Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,393,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
When this matter has been brought up in the past (20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.) the best idea I saw floated was the designation of (at most) four or five "permanent" host cities, cities that knew that they'd have the games at least every twenty years, and therefore would have the incentive to retain and maintain suitable facilities.
Ought to be Athens, Greece. They'd just have to keep the venues and maintain them. Maybe once ever 12 years open up the bidding process to allow another city to be the host.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,059,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Ought to be Athens, Greece. They'd just have to keep the venues and maintain them. Maybe once ever 12 years open up the bidding process to allow another city to be the host.
Athens 2004 was not a successful venture, and the economy in Greece is not conducive to hosting the Olympics and probably won't be for some time. It would be terrible to place that burden on one city for the foreseeable future - especially when there are so many world cities that have the money and government backing to do a great job with the games. What's shocking to me is the lack of representation for the Summer Games in the U.S. It's a shame that we don't get more chances to host than we do...I mean Europe has hosted dozens of times and the U.S. has hosted just four times. Anyway, multiple cities have the venues and the money/economy to host, so I can't see keeping it in one place...and definitely not in Athens. I seriously doubt they would/could agree to it anyway.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,138,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Athens 2004 was not a successful venture, and the economy in Greece is not conducive to hosting the Olympics and probably won't be for some time. It would be terrible to place that burden on one city for the foreseeable future - especially when there are so many world cities that have the money and government backing to do a great job with the games. What's shocking to me is the lack of representation for the Summer Games in the U.S. It's a shame that we don't get more chances to host than we do...I mean Europe has hosted dozens of times and the U.S. has hosted just four times. Anyway, multiple cities have the venues and the money/economy to host, so I can't see keeping it in one place...and definitely not in Athens. I seriously doubt they would/could agree to it anyway.
In fairness, we did get two within 12 years of each other (Los Angeles in 1984 and Atlanta in 1996), plus two Winter Games book-ending them (Lake Placid in '80 and SLC in 2002). Most of the recent lack of hosting had stemmed from stadium disputes (NYC in 2012) and a pissing match between the IOC and USOC on the allocation of TV revenue (which helped derail Chicago's 2016 bid).

I'd bet money that Los Angeles is selected next year for 2024.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,731,631 times
Quote:
Despite their problems, from my sofa, the Rio games look really good. Only noticeable problem was the green water in the diving pool.
And the competitor who had to drop out because he contracted something while practicing in the days leading up to competition.

Rio's dirty water claims 'first victim': star Belgian sailor sick after racing on polluted bay

Oh, and the fact that whatever is wrong with the water in the diving pools - well - that's now Rio's residents' concern, since the water was dumped directly into the inadequate Rio waste water system.

Quote:
A lot of the venues have had sparse crowds too, which doesn't look great on tv and doesn't make for an exciting environment.
Quote:
Ought to be Athens, Greece.
A major consideration needs to be where attendance would be most consistently healthiest, and Greece isn't one such place.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And the competitor who had to drop out because he contracted something while practicing in the days leading up to competition.

Rio's dirty water claims 'first victim': star Belgian sailor sick after racing on polluted bay
And if the games were moved to Atlanta, it could have been the West Nile virus.

West Nile virus is back; what you need to know | www.ajc.com

Quote:
Oh, and the fact that whatever is wrong with the water in the diving pools - well - that's now Rio's residents' concern, since the water was dumped directly into the inadequate Rio waste water system.
Or maybe everything is just fine as it has been pre-treated.

Quote:
A major consideration needs to be where attendance would be most consistently healthiest, and Greece isn't one such place.
It's on Europe's doorstep, and a popular vacation spot. My point is Athens has built the infrastructure and has what is needed in place. It doesn't have to build from scratch as does any new host city.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
And if the games were moved to Atlanta, it could have been the West Nile virus.

West Nile virus is back; what you need to know | www.ajc.com

Or maybe everything is just fine as it has been pre-treated.

It's on Europe's doorstep, and a popular vacation spot. My point is Athens has built the infrastructure and has what is needed in place. It doesn't have to build from scratch as does any new host city.
Refugees are currently being housed in the 2004 stadiums...that's the only use they're getting and they have fallen into massive disrepair. It would take millions to bring them back up to Olympic standards. Greece is one of the least prepared countries to host the Olympics right now and will continue to be for a long time to come. We would be in big trouble if we were depending on that country to host anytime soon. US and European (and a few other) cities have game-ready infrastructure in place from professional sports teams and universities and can host with very little effort...I mean, how much building will LA have to do to host in 2024? Very little, as would be the case with London, Atlanta, Sydney, or most any recent host city other than Athens.

"Could have been the West Nile virus" is not a valid argument against all of the issues going on in Rio. The athletes village doesn't even have air conditioning because of budget cuts! The problem is that, even with all of the economic strides made in Brazil recently, it's still a borderline 3rd world country - we shouldn't be having to worry about diseases from waterways during the Olympics and wouldn't be in a host city that was truly ready to host. The media is trying to make everything look smooth right now, but I guarantee you that many more issues will come out when it's all over.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,461,628 times
It seems like sports is all about money. Tv contracts for College and professional sports are ridiculous. To build just to when the right to host a Super Bowl, Olympics, Final Four, etc is getting out of hand.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Refugees are currently being housed in the 2004 stadiums...that's the only use they're getting and they have fallen into massive disrepair. It would take millions to bring them back up to Olympic standards. Greece is one of the least prepared countries to host the Olympics right now and will continue to be for a long time to come. We would be in big trouble if we were depending on that country to host anytime soon. US and European (and a few other) cities have game-ready infrastructure in place from professional sports teams and universities and can host with very little effort...I mean, how much building will LA have to do to host in 2024? Very little, as would be the case with London, Atlanta, Sydney, or most any recent host city other than Athens.
Costing millions would be a bargain. Atlanta would have a considerable amount of work to do to get back to Olympic readiness.

Quote:
"Could have been the West Nile virus" is not a valid argument against all of the issues going on in Rio. The athletes village doesn't even have air conditioning because of budget cuts! The problem is that, even with all of the economic strides made in Brazil recently, it's still a borderline 3rd world country - we shouldn't be having to worry about diseases from waterways during the Olympics and wouldn't be in a host city that was truly ready to host. The media is trying to make everything look smooth right now, but I guarantee you that many more issues will come out when it's all over.
The point made was an athlete got sick because of conditions in Rio. This thread is about the possibility of Atlanta filling in, in a pinch. Apparently, Atlanta has a pestilence too.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Costing millions would be a bargain. Atlanta would have a considerable amount of work to do to get back to Olympic readiness.

The point made was an athlete got sick because of conditions in Rio. This thread is about the possibility of Atlanta filling in, in a pinch. Apparently, Atlanta has a pestilence too.
Multiple Olympians Have Been Held At Gunpoint In Rio

Ryan Lochte was just robbed at gunpoint last night...this has been a constant problem in Rio. It can obviously happen anywhere, but not to the extent that it has happened there.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Are you kidding? There is no comparison between a case of West Nile Virus and the current Zika scare.

Atlanta from 1996 would have much less to do than Athens from 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta