Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 AM

658 posts, read 1,144,841 times

Advertisements

Get it written into future lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,683,165 times
Well, it's a leasing office, not a concierge service. And with the number of people shopping online this year being exponentially higher, it's only going to get worse. The leasing office's job is to LEASE, not to handle your mail. What do you expect them to do -- set aside a separate office just to handle resident's packages? Hire an extra admin to handle the packages and keep track of who got what? You have two options:

1. Rent a private mail box at someplace like a UPS store
2. Have packages delivered to your office.

I'll warn you, though, that your office may be thinking of a similar restriction -- I know our receptionist was swamped with people in the office having packages delivered to the office - at one point just before Christmas, the pile next to her desk was truly awe-inspiring, there must have been 40 packages there. She could barely get to her desk!

Old 12-31-2015, 06:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,683,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoflin View Post
That's the weird thing, we do have those big lockers. I used those at previous apartment complexes. However I do not think they are in use for whatever reason. I understand that during Christmas there are probably not enough lockers to go around and the excess would have to be kept in the office. I think a more fair solution is to charge some type of surcharge if your packages aren't picked up in a reasonable amount of time.
The lockers are usually only available to USPS. UPS, FedEx, etc., can't use them.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,955,084 times
Even at my relatively low rent college apartment they took packages for us. The beginning of every semester they had tons of boxes for textbooks.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,044,544 times
Can you Ship to your Office/Work?

My office package room looks like Santa workshop part2 over the holiday. (It's a fairly good sized secured room). UPS/FedEx/USPS just put it there and Security signs for it all.

All of them have tracking so you know when to go look for your stuff,

Once a week or so, Some one from building services will look to see what has not been picked up and send a Email.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,375,685 times
Receiving and dealing with 20-30 packages a day, which will likely only become more, is a pretty big thing to ask an office to deal with. It depends on how many people work in the office and how much time they have.

With 20-30 packages a day, I'd have to assume there are at least 100 apartments. Raise rent by $30, and hire a person to provide this amenity.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:12 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,831,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Are UPS and Fedex unable to deliver to your front door?
I am with this comment. What is the reason they can't? I suppose obviously there could be some concern about theft, but it really seems the delivery people are not willing to make the rounds.

I had the opposite problem in that I did not want packages delivered to my leasing office. Can't they just put a notice on the door or in the mailbox and let me check something that schedules another delivery time or gives the option of me picking it up? I found having to go to the leasing office where they dumped off everything a full on pain in the behind.

Well, that's just me but OP, are you sure there is nothing in your lease agreement about features and amenities that includes some description of the leasing office receiving packages when you're not home?

Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 PM

283 posts, read 361,282 times
I've lived in 6 different apartment communities and all accept packages for residents. The fact that yours doesn't is crazy. To expect residents to go out and get a PO Box (which many places won't ship to anyway) or drive to a UPS/FedEx location is absurd.

Honestly, I'd consider finding a new complex once you lease expires. Any reputable complex handles packages for residents.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 PM

102 posts, read 180,374 times
OP here. I doubt there is anything in my lease but that is a good idea to check it. UPS and FedEx because they deliver to my door and will schedule redelivery are less of an issue. USPS however does not deliver to the door. I doubt they would even if requested because I live near the back of a pretty large complex (far away from the central community mailboxes). I will be very curious to see if my complex stands by this new policy or backs off due to complaints. I will likely not renew my lease come expiration. This must be even worse for those who rely on public transportation and do not have a car. It isn't just this one issue but I feel their lack of accommodation on this type of thing doesn't bode well for their overall quality of service.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:28 AM

276 posts, read 431,772 times
This is a new trend I've heard of with the uptake in online shopping. Leasing offices don't have the room and staff to deal with the bevy of packages. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more complexes started refusing to accept packages. Actually, my sister lives in a MS college town and even there the complex that used to accept packages no longer does due to space contraints. Eventually, I can see the high-end complexes building holding areas and putting the cost to staff it in everyone's rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: