Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking to move to Atlanta from the Bronx, NY. I don't know too much about Atlanta all I know is it's WAY cheaper than NYC's rent, I need a little info from people that know the area well. How much would be a bill with sewer, hot water, and trash? ( don't get charged any of that in NYC. ) I'm 18, so very young, I'm looking for a place where I'm gonna be around other people in my age group. I'm a city boy so I'm trying to stay in the metropolitan area but I'm looking at apartments in Decateur county. If I was to get an apartment in Decateur county is there like a bus or train to get me into the metropolitan area? I want to get a one bedroom apartment looking to spend $500 - $750 a month. If I got to move to a more urban area just to get rent in that range then what areas do you suggest? I grew up in a rough area in the Bronx so the ghetto doesn't really bother me. And with all honesty, I heard that people from Atlanta really don't like people from New York is that true? Lol just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Decateur County or Decatur city, GA? Because Decateur county is like at the very edge of southern Georgia and about a 3 hour drive into Atlanta....Decatur, GA has heavy rail into the central city.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times
Wouldn't there be more people of the OP's age going to school in the AUC area?

Check this out

Old 10-24-2015, 07:55 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
You're almost certainly not going to find a one bedroom in that price range in the city of Decatur. I think there are apartments across the street from the Kensington MARTA station that would work for that budget. That's not too far from Decatur. They're probably a little rough, but if you don't mind, it could work for you.

Most of us like New Yorkers and appreciate the infusion of people from around the country.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
We aren't THAT much cheaper than NYC. You'll have to search in less than desirable areas for rent that cheap.
Also, people dislike New Yorkers who mention they're from NYC all the time:
"I'm from New York, this is nothing" or "Back in New York we did it like this..." etc.
Doesn't mean you can't mention it from time to time to add some perspective, but definitely don't overdo it with people you just met.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:00 PM

50 posts, read 62,862 times
With a roommate in a two bedroom, your budget could work.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Decateur County or Decatur city, GA? Because Decateur county is like at the very edge of southern Georgia and about a 3 hour drive into Atlanta....Decatur, GA has heavy rail into the central city.
I think it's Decateur county, but I know someone that lives in the Bronx that's from Atlanta and he compared the counties in Atlanta like the boroughs in New York. Is that true at all?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
These are two VERY different places...Decatur County is hundreds of miles from Atlanta while the town of Decatur is adjacent to Atlanta.

Decatur County, GA:

City of Decatur in DeKalb County, GA (Metro Atlanta):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: