Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,221,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Stop the revolving door that is the Fulton County Jail.
Exactly. Focus on making criminal justice that's just for the community that needs repeat offenders off the damned streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like some of the folks in Midtown are getting pretty fired up about crime. I'm sure that is true in other areas as well.

Business owner frustrated after third burglary at store | www.ajc.com
I walk past this business all the time, and had no idea about these break-ins. I like that the owner isn't backing down, and I can't wait to hear about these idiots being put away for a long time. More people walking on these streets, thanks to more development nearby, will hopefully help curb these kinds of brazen crimes.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 AM

32,036 posts, read 36,907,551 times
Seems like there have been a lot of smash and grabs in the Buckhead area, too.

Burglars Strike Buckhead Atlanta

Eight people wanted in Buckhead smash-and-grab | www.ajc.com

UPDATE: Burglars Hit Buckhead Store | Buckhead, GA Patch

Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,167,329 times
Policing for Crime Prevention

Quote:
One of the most striking recent findings is the extent to which the police themselves create a risk factor for crime simply by using bad manners. Modest but consistent scientific evidence supports the hypothesis that the less respectful police are towards suspects and citizens generally, the less people will comply with the law. Changing police "style" may thus be as important as focusing police "substance." Making both the style and substance of police practices more "legitimate" in the eyes of the public, particularly high-risk juveniles, may be one of the most effective long-term police strategies for crime prevention.
While it makes sense that more cops equals less crime, the quote above provides an interesting and important caveat.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:11 PM

225 posts, read 278,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Edit: Also want to note - I say this from experience. I was held up at gunpoint in Midtown about 1 month ago. Having a gun on me would have done absolutely NOTHING in that situation, except start a gunfight in a crowded area. Since I was caught off guard, if I even had any time to reach for a gun, the criminal would have pulled his trigger first.
This is the logical fallacy behind the proponents of gun proliferation and ubiquitous concealed carry -- they argue that everyone carrying guns will prevent you from being a victim and decrease crime. However, most armed robberies involve an element of surprise and occur when you are not ready to pull. Pulling a weapon in that situation only increases your chances of being shot and killed.

It is one thing to have a gun for home protection, but this idea that everyone should be walking around armed all of the time is dangerous and absurd.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:19 PM

I really like the bike patrols. Those guys can move. Years ago we had a daytime robbery at one of our locations and the bike police were on it like you know what. They ran the bad guys down, tackled them and had them hauled away in a patrol car. Damn good policing.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I was held up at gunpoint in Midtown about 1 month ago.
I am really sorry to hear that, CCATL.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
This is the logical fallacy behind the proponents of gun proliferation and ubiquitous concealed carry -- they argue that everyone carrying guns will prevent you from being a victim and decrease crime. However, most armed robberies involve an element of surprise and occur when you are not ready to pull. Pulling a weapon in that situation only increases your chances of being shot and killed.

It is one thing to have a gun for home protection, but this idea that everyone should be walking around armed all of the time is dangerous and absurd.
Exactly. It's sad when people's response to shootings is, "this wouldn't have happened if, instead of one idiot with a gun, there were 20 idiots with guns."

Old 10-06-2015, 01:05 PM

283 posts, read 361,475 times
GASP! That might mean the cops actually have to work!

Old 10-06-2015, 01:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,938,938 times
Cops need to get out of their cars more and walk the beat, be seen, get to know the area and neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta