Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Ummm, Can't Totally Agree with that one. Maybe if Chat was Closer but Macon is a lot Closer, only 82 miles and thats DT to DT, that doesnt include Suburbs or Metro Areas. Atlanta and Macon Metro basicly already touch.
Yes, it is about 30 miles further to the heart of Chattanooga from downtown Atlanta than Atlanta to Macon. But that is not the only factor. One cannot forget that Atlanta has grown exponentially further north and Chattanooga is a much larger metro area than Macon with established suburbs extending well into NW Georgia. Cities with a good growth and manufacturing connect the burbs of the two, Dalton, Calhoun and Cartersville. Atlanta metro is seemless growth now between downtown and Cartersville.

Compare that with a drive south on 75. Suburban growth and density is only into Henry County and not anywhere on the scale it is going north thru Cobb and into Bartow. There is nothing in between Henry and Macon to compare to Dalton, Cartersville and Calhoun. Griffin and Jackson are off the interstate a good bit and aren't growing like their northern counterparts. Forsyth is the only town of size in between and while it is growing from some spillover from Macon, it is not experiencing anywhere the type of growth that northern suburbs of Atlanta are seeing.

Now if Warner Robins and Perry were north of Macon instead of south, it would be a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, it is about 30 miles further to the heart of Chattanooga from downtown Atlanta than Atlanta to Macon. But that is not the only factor. One cannot forget that Atlanta has grown exponentially further north and Chattanooga is a much larger metro area than Macon with established suburbs extending well into NW Georgia. Cities with a good growth and manufacturing connect the burbs of the two, Dalton, Calhoun and Cartersville. Atlanta metro is seemless growth now between downtown and Cartersville.

Compare that with a drive south on 75. Suburban growth and density is only into Henry County and not anywhere on the scale it is going north thru Cobb and into Bartow. There is nothing in between Henry and Macon to compare to Dalton, Cartersville and Calhoun. Griffin and Jackson are off the interstate a good bit and aren't growing like their northern counterparts. Forsyth is the only town of size in between and while it is growing from some spillover from Macon, it is not experiencing anywhere the type of growth that northern suburbs of Atlanta are seeing.

Now if Warner Robins and Perry were north of Macon instead of south, it would be a different story.
I kinda have to agree with you a bit. Northside 75 is obviously more developed than southside. Then you have Cartersville right there. Then it's not far to Calhoun then Dalton. A few miles past you're in Ringold and it's exurban/suburban from there on in to Chattanooga. You get south of McDonough and the only thing worth noting is Forsyth which doesn't compare to Dalton or Cartersville or even Calhoun.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:17 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
macon; simply for distance and the urbanization of that corridor. I-185 is a long and dark road; by comparison, you barely get out of the macon suburbs before you're in the southern suburbs of atlanta.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:21 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Yeah, i can kinda see Atlanta and Macon growing together in the Coming decades. I can really see it becoming a part of the Atlanta--Athens-Clarke--Sandy Springs Combined Statistical Area easily within in the next 10 Years if nothin else making it the Atlanta--Macon/Warner Robins--Athens-Clarke--Sandy Springs Combined Stitistical Area.. If this were in effect Today this Area would already be at around 6,700,000 easily, knocking 7,000,000 at the door.
i don't know if the census groups together areas that large, even in CSAs. that would span over 200 miles.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:30 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:

^^^ This. There is quite a big gap between developed areas. The furthest south developed exit in the Atlanta area is Locust Grove exit 212 and Macon's northern suburb of Forsyth is developed up to exit 188. Between those exits, you've got a bunch of nothing (including a state park; High Falls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
macon; simply for distance and the urbanization of that corridor. I-185 is a long and dark road; by comparison, you barely get out of the macon suburbs before you're in the southern suburbs of atlanta.
185? Aren't you referring to 475? 185 connects to Columbus, whereas 475 bypasses Macon to its west.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
^^^ This. There is quite a big gap between developed areas. The furthest south developed exit in the Atlanta area is Locust Grove exit 212 and Macon's northern suburb of Forsyth is developed up to exit 188. Between those exits, you've got a bunch of nothing (including a state park; High Falls)

185? Aren't you referring to 475? 185 connects to Columbus, whereas 475 bypasses Macon to its west.
I think that's what he meant. 185 has nothing showing that Columbus to Atlanta is hardly developed between 85 and Columbus.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:

That because Cartersville is literally next to Cobb County and in Metro Atlanta. SC is further away. Metro Atlanta did not grow in a perfect spiral Hall and North Gwinnett are more populated and more further out then Cartersville. But right Metro Atlanta is growing to Chattanooga faster. But I don't think the idea means completely develop out but rather relatively close.

Atlanta - Athens CSA is only two counties away from SC while these county may never grow into true suburban from there rual state is kinda bananas. Up State SC CSA is 1.4 million more populated than Chattanooga and sits right between Atlanta and Charlotte.

The Greenville CSA or Upstate SC is the most populated part of SC

The Piedmont crescent or Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro is the most populated part of NC

Piedmont Region of Georgia Atlanta-Athens is the most populated part of GA

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/...1f32c739_o.jpg

http://www.yourwildlife.org/wp-conte...nta_figure.jpg

Old 10-30-2015, 10:47 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
For some reason, i can Actually see the new HOT Toll lanes being added on I-75 South Metro Adding to the Growth between Macon and Atlanta.. I can already see a massive change taking place.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:56 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
It wouldn't be a Megalopolis by definition, but I think the addition of Macon to Atlanta's CSA is coming in the next couple of decades. Not sure about others, but Columbus and Chattanooga seem likely sometime in the future as well. I believe they are all already included in the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...tic_Megaregion

Old 04-11-2016, 01:33 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It wouldn't be a Megalopolis by definition, but I think the addition of Macon to Atlanta's CSA is coming in the next couple of decades. Not sure about others, but Columbus and Chattanooga seem likely sometime in the future as well. I believe they are all already included in the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmo...tic_Megaregion
I can see it itching around to it by the 2020 Census, but definitely by 2030 for Macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta