Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM

524 posts, read 523,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Conservatives should be all for this, as it is all about school choice. Unless of course they want LGBTQ kids to grow up in potentially hostile environments--you know, like Christ commanded.
Well I'm a lesbian who wasn't subjected to hostile environments in schools. t think the hostile environment is created by the parents of cross-dressing children who make unreasonable demands such as letting little Johnny take showers with naked girls because he feelz like a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,795,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
What are you guys take on this. With some many LGBT teen kids dropping out and committing suicide. I think this is a good idea. There's already school in NYC called Harvey Milk High School

School for LGBT youth called first of its kind in Georgia | www.ajc.com
Maybe OK as a last resort thing for kids who attend schools whose culture is truly poisonous/dangerous. But, after listening to the school's reps on the radio, I think that what the group is already doing without a school may be far more constructive for a far greater number of people--offering home tutoring and mentoring services--and acting as a general advocate for kids having an especially difficult time being accepted at school.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:44 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,381,647 times
I'm all for it. They deserve the opportunity to be in an environment where they can more concentrate on their studies rather than be bullied because of who they are.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
I'm a lesbian who was "out" in high school and college. My friends were also out. I did not experience any sort of discrimination, probably because I assimilated and didn't force my lifestyle onto others or demand special rights.

A gay high school is unnecessary because gay kids aren't much different from their straight counterparts. But I do think transgender children should be assigned to a special school where their mental and emotional needs are properly addressed.

Cross-dressing children can present with unique challenges and serious emotional issues that are quite distracting in a normal learning environment.

Yeah but no one should be forced to assimilate. In your case, it was your choice (which is fine). You didn't force your lifestyle onto others? That's lovely, but there are many people who don't push their lifestyle on others and are bullied really badly in school. I would say through my experiences, I never saw gay people push their lifestyle on anyone, yet they still got a lot of abuse.

Demand special rights? You mean the right to go to prom with someone of the same gender? Is that a special right? You mean the right not to be called fa*got as you walk down the hallway? Give me a break.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh ... How big is the problem REALLY?! Where I grew up, down in Fayette County (which is about as conservative a place you can get in Georgia) there are MANY out kids in the high schools. They go to the prom together and hold hands at the football games. The Fayette County BOE even has a policy of allowing GL kids to room together on school trips (with adult supervision) to avoid conflicts and awkward incidents with straight kids.

I'm not saying the road is easy and everything is perfect -- but FOR GODS SAKES! Generations of gay and lesibian kids managed to survive high school just fine (myself included) in an era when public acceptance and understanding was non-existent.

Yes, this is unnecessary.

Why are you so upset about this? You should be glad that some people will have the chance to go to a school where they feel accepted.

I also grew up in school when public acceptance and understanding was non-existent. No one should have to 'survive' high school. Even teachers would pick on LGBT students. How can you learn in an environment where you are experiencing so much abuse? Having these policies in place means nothing unless they are enforced.

This reminds me of policies that are meant to prevent discrimination against minorities. They are there but do they necessarily stop discrimination? I grew up in schools where people pushed this false b.s. 'color blind' ideology, but let me tell you, these schools were far from it. Society is far from it.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,266,576 times
Quote:
MANY?! Sorry to disappoint you, but the average high school MIGHT have 2-3 legitimately "trans" kids. Yes, incidents of trans-gender persons is just that rare.

I love how straight people think they understand the gay community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Well I'm a lesbian who wasn't subjected to hostile environments in schools. t think the hostile environment is created by the parents of cross-dressing children who make unreasonable demands such as letting little Johnny take showers with naked girls because he feelz like a girl.
Holy ****. It is so shameful that the two worst examples of shallow, privledged thinking and all-out transphobic propaganda came from the two LGBT people in this thread.

I'm gay, and I grew up in a rural area of Alabama, and life was hard. I had to hide my orientation until I left to go to college because I was afraid for my personal safety both at school and at home. And because I am cisgender and could easily pass as straight, I still had it much easier than the gay kids at my school who couldn't.

It is shocking to see other LGBT people so completely entrenched in their own privilege that they can't understand why some LGBT kids would have a better educational experience if they weren't distracted by the constant fear that the wrong person might find out they're gay, and abuse them as a result.

This school will be an asset to our city and our state.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,978,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Conservatives should be all for this, as it is all about school choice. Unless of course they want LGBTQ kids to grow up in potentially hostile environments--you know, like Christ commanded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Holy ****. It is so shameful that the two worst examples of shallow, privledged thinking and all-out transphobic propaganda came from the two LGBT people in this thread.

I'm gay, and I grew up in a rural area of Alabama, and life was hard. I had to hide my orientation until I left to go to college because I was afraid for my personal safety both at school and at home. And because I am cisgender and could easily pass as straight, I still had it much easier than the gay kids at my school who couldn't.

It is shocking to see other LGBT people so completely entrenched in their own privilege that they can't understand why some LGBT kids would have a better educational experience if they weren't distracted by the constant fear that the wrong person might find out they're gay, and abuse them as a result.

This school will be an asset to our city and our state.
You do know that all GLBT are not alike -- just like every other "group" of people on this earth? Though I'm openly gay, I do not belong to any "community" nor do I embrace an agenda. That's why I (and most of my friends) quit going to Gay Pride parades years ago. And don't get me started on politics!

If this helps *some* GLBT kids then good for them. But removing ourselves from society and hiding behind safe enclaves is not the way to acceptance or understanding, for ourselves or for others.

Growing up is not easy for anyone (gay, straight or otherwise) and navigating the complicated teenage years is a scary thing for EVERYBODY! That's LIFE! And that's what makes us strong, builds character and leads us to find our place in society.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:22 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,266,576 times
Quote:
You do know that all GLBT are not alike -- just like every other "group" of people on this earth? Though I'm openly gay, I do not belong to any "community" nor do I embrace an agenda. That's why I (and most of my friends) quit going to Gay Pride parades years ago. And don't get me started on politics!
Yes I do know that, and the comments in this thread have proved it quite evidently. And no one mentioned politics so please don't get yourself started.

Quote:
If this helps *some* GLBT kids then good for them. But removing ourselves from society and hiding behind safe enclaves is not the way to acceptance or understanding, for ourselves or for others.
Yes, some. That's why I italicized the word "some." I'm not the one who suggested mandatory segregation like another commenter did in this thread.

Please please please listen to your own advice and recognize that not all LGBT experiences are the same. It's great that you turned out alright but to say this school is unnecessary because all gay kids should just adapt as well as you did -- that's just silly.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:31 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,461,628 times
Quote:

Growing up is not easy for anyone (gay, straight or otherwise) and navigating the complicated teenage years is a scary thing for EVERYBODY! That's LIFE! And that's what makes us strong, builds character and leads us to find our place in society.
Exactly the teenagers years are rough and all kids is subject to be pick on just for one small difference.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Quite frankly, I find it a little weird. It's not my situation to cope with but good gracious I think as far as things go nobody wants to be sent to a "special" school.

How's that going to work as far as acceptance goes? There has to be some blending in eventually. I'm going to go a step further and say I think it sounds ridiculous. - what's next we make separate schools for those kids who are allergic (yeah right) to peanuts or wheat?

This is getting a little out of hand.
At $13,000/yr tuition, I don't think the danger of anyone being "sent" there exists.

I see the sense of offering a safe place for LGBT students in high school, maybe even in the middle school years. But, a K-12 school? Who would support labels on 5 yr olds?

Otherwise, I'm all in favor of doing whatever it takes to make sure every child has an education. I believe if there isn't a need, it won't succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta