Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 PM

114 posts, read 476,075 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd throw this question out there since everyone here always has such good recommendations.

I'm looking to put up a wood (privacy) fence in the backyard of my newly purchased home in Oakhurst. In my brief search, I've come across First Fence of Georgia, Atlanta Decking and Fence, Chamlee Fence Company. Do you have any recommendations on good fencing companies? I'll likely ask folks to come out for a quote sometime in April.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
my advise it to do it yourself. Putting up a privacy fence is ridiculously easy Set the posts on Saturday and hang the pre-made panels on Sunday...save your money for more exciting projects. Sorry I can't give you a name...my husband and I have always done it ourselves...

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
my advise it to do it yourself. Putting up a privacy fence is ridiculously easy Set the posts on Saturday and hang the pre-made panels on Sunday...save your money for more exciting projects. Sorry I can't give you a name...my husband and I have always done it ourselves...
Plus, with the recent storm that downed a bunch of trees (and undoubtedly fences), you may have to wait awhile to get one installed by a contractor.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM

Hmm, that's an idea that hadn't even occurred to me. I'm intrigued and would love to take on my first big home improvement project. Is putting up a fence really that easy -- I don't know the first thing about it, but I think it'd be fun to learn! Can I just buy the panels at a hardware store?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times
At some Home Depots and Lowes they teach classes (free!)... you might want to check at the ones near you, to see if they have a class about fencing.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Easy!

You need the premade panels (about 8 ft long, $25 per)

fence posts

a bag of cement per post

post hole digger (type of shovel)

level

It's easy but digging the holes with the post hole digger will get tiring after a while. It definitely a two person job to hang the panels but sinking the posts CAN be done by one person. But it's better to have two.

You will see instructions to brace the posts while the cement sets but if you sink 1/3 of the post and make the cement just a little bit thick and use the post hole digger to dig a narrow hole and not a regular shovel which will make a wider hole...you won't need the braces.

If your soil is real hard then do this after a nice rain and the dig won't be that hard...

It's a good first time project to get your feet wet!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM

82 posts, read 335,630 times
Check with your HOA to ensure there are no fence regulations! If you're planning on setting the fence along the property lines, you may need a survey. It would stink to have to tear down your new fence.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
Funny you should mention those companies - I only know of two fence companies in Atlanta: I had a great experience with Chamblee Fence. They were professional, fair and were able to communicate effectively with my crabby neighbors who weren't too pleased with our fence (even though it was an appropriate height and put in a gate so that their landscape people could easily access their yard). On the other hand, my new neighbors had a horrible experience with First Fence. They damaged existing fence, landscaping, driveway... Good Luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 AM

Unless something major has changed in the past 60 years I don't think the OP will have to worry about any HOA.

Also, in these old city neighborhoods the property lines are usually clear but take a look at your property map on the tax commissioner's website...

But keep a survey in mind....

Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Nope, no HOA to worry about. I do have to check about surveying the property though. Thanks for the reminder.

pinetreelover, thanks for your feedback on those companies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta