Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 AM

527 posts, read 320,384 times

Advertisements

I think it's misguided to think that just because much of Buckhead going all the way up towards Sandy Springs need to be high density when the issue is that it's extremely low density and treated like a country reserve of sorts. It's inexplicable how that much land can for massive lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,998,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
I think it's misguided to think that just because much of Buckhead going all the way up towards Sandy Springs need to be high density when the issue is that it's extremely low density and treated like a country reserve of sorts. It's inexplicable how that much land can for massive lots.
Let me guess, you are voting for Bernie Sanders. Have you heard of private property? Buckhead isn't treated like a country reserve. It's treated like private property. It's treated like people live there. It's not inexplicable how it can be used for "massive lots". In fact, I can explain it. It's a series of single-family residence neighborhoods, and it's zoned as such by the city. There are actually laws in place to protect the low density. I suppose the zoning board thinks these neighborhoods are important, if you don't.

For example, my neighborhood is zoned R2A. That's a 30,000 sqft lot with 35% coverage. You really don't get to decide what other people do with their private property. I suppose you could rally and get the zoning changed but you will be fighting a whole lot of residents who pay a whole lot of property tax. If you're interested in the details of R2, R2A etc. Here it is for your review.

http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...ocumentid=2174

Old 02-08-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, you are voting for Bernie Sanders. Have you heard of private property?
Wow, that's quite a leap based on me making a simple observation.

Let me guess, you listen to AM radio?

Quote:
Buckhead isn't treated like a country reserve. It's treated like private property. It's treated like people live there.
You miss my point, but then again, you don't care what others' points are because you have a script.

I'm discussing density, smart land use and what makes sense for the city and metro and yes
that land area is like I describe. I never stated that it wasn't private property etc.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,998,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Wow, that's quite a leap based on me making a simple observation.

Let me guess, you listen to AM radio?

You miss my point, but then again, you don't care what others' points are because you have a script.

I'm discussing density, smart land use and what makes sense for the city and metro and yes
that land area is like I describe. I never stated that it wasn't private property etc.

Your use of the word "reserve" gave your own agenda away, as it is defined by Webster's as "a tract of public land set aside for special use".

Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
It seems like upside down world. Nowadays owning your own little patch of paradise is apparently a bad thing. Poor land use, they say, not enough density, you're causing congestion and blocking people from driving fast where you live, and so forth.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Your use of the word "reserve" gave your own agenda away, as it is defined by Webster's as "a tract of public land set aside for special use".
Please don't be so quick to turn things into a political conversation when no one else is talking about politics.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:55 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,870,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Please don't be so quick to turn things into a political conversation when no one else is talking about politics.
Eschewing private property rights and demanding property owners give up their land so that it can be subdivided for the masses screams of a left leaning political agenda. It will be said in a discussion like this.

The funny thing, and this is my personal take, but the sprawl that so many (left leaning mostly) decry was born out of a left leaning post-war ideal. Give me a minute to explain:

Cities were overcrowded, dirty, poor, had ruined the beauty of nature. The hippie culture that was all about peace, love and flower power epitomized this ideal. City planning turned to lovely expanses of nature and very little paving over paradise and putting up a parking lot. Look at the layout of planned cities, our local one is Peachtree City. Take down as few trees as possible. Locate retail in pockets behind permanent green spaces. Look at major capital cities planned in this era: Brasilia and Canberra. Built like suburban office parks. Low rise buildings set in park like spaces. Lots of green, lots of nature.

Of course this development is very spread out and dependent on the automobile. Now that type of development is seen as wasteful, sprawling, contributing to the demise of the planet and the new thinking is pile folks back on top of one another and be happy about it.

I just find it humorous that both ideals had strong left leaning/anti establishment roots behind them. But I don't expect many pro-density advocates to admit this.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Simply amazing - apparently you are an AM radio listener, because on AM radio, everyone speaks of people having an "agenda."

I simply am describing the area in the context of urban discussion.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,144,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Eschewing private property rights and demanding property owners give up their land so that it can be subdivided for the masses screams of a left leaning political agenda. It will be said in a discussion like this.

The funny thing, and this is my personal take, but the sprawl that so many (left leaning mostly) decry was born out of a left leaning post-war ideal. Give me a minute to explain:

Cities were overcrowded, dirty, poor, had ruined the beauty of nature. The hippie culture that was all about peace, love and flower power epitomized this ideal. City planning turned to lovely expanses of nature and very little paving over paradise and putting up a parking lot. Look at the layout of planned cities, our local one is Peachtree City. Take down as few trees as possible. Locate retail in pockets behind permanent green spaces. Look at major capital cities planned in this era: Brasilia and Canberra. Built like suburban office parks. Low rise buildings set in park like spaces. Lots of green, lots of nature.

Of course this development is very spread out and dependent on the automobile. Now that type of development is seen as wasteful, sprawling, contributing to the demise of the planet and the new thinking is pile folks back on top of one another and be happy about it.

I just find it humorous that both ideals had strong left leaning/anti establishment roots behind them. But I don't expect many pro-density advocates to admit this.
And the right don't want to admit that suburbs were born out of the need to get away from racial minorities, particularly blacks. I mean, look at Inman Park when it was first developed back in the early 1900s and touted as a suburb. The developer said that it was a place where no negroes would live.

And the suburban development of the 60s-80s is wasteful, sprawling, and unnecessary. Why do you want Atlanta to sprawl out 50 miles from the downtown area each way? Do you want the Atlanta suburbs to eventually reach the mountains with non-sensical suburban development? Do you want towns like Dahlonega, Helen, etc to become suburban bedroom communities vs. the charming little mountain towns they are now? I certainly don't.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,144,531 times
Quote:
Cities were overcrowded, dirty, poor, had ruined the beauty of nature. The hippie culture that was all about peace, love and flower power epitomized this ideal. City planning turned to lovely expanses of nature and very little paving over paradise and putting up a parking lot

LOL, yeah it was the "liberals" and "hippies" who did this. Everything is left/right to blind partisans.

People need to grow up. All kinds of people moved to the burbs after the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta