Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Ok L5P does remind me of a three block Greenwich Village. EAV although cool has more of a suburban town Main Street feel to me not exactly urban. I agree intown markets are hot AF, but not because they fit in your one size fits all description of urban. They are hot because they provide a comfortable close-in suburban feel with immediate access to urban-like amenities. Who knows, maybe STP is the start of the Cumberland area fitting your idea of urban one-day. Rome wasn't built in a day.
My my my how many pretzels can we twist into to make sure Atlanta is inferior! So we're supposed to believe that the only urban parts of Atlanta are a "few" blocks of South Downtown and Fairlie-Poplar?? Please... Anything even remotely like a "Main Street" is decidedly not suburban. Downtown Atlanta fake? Some of it has issues, but it can't be called suburban. Auburn Ave., Marietta St. corridor on the west side, and Edgewood Ave. are certainly some of the best urban streets and hopefully can revive even more. Castleberry Hill has one of the most urban areas of the entire city, and hopefully will revive more also. Buckhead Village is also an urban district that is only expanding. And anybody with two eyes can see the development of Midtown. The warp speed construction has eliminated most of the parking lots and and is bringing more and more density and street-level amenities. No one speaking objectively could call Midtown "suburban" outside of a few older garden-style apartment projects and single family homes that remain on a few streets. Building canyons now exist on Peachtree, Spring, and West Peachtree. Your comments were disingenuous at best...

All repeat after me: You must remember Atlanta will never be a "real" city. It will never remotely resemble Noo Yawk. It will never attain any semblance of urban life. It will always be far inferior to Noo Yawk. /s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
How "nice" / "urban" / "walkable" does The Battery feel once you are off that one street? Does The Battery offer any sort of street engagement along Circle 75 and Windy Ridge? Any hope of future surrounding developments connecting into the walkable "grid" The Battery has started? Or is it truly all-in on the drive-to Braves-Disneyland idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is true, Cumberland could be on their way to becoming the next Perimeter Center, which is far ahead of Cumberland in urbanity.
Cumberland has been losing ground to Perimeter in corporate relocations. Transit access is a selling point most of those companies have cited and Cumberland is still at least a decade or two from being able to offer that. They need to get moving on that quick.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,876 times
Cumberland is in no way suffering.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Cumberland is in no way suffering.
The mall itself certainly is.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Retail in general is suffering throughout the country.

The Cumberland submarket is on fire.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:11 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Every time I go to Cumberland Mall, it's packed with people. It's doing fine. I don't even think there are any vacancies to speak of. Place is a hangout.

I don't really like it as much as North Point, but it's real close by, so I do go there. It's a decidedly middle class version of Perimeter and Lenox. And it's way better than Gwinnett's malls, and way better located.

Anyone who claims that Cumberland area is not doing well, has no idea what they're talking about. Half the stuff around here is brand new and/or still under construction. And there's a lot more in the pipeline- including tall condo towers near the Cobb Energy. They have a lot of big plans for the area.

Yeah, the area needs mass transit (which Cobb leaders are no longer averse to), and yeah Perimeter Center is bigger, but it also has worse traffic and road layout. Cumberland is healthy. It's a boom town actually.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Is it?

It's in much better health now than 10 years prior and given that developers are molding BA into an entertainment destination and focusing less on retail, I don't see Cumberland going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Honestly most of CoA outside of the Fairlie-Poplar District and a few blocks of south downtown seems like a fake urban center. I don't have a problem with it, but I'm not throwing stones either. How long will it take for your undies to unravel about the Braves leaving Turner Field. The Summerhill and surrounding areas will thrive now with the new plan(s) proposed, so why can't we just all get along (Rodney King voice).
The whole damn city?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The whole damn city?
In his world, grimy + crumbling + imbued with pessimism = urban.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Every time I go to Cumberland Mall, it's packed with people. It's doing fine. I don't even think there are any vacancies to speak of. Place is a hangout.

I don't really like it as much as North Point, but it's real close by, so I do go there. It's a decidedly middle class version of Perimeter and Lenox. And it's way better than Gwinnett's malls, and way better located.

Anyone who claims that Cumberland area is not doing well, has no idea what they're talking about. Half the stuff around here is brand new and/or still under construction. And there's a lot more in the pipeline- including tall condo towers near the Cobb Energy. They have a lot of big plans for the area.

Yeah, the area needs mass transit (which Cobb leaders are no longer averse to), and yeah Perimeter Center is bigger, but it also has worse traffic and road layout. Cumberland is healthy. It's a boom town actually.
"Way better than Gwinnett's malls" is surely damning with faint praise.
With the possible exception of Northlake, I don't know a mall in the metro that is more out of sync with the market that it serves. Bland and visually uninspired, and yet to its' south is Vinings, to its' southeast West Buckhead, to its' east East Cobb. A golden opportunity squandered; why management hasn't really taken the bull by the horns here is a mystery to me, except they're simply not willing to make the needed investment to attract a more exciting retail mix.
I can only imagine the excitement that the opening of a Costco would bring to the customers frequenting Lenox Square or Phipps Plaza. To me, a Costco's presence is tantamount to putting a mall on life support; look at North DeKalb's desperation to bring one in.
Yes, I do believe that the Cumberland district has every reason to be optimistic. They simply need a mall (or some other form of retail center) that's worthy of its' metamorphosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta