Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

16 posts, read 35,460 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

So I was born and raised in NY, I'm 21, and I am more then likely moving out to OK in a few months with a buddy of mine. He's in the military and getting stationed out there and I'm heading out with him.

I haven't really heard much about the place and I'm trying to find out as much as I can. I think I'm heading out to the Midwest City area if that matters.

I'm a pretty progressive thinker, Closer to Liberal then Conservative but it does depend on the issue, I'm a White Middle Easterner, Agnostic, etc.

I'm not a snobby Yankee by any means, pretty mellow and what have you.

So what can you guys tell me that I should expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
For starters, you picked a good time to come move to Oklahoma City since it's growing and doing well, despite the national economic slow down. Hopefully, you'll be more often amused and happy about all the differences from NY.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Get ready for a much slower pace. Lots of open spaces. Friendlier people.

Of course, you might find people are TOOO slow, there's nothing out here (or you have to drive to get there), and people want to butt into your life.

Depends on your perspective and expectations.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Yea, that is my hope is well. What kind of differences am I realistically looking at.

Keep in mind, its not like I spend all of my time chilling out in Manhattan, mostly just hanging out in the 'burbs.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Hm, what do you mean by butt into my life? I'm not an introvert or anything but I do like my private life to stay that way.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:31 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Well, I was just trying to think of something more extreme/irritating than just being friendly.

I've lived in the midwest all my life but I've worked with a lot of people who transferred in from all over the country. Some people loved it here, others couldn't wait to get out. I think the trick is, once you get here, figure out what it is here that you like better than NY, be it the traffic or the people (or whatever), and not to concentrate on things that you "miss" from back home that are lacking in Oklahoma.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
expect people to ask you what church you go to.

nationally, the republican primary is the election

do you do copenhagen or do you have to have that sissy stuff that comes in filter paper?

do you prefer justins or Tony's?

is your name short enough to fit on the back of your belt?

is your idea of a great time a steak at cattlemans followed by a seat in the slobber slinging section of the PBR?

does the thought of bulls testicles make your mouth water?

are you looking forward to learning the difference between a wall cloud and circulation?

welcome to Okie homer..........

Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe2111 View Post
Hm, what do you mean by butt into my life? I'm not an introvert or anything but I do like my private life to stay that way.
I moved from socal a bit over a year ago. There I didn't know my neighbors at all. I too like to keep my life private. I haven't found that people want to snoop, but they are friendly and speak to each other. The neighbors across the street didn't know me at all but noticed the door had blown open and knocked to see if anything was wrong.

I'm pagan and have not had anyone try to foist religion on me either. I did have incidents of that in socal. Religion seems to be important here, but its personally important over being pushed.

One thing that is guarenteed to bug you at first is the slowness of life. I don't know how much of a pace your used to but things just take time here. It took a while before I relaxed, and I didn't like the big rush in socal. After the relatively few trees in socal, I spent the first months going wow with trees.

I think if you give people a chance here they will give you one.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM

If you want to get out and socialize in Oklahoma one of the most popular ways to do it is to go to church. There's not much of a bar culture in Oklahoma as means of socializing. Going to bars and night clubs to socialize is kinda looked down upon, except by many of the young single people.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
expect people to ask you what church you go to.

nationally, the republican primary is the election

do you do copenhagen or do you have to have that sissy stuff that comes in filter paper?

do you prefer justins or Tony's?

is your name short enough to fit on the back of your belt?

is your idea of a great time a steak at cattlemans followed by a seat in the slobber slinging section of the PBR?

does the thought of bulls testicles make your mouth water?

are you looking forward to learning the difference between a wall cloud and circulation?

welcome to Okie homer..........
lol Don't worry about most of this Abe. Except for first two, and last one the pointers are for the people moving to the little hick towns and ranches outside of Oklahoma City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma