Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,971,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wonder where the dealers and the customers will resettle?
Some of the customers were heroin addicts from wealthy suburbs.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:00 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,803,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Near the new Braves stadium....................

J/K

Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Near the new Braves stadium....................

J/K
Hey, that's my line.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,021,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
This was already in progress. They also had an operation, where they rounded up all the known drug dealers. Federal prosecutors provided them with the evidence they collected against and the unsigned warrants for their arrest, if they continue to sale drugs. This was a federal program, where their conviction was almost a certainty. I wonder what came of this, because the article stated this was effective in other cities.
Fox 5 did a lengthy story on this about a month ago, right before National Night Out, and said it had been very effective. You have to crawl before you can walk and run.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM

9,007 posts, read 14,121,504 times
Quote:
My guess is an adjacent building.

But you never know...I could see them using the motels on Fulton Industrial for this purpose.

Not so sure if this is an Atlanta thing, but I can tell you that the area where I went to high school in Birmingham, a little suburb called Vestavia Hills, is having tremendous problems with heroin. This is a well-off area that would be like a Milton or Johns Creek....so you know they don't want to ADMIT they have a heroin problem, but they can't hide all the overdose deaths that have been happening in recent years.

There are a lot of theories as to why: depression, dependency on pain killers that doesn't stop when doctors quit prescribing them, I've heard all kinds of things. But the fact is, heroin is not looked at as a dirty street drug for junkies anymore and is infiltrating areas you wouldn't expect.

I don't think that means the hub of heroin activity is going to move. I still think people from Milton and Johns Creek will go to the Bluff to get their heroin and not have it in their neighborhoods. But with demand as strong as it is, this trade is definitely not going away.

I assume demand in Atlanta is mirroring demand in Birmingham and other areas. But it doesn't really matter if it isn't because from my understanding, this area is the heroin distribution hub for the entire southeastern United States.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
My guess is an adjacent building.

But you never know...I could see them using the motels on Fulton Industrial for this purpose.

Not so sure if this is an Atlanta thing, but I can tell you that the area where I went to high school in Birmingham, a little suburb called Vestavia Hills, is having tremendous problems with heroin. This is a well-off area that would be like a Milton or Johns Creek....so you know they don't want to ADMIT they have a heroin problem, but they can't hide all the overdose deaths that have been happening in recent years.

There are a lot of theories as to why: depression, dependency on pain killers that doesn't stop when doctors quit prescribing them, I've heard all kinds of things. But the fact is, heroin is not looked at as a dirty street drug for junkies anymore and is infiltrating areas you wouldn't expect.

I don't think that means the hub of heroin activity is going to move. I still think people from Milton and Johns Creek will go to the Bluff to get their heroin and not have it in their neighborhoods. But with demand as strong as it is, this trade is definitely not going away.

I assume demand in Atlanta is mirroring demand in Birmingham and other areas. But it doesn't really matter if it isn't because from my understanding, this area is the heroin distribution hub for the entire southeastern United States.
Heroin is a cheaper alternative to pain killers and it's purity has increased. Upper class areas are struggling with admitting they have a heroin problem because to the older generation it is viewed as a dirty drug for junkies. I would say that a good percentage of The Bluff's customer base is coming from upper class areas.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,876,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Heroin is a cheaper alternative to pain killers and it's purity has increased. Upper class areas are struggling with admitting they have a heroin problem because to the older generation it is viewed as a dirty drug for junkies. I would say that a good percentage of The Bluff's customer base is coming from upper class areas.
I would guarantee this. I saw a lot of high end vehicles over there at many of the areas spoken about in this article where drug dealing occurs. An addict also nodded off while driving once and collided with my husband's car on the street, totaling it. The addict had been down in the area buying drugs and lived in Roswell.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,270,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The addict had been down in the area buying drugs and lived in Roswell.
Ugh. I hate when these criminals take their MARTA bus out of the suburbs and ride a train into the city to commit crimes. Why can't they leave that in their own neighborhood.

Seriously though, I think it's great that the neighborhood has residents like you. That, plus enhanced attention from APD, will make it less attractive to those whose business suffers from too much attention.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:46 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,419,770 times
Dont we already know how this game goes by now? They'll have a "war" on drugs in one spot, the drugs will just pick up in another spot. There is no getting rid of it, period.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,262,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Dont we already know how this game goes by now? They'll have a "war" on drugs in one spot, the drugs will just pick up in another spot. There is no getting rid of it, period.
No reason to make the people of English Ave deal with this crap. Lawlessness isn't doing anyone good any favors. You're right that it will push out somewhere else, but lets be honest, that area is too valuable for it to be the way it is.

Last edited by tikigod311; 08-20-2015 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta