Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 06:44 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised it took 60 something pages before a christian likened gays to pedophilia and beastiality. Usually happens much sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Some sex acts are clearly inconsistent with the moral standard of the Bible and homosexuality is one of them because it is simply contrary to what humans were designed for.
Humans were not designed. Our species in its current form evolved from earlier mammals, which in turn evolved from earlier biology, all the way back to microscopic organisms. Homosexuality is in fact a natural and well observed and historically documented phenomenon that occurs in animals, including a % of the population of our own species. And we're just one version of life, on one single small planet in a vast universe, that isn't centered around us whatsoever. We're a cosmic blink.

The Bible is a totally arbitrary collection of million times-translated old myths, that derive from very similar earlier ancient Egyption creation myths, or even earlier than that. God is a man-imagined, made-up myth, dating from our very ignorant early ages. Jesus is also a multiple times over copied myth, who is not even documented in any historical texts or anywhere outside of the Christian texts. So, probably didn't even exist.

Morality doesn't come from a book, even if we did have omnipotent-authored literature. Morality is ever-evolving as we discover our own humanity. As societies slowly evolve and we think and learn and consider, morality evolves. We shouldn't not kill people because "It says not to here on this tablet", we should feel empathy and respect life, and so forth. Morality should come from a combination of humanity and decency, and just some ground rules to keep the daily order.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,160,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm surprised it took 60 something pages before a christian likened gays to pedophilia and beastiality. Usually happens much sooner.
Yeah it's like clockwork. And listening to some of them try to explain the horrors of backdoor sex is hilariously sad.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Nope. And it still hasn't happened. I was only trying to use things that are still widely considered morally wrong which is increasingly difficult. Substitute bank robbery and wife beating and the point is still the same.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Nope. And it still hasn't happened. I was only trying to use things that are still widely considered morally wrong which is increasingly difficult. Substitute bank robbery and wife beating and the point is still the same.
Beastiality, pedophilia, bank robbery, wife beating, homosexuality

One of these constitutes a normal, healthy human condition that results in consenting relationships (exactly like heterosexuality). The other four are acts that necessitate abuse and harm to others, and they're against the law, for good reason. Thankfully, it now seems most of us understand that homosexuality is a perfectly normal part of human sexuality, and we're moving away from legislating religious mores.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Humans were not designed. Our species in its current form evolved from earlier mammals, which in turn evolved from earlier biology, all the way back to microscopic organisms. Homosexuality is in fact a natural and well observed and historically documented phenomenon that occurs in animals, including a % of the population of our own species. And we're just one version of life, on one single small planet in a vast universe, that isn't centered around us whatsoever. We're a cosmic blink.

The Bible is a totally arbitrary collection of million times-translated old myths, that derive from very similar earlier ancient Egyption creation myths, or even earlier than that. God is a man-imagined, made-up myth, dating from our very ignorant early ages. Jesus is also a multiple times over copied myth, who is not even documented in any historical texts or anywhere outside of the Christian texts. So, probably didn't even exist.

Morality doesn't come from a book, even if we did have omnipotent-authored literature. Morality is ever-evolving as we discover our own humanity. As societies slowly evolve and we think and learn and consider, morality evolves. We shouldn't not kill people because "It says not to here on this tablet", we should feel empathy and respect life, and so forth. Morality should come from a combination of humanity and decency, and just some ground rules to keep the daily order.
Very well said.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

I get that this is your belief system however, you demonstrate your own ignorance in this statement. There is overwhelming historical evidence of Jesus to the point that no serious historian denies His existence. Some 5,000+ ancient manuscripts, a uniquely high number, testify of Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

It is simply not logical that book of "myths" written by 35 different authors over hundreds of years could be so historically and scientifically accurate and withstand attempts discredit it through the ages. In fact history is littered with scientists that came to faith in Jesus BECAUSE of science.

An "evolving" morality is no morality at all. If there is no basis for it, the society as a whole will continue to experience moral decline.

Last edited by J2rescue; 04-11-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
I get that this is your belief system however, you demonstrate your own ignorance in this statement. There is overwhelming historical evidence of Jesus to the point that no serious historian denies His existence. Some 5,000+ ancient manuscripts, a uniquely high number, testify of Jesus' the life, death and resurrection.

It is simply not logical that book of "myths" written by 35 different authors over hundreds of years could be so historically and scientifically accurate and withstand attempts discredit it through the ages. In fact history is littered with scientists that came to faith in Jesus BECAUSE of science.

An "evolving" morality is no morality at all. If there is no basis for it, the society as a whole will continue to experience moral decline.
A non-evolving morality leaves no flexibility to adjust to new information. For example, advances in food-preservation methods that allow pork and shellfish to be kept safe to eat for much longer times. Were we to adhere to the teachings of the Bible as strongly as those against homosexuals have, there would be much less bacon and lobster to enjoy.

A non-evolving morality leaves no flexibility to handle a changing environment. For example, beliefs about never using contraception leads to the spread of STDs, unplanned children, unnecessary and possibly hazardous population growth, and possibly generational poverty.

A non-evolving morality does not have to give up its founding principles, just be open to the ideas that those can be shown to be wrong.

If you (general) require threat of damnation to make you a better person, then you were never really a good person to begin with.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
I get that this is your belief system however, you demonstrate your own ignorance in this statement. There is overwhelming historical evidence of Jesus to the point that no serious historian denies His existence. Some 5,000+ ancient manuscripts, a uniquely high number, testify of Jesus' life, death and resurrection.

Admittedly, the question of the historicity (or not) of Jesus is a well developed field and deserves a lot more nuance than I just gave it. Maybe someone by that name existed, maybe not. And we don't know exactly who or where, or which of the possible "Jesi", or if it was a combo of multiple real people, or based on them. There's a lot of interesting study and research out there.

Regardless though, it's still a myth. At best, he was a regular human. Maybe a particularly cool or admirable one. But nobody defied the laws of physics and nature. It just doesn't work that way. And even if Jesus did walk across a lake (conveniently before cameras were invented), gay people are still normal and natural and there's nothing incorrect or wrong or inferior with them.

You speak of my "belief system", but I'd say my views are actually the opposite of holding beliefs. I'm a pretty stubborn skeptic who has to be convinced. I don't have religious faith in Mars- I drive outside the city with a telescope on a clear night, and I go see it for myself. Huh, well there it is. Seeing is believing.

Science, all the various different sciences, have disproven all the religions. We found bones of ancestral species. So therefore the book of Genesis, Adam and Eve and all that, that's all wrong. We determined the age of the planet and the universe, and it's in the billions. We discovered that most of the Earth's history didn't feature humans at all, so, we know this world was not made for us. We're brand new here.

The Bible is an interesting collection of text. But it was written before we learned a thing about reality, and it shows. (What also shows is that it is a cobbled together mess that makes not much coherent sense.)

I could write for hours on all this. But look, it comes down to there being no worthwhile reason for your bigotry, and you honestly need to let it go. Open your eyes, just let go of whatever this irrational reaction you seem to have regarding gay people. They're just people like you and I. They're happy and proud of who they are. The guys who live across the hall from me, they're so freaking gay and they're totally nice and normal people. They're not hurting anyone, they're not doing anything wrong, and they're not anything less or greater than you or me. They're just attracted to their own sex and they have consensual relationships with people of their own sex. Just get over it. It's a thing, it's always been a thing.

Or at the very least, go ahead and be a bigot, but don't try to push bigoted laws and policies on everyone else. Some of us are atheists, and some are Christians, but we're uniting around standing for gay rights.

Quote:
On the contrary, the only functional or useful morality is one that evolves with our growth as society. A strict set of arbitrary rules from the Bronze Age is not the best way to govern in 2016. That's dumb.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Actually, it was pork; and yes, God did forbid it at that time. Why? I don't know, but perhaps it was inherently unclean at that time. Or, perhaps for other reasons. Nevertheless, God cleaned all food later in the New Testament. Peter knew not to eat certain animals because of the Law of Moses, but God revealed that is was now okay.

Acts 10

[9] On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
[10] And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
[11] And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
[12] Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
[13] And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
[14] But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
[15] And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
[16] This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
Were there pigs in the blanket?

Sorry - couldn't help myself. But, seriously, how do we know what was in the vessel/ sheet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta