Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,888,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
One reason nobody lives Downtown is because there is nowhere to live in Downtown.

That's why I think that they should turn the whole Gulch site into a mixed use Atlantic Station type thing, with densely packed high rise residential towers, and some offices.

Underground Atlanta redevelopment also should focus on residential, which I believe is the plan there.

Once the core is more fully built up and thriving, the redevelopment can extend southward to the Garnett area. Bunch of surface parking around there that could be turned into towers with mixed use retail.
30K people live in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Assuming that figure is true, I stand by my remark. Practically nobody lives in the most dense area, the central core of the city. The city has about 500k people. 30/500 = 6%.

The metropolis has something like 6 million. So 1/2 of 1% of metro Atlanta resides downtown.

Needs a whole of development, with an emphasis on dense residential.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,888,405 times
Quote:
Assuming that figure is true, I stand by my remark. Practically nobody lives in the most dense area, the central core of the city. The city has about 500k people. 30/500 = 6%.

The metropolis has something like 6 million. So 1/2 of 1% of metro Atlanta resides downtown.

Yes downtown needs more residential, but 30K is more than many suburban towns.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:28 AM

749 posts, read 887,694 times
Quote:

You realize that Chicago's loop, for all intents and purposes, the "downtown" area of Chicago, a city with a population of over 2.7 million, has a population of 30k. I agree that Downtown Atlanta needs more residents but to say that no one lives there is hyperbole.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,145,078 times
Quote:
I agree that Downtown Atlanta needs more residents but to say that no one lives there is hyperbole.
Agreed.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,274,021 times
Good point, but Chicago Loop is a bit different scenario, since there's no room left to build anything in there. And it's very geared to be an office district.

Downtown Atlanta should be more like Midtown Atlanta. A more balanced and varied community, with a thriving street scene and night scene. People walking to work.

Especially since there's so much space and surface parking to build stuff on.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,920 times
Quote:
Good point, but Chicago Loop is a bit different scenario, since there's no room left to build anything in there. And it's very geared to be an office district.

Downtown Atlanta should be more like Midtown Atlanta. A more balanced and varied community, with a thriving street scene and night scene. People walking to work.

Especially since there's so much space and surface parking to build stuff on.
Downtown NYC doesn't function the same as midtown manhattan. Why should Atlanta do the same?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,788,941 times
Downtown just needs a project like 12th and Midtown to start the drastic change. Remember how Midtown was by 12th and Midtown? The perfect area to jump start this is the 4 parking lots across from the W

Old 10-13-2015, 05:54 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,187,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Downtown just needs a project like 12th and Midtown to start the drastic change. Remember how Midtown was by 12th and Midtown? The perfect area to jump start this is the 4 parking lots across from the W
I don't think so because by its very nature as the core of the urban area, Downtown is already more built up and urban than Midtown ever was. I think Downtown will benefit more from redevelopment along Peachtree and in the Farlie-Poplar district with some great urban infill between Peachtree street and Centennial Park. Also, that entire area (Allen Plaza or Centennial Hill) is kind of out of the way from the rest of downtown.

The dynamics are quite different in downtown, with tourism and GSU being engines of growth that somehow need to be leveraged to create livable neighborhoods. Some of that is already happening on the eastern side of downtown with new residential although it is mostly GSU focused and nightlife along Edgewood.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,447,904 times
Where the hell this thread going now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta