the referendum down? So, when they were included, they said "we don't want this", but when they're not included, they say "what about us?". Seems to me they are just holding the whole region back playing these games.
T-SPLOST should not be used as a bellwether.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
Quote:
What the hell? MARTA can only serve its member counties, which Gwinnett and Cobb voted against being.

If true, I am utterly perplexed by how stupid that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta