Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times

Advertisements

That's a ridiculous argument because:

1) There are other ways to make a living, even if you're poor.

2) Even if you sell drugs, it doesn't mean you have to take them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 12:25 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
ATLANTA -- In the affluent Atlanta suburbs, there's a deadly secret.

Young people are dying from heroin. There are some people who don't want you to know about it.

In the past six years, the number of heroin-related deaths has gone up by 3844% in Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, and Gwinnett counties. The GBI confirms the fastest growing rate of heroin-related deaths is in a cluster of Atlanta's northern wealthy suburbs. That fact is hiding in state and county records. Inside the Triangle is the story of how we found the truth.

Inside the Triangle | Watch the investigation
It's not just in Atlanta; I think it's a nationwide problem. I live an affluent suburb of Kansas City, and it's happening here too.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Of course it isn't an Atlanta problem. NJ first responders have been carrying Narcan for years to counteract overdoses. The only kids I personally know of who are addicted are from the northeast.

The report is sobering, but hardly surprising. And it doesn't address the cause, which, in many case, points to the culpability of the medical profession. 75% of heroin users began as prescription opiate abusers. Once they began cracking down on prescription drug use, heroin stepped in.

Our family escaped, but I consider that luck more than anything else. One of my sons needed a couple of surgeries while in high school. He refused to take oxycontin afterwards, and I didn't get it. He knew kids were dealing in it, and didn't want to fall into dependency. I'm grateful every day that my kids were smarter and more aware than I was.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Has there ever been a time that they weren't on drugs? I mean hell they can afford them so is this a big surprise?

Old 02-28-2016, 01:05 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's not just in Atlanta; I think it's a nationwide problem. I live an affluent suburb of Kansas City, and it's happening here too.
Yep. Happening in Northern Virginia where I live as well.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Has there ever been a time that they weren't on drugs? I mean hell they can afford them so is this a big surprise?
Who is the "they" you are referring to? The vast majority of kids are not on drugs.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:55 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
This isn't a surprise or a secret. The "Badlands" in North Philly are well known for supplying to the wealthier suburbanites.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:58 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's a ridiculous argument because:

1) There are other ways to make a living, even if you're poor.

2) Even if you sell drugs, it doesn't mean you have to take them
If you don't have an education due to the environment you live in and selling drugs is the quickest way to get money, then that's what people are going to do. The people selling them aren't using the drugs, it's the affluent people buying them that are using it.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:05 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
And it doesn't address the cause, which, in many case, points to the culpability of the medical profession.
I think you hit on a very important point. I did hear of a few heroin addicts who got into it after sports injuries resulting in surgeries, where the kids were given oxy as they were recovering. Of course, the docs will cut you off at a certain point, and if they aren't trained to recognize dependence, the kids turn to heroin. It's really sad because weaning off oxy isn't that difficult if you understand a dependency has formed. The medical community can play a strong role in helping this. Someone I know was on oxy for a few weeks and forced to go through methadone treatment afterwards, which worked (she said it wasn't fun, but it was more fun than being addicted to drugs).

Quote:
If you don't have an education due to the environment you live in and selling drugs is the quickest way to get money, then that's what people are going to do.
While I'm sympathetic to people who don't have the same access to education as others, this is a poor excuse. We ALL have shortcuts we could take to make more money faster. But regardless of how low your education is, you know the inherent risk involved with selling drugs...so the lack of education due to your environment excuse only gets you so far.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:39 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times
Let's kick down their doors, raid their homes, stop & frisk on the street, then keep arresting all the dealer's & users & throw them in prison for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta