Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:01 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,787,954 times

Advertisements

When is the end of people having car accidents and smoking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 10:39 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I would also not be too surprised if there was a bad case of confirmation bias going on. You notice when things go wrong much more than when they go just as they are supposed to.

Besides, Parker is the General Manager / CEO. There is a separate office for the Chief Operating Officer. The person you seem to be after is Rich Krisak.
Blaming Keith Parker for MARTA train delays is like blaming Russell McMurry (GDOT Commissioner) for traffic backups on a freeway.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,697,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Blaming Keith Parker for MARTA train delays is like blaming Russell McMurry (GDOT Commissioner) for traffic backups on a freeway.
Eh, not quite the same situation. There is certainly something to be said as far as keeping operations going smoothly (which isn't so much Parker as it is Krisak), in that certain things are more preventable than others. For example, train maintenance, track maintenance, signals, computer controllers, etc. As I mentioned earlier, more MARTA cops could help keep injuries around the platforms down, or possibly make them worse. I don't really know until a study is done.

Blaming Parker doesn't help, I agree, and calling for his resignation is just silly, but all of the things that are being held up are legitimate complaints, though it is up to the circumstances of each problem as to if they are evidence of a larger managing problem or not.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,530,835 times
Single tracking is annoying....i know its for maintenance, but how long is the work shift? What are they actually doing? I can understand them doing the work on a sunday evening, sunday night, but most of the weekend events happen on SaturDAY...why single track?

Old 07-25-2015, 05:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Eh, not quite the same situation. There is certainly something to be said as far as keeping operations going smoothly (which isn't so much Parker as it is Krisak), in that certain things are more preventable than others. For example, train maintenance, track maintenance, signals, computer controllers, etc. As I mentioned earlier, more MARTA cops could help keep injuries around the platforms down, or possibly make them worse. I don't really know until a study is done.

Blaming Parker doesn't help, I agree, and calling for his resignation is just silly, but all of the things that are being held up are legitimate complaints, though it is up to the circumstances of each problem as to if they are evidence of a larger managing problem or not.
The complaints are legit and should be dealt with, but calling for the firing of the head honcho because you got inconveinenced is lunacy.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Single tracking is annoying....i know its for maintenance, but how long is the work shift? What are they actually doing? I can understand them doing the work on a sunday evening, sunday night, but most of the weekend events happen on SaturDAY...why single track?
They Start Setup Friday Night and go straight thru till break down time Monday morning. 24x?

Takes several hours to set things up and several hours to break it all down to restart Monday morning on dual Tracks. If they had to stop Saturday/Sunday during the day they would get nothing done after the hours of setup/breakdown.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,697,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The complaints are legit and should be dealt with, but calling for the firing of the head honcho because you got inconveinenced is lunacy.
Absolutely! Glad to see we agree!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
MARTA should really look at adding platform edge doors to their stations, like the ones in use at Hartsfield-Jackson.

- skbl17
Maybe all new stations should have them, but it would cost hundreds of millions to outfit existing stations and upgrade the ATC.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
MARTA should really look at adding platform edge doors to their stations, like the ones in use at Hartsfield-Jackson.

- skbl17
When did they add the doors at Airport station?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
When did they add the doors at Airport station?
I thinking its the PlaneTrain and the SkyTrain, they have doors.

Issue on a heavy subway rail with doors is the heat & air pressure that then needs to be handled. As the train comes into a station it pushes a wave of air in font of it, the brakes get hot as they stop the train. Also moving faster they need to slow down sooner to be able to line up with the doors with in a few inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta