Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Cops need to get out of their cars more and walk the beat, be seen, get to know the area and neighbors.
Maybe now my comment about police being in better shape (that I was blasted about a year or two ago) will resonate with some. Being overweight is just a real problem in the south because of the diet and the acceptance. In order to have police walk beats and ride bikes, they have to be in a bit of better shape. Unfortunately, many police, like nurses, are overweight and in very poor shape. They couldn't chase a suspect if they needed to do so. I actually think this is why many are firing their weapons and making poor decisions in various cases around the country - some of them just are not fit enough to chase a suspect, etc. and diffuse the situation without gunpower.

However, I would loooove to see police walking a beat and talking to residents, etc. It's nice just seeing and waving to the police traffic patrolmen in my neighborhood everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
It's high time that we make crime illegal!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Stop the revolving door that is the Fulton County Jail.
There was an AJC article about this a few months ago. It was phenomenal how much of crime was repeat offenders let out early or people awaiting trial.

I find a lot of complacency here about crime. Knew someone who got mugged in Reynoldstown and hardly seemed fazed. Good to hear people are getting upset.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am really sorry to hear that, CCATL.
Thanks arjay! It's really an experience I wouldn't wish on anybody. I really hope this city cracks down on solving not only crime itself, but the factors that lead to people feeling like they need to commit a crime. I agree with Bu2 (!), this city is very complacent compared to other places I have lived when it comes to petty and major crimes.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,817 times
My friend's car was broken into a couple of days ago. It seems the losers are out in increasing numbers. Pathetic.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Thanks arjay! It's really an experience I wouldn't wish on anybody. I really hope this city cracks down on solving not only crime itself, but the factors that lead to people feeling like they need to commit a crime. I agree with Bu2 (!), this city is very complacent compared to other places I have lived when it comes to petty and major crimes.
What you listed in previous post are the only ways to truly stop crime. many times kids commit crimes because they feel they have no future and live for today. Unlike many of us that know we don't want to risk our future by committing a crime, these kids do not see a future and then get a record and can't find a good job, so they turn back to crime. It's an endless cycle.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:47 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
What you listed in previous post are the only ways to truly stop crime. many times kids commit crimes because they feel they have no future and live for today. Unlike many of us that know we don't want to risk our future by committing a crime, these kids do not see a future and then get a record and can't find a good job, so they turn back to crime. It's an endless cycle.
So true, cq.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like some of the folks in Midtown are getting pretty fired up about crime. I'm sure that is true in other areas as well.

Robbers threaten Midtown mom with gun in front of her kids

Business owner frustrated after third burglary at store | www.ajc.com
mixed feelings.....

Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
+238592837592835

Thank you. Yes yes and yes. Guns won't make anything safer, regardless of who is carrying them. Even a well intentioned gun owner can start a shoot out with a criminal, and a crowded midtown street is NOT the place we want that happening.

Edit: Also want to note - I say this from experience. I was held up at gunpoint in Midtown about 1 month ago. Having a gun on me would have done absolutely NOTHING in that situation, except start a gunfight in a crowded area. Since I was caught off guard, if I even had any time to reach for a gun, the criminal would have pulled his trigger first.
Hey what happened during your robbery where and how did it happen? Do you think you were targeted and the robber had a plan or was it just a random thing?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,729 times
Quote:

so true...have seen this cycle many times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta