Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 04:03 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,449,713 times

Advertisements

They are telling water athletes to keep their mouth closed because of sewage in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,046,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Pretty much of the same opinion here -- the modern Olympics is an idea whose time has come and gone. They have given the world a treasure trove of memorable, and iconic, sporting moments for more than a century. But it might be time to lay them to rest.
No way...the modern Olympics should continue as long as there is a demand for it. Things need to change - like the expectation of spending billions of dollars on stadiums that will be abandoned later...see Athens as a great example of this. They need to be sure the LA/Atlanta/London model is always used, where there is purpose for the buildings following the 2 weeks of Olympic use. The Olympics should be a great shot in the arm for any host city - if done correctly. Of course the jury is still out on Rio, but it looks like they have not planned well for afterwards. I guess we shall see.

I can't even imagine Atlanta if we had not been a host city...we certainly wouldn't be the same city today. A lot of the development and improvements that we've seen since 1990 are a direct (or at least indirect) result of the '96 Olympics. I know other cities have similarly benefited too, especially London.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times
When this matter has been brought up in the past (20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.) the best idea I saw floated was the designation of (at most) four or five "permanent" host cities, cities that knew that they'd have the games at least every twenty years, and therefore would have the incentive to retain and maintain suitable facilities.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:26 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
When this matter has been brought up in the past (20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.) the best idea I saw floated was the designation of (at most) four or five "permanent" host cities, cities that knew that they'd have the games at least every twenty years, and therefore would have the incentive to retain and maintain suitable facilities.
That sounds pretty reasonable...and they should open up bidding to non-permanent host cities every few cycles.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,893,568 times
Quote:
A piece in Fortune magazine cites the mounting costs — now estimated at $20 billion — of the Rio Olympics as a rallying call for reevaluating how the Games are put on. The author, who enviably got to be a torch bearer in Atlanta, cites three lessons from the Atlanta Games that could serve to make the Olympics a better experience for host cities in the future: support, profit, and securing a useful legacy.
Rio debt makes Atlanta

Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta got a lot of flack for how it funded the Games, but it seems history has vindicated it.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:42 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Despite their problems, from my sofa, the Rio games look really good. Only noticeable problem was the green water in the diving pool.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Despite their problems, from my sofa, the Rio games look really good. Only noticeable problem was the green water in the diving pool.
There have been numerous problems but they aren't really highlighting them on tv. I guess that's the way it should be, but I bet we'll hear a lot about them afterwards. The scenery is beautiful and the real focus is the competition, so from a spectator standpoint it looks great.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:20 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There have been numerous problems but they aren't really highlighting them on tv. I guess that's the way it should be, but I bet we'll hear a lot about them afterwards. The scenery is beautiful and the real focus is the competition, so from a spectator standpoint it looks great.
Rio is stunningly beautiful. As far as problems, I'd only worry about stuff that would hinder staging the games.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Rio is stunningly beautiful. As far as problems, I'd only worry about stuff that would hinder staging the games.
There have been multiple problems with the athletes village. I've read/heard about many of them leaving for hotels. A lot of the venues have had sparse crowds too, which doesn't look great on tv and doesn't make for an exciting environment. A lot of these and other things will come out after the games are over, but I still enjoy watching them. What I hate is the politics involved in awarding the host city...this should have been Chicago's year and we wouldn't have had the issues - but oh well. The IOC seems to think they know what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta