Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times

Advertisements

His actual words here are pretty good stuff...
“What the New Testament teaches us is that Jesus reached out to those who were considered the outcasts, the ones that did not conform to the religious societies’ view of the world … We do not have a belief in my way of looking at religion that says we have to discriminate against anybody. If you were to apply those standards to the teaching of Jesus, I don’t think they fit.”
“What that says is we have a belief in forgiveness and that we do not have to discriminate unduly against anyone on the basis of our own religious beliefs. We are not jeopardized, in my opinion, by those who believe differently from us. We are not, in my opinion, put in jeopardy by virtue of those who might hold different beliefs or who may not even agree with what our Supreme Court said the law of the land is on the issue of same-sex marriage. I do not feel threatened by the fact that people who might choose same-sex marriages pursue that route.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM

770 posts, read 603,429 times
Something says he's working his way to higher aspirations, if not for his age, he may try a presidential run, otherwise potentially a plum position in the new republican party that will need to form. He sees what's happened and still coming.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
After some of the despicable ads he had regarding "the gay agenda" during his campaign, I'm mightily impressed. Maybe he's done some soul-searching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSRbSnrtOHo
Some of it is the nature of Georgia politics. Remember that when Jimmy Carter ran for governor, he ran to the RIGHT of his opposition, and appealed to white Georgian's racist beliefs and fears.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:40 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Some of it is the nature of Georgia politics. Remember that when Jimmy Carter ran for governor, he ran to the RIGHT of his opposition, and appealed to white Georgian's racist beliefs and fears.
At that time, the parties were still early in the process of switching places. The Democrats were actually the more socially conservative party. The Republicans were a northern party and a big business party.

And that even remained true in the south, until well into the 1990's. It was Democratically dominated, and super conservative.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
This is remarkable. I'm actually impressed with Nathan Deal.
Frankly, glad he did this, but I just feel like he was doing his job, nothing more nothing less. He was smart enough to know that this bill would have major employers rethinking their commitment to the state and firms thinking about moving here going elsewhere. So this was no profile in courage but an easy decision for any Governor that cares about the economic viability of his State.

Now if he would stop blocking the expansion of Medicaid like most of his other fellow southern Governors than I would give him some real credit - for this not so much. It was a layup.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Frankly, glad he did this, but I just feel like he was doing his job, nothing more nothing less. He was smart enough to know that this bill would have major employers rethinking their commitment to the state and firms thinking about moving here going elsewhere. So this was no profile in courage but an easy decision for any Governor that cares about the economic viability of his State.

Now if he would stop blocking the expansion of Medicaid like most of his other fellow southern Governors than I would give him some real credit - for this not so much. It was a layup.
Point taken.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
At that time, the parties were still early in the process of switching places. The Democrats were actually the more socially conservative party. The Republicans were a northern party and a big business party.

And that even remained true in the south, until well into the 1990's. It was Democratically dominated, and super conservative.
Yes, but Carter ran to the right of a DEMOCRAT!--former governor Carl Sanders!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:59 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Yes, but Carter ran to the right of a DEMOCRAT!--former governor Carl Sanders!
Yes, very good point.

Anyway, there's campaigns and then there's actual governing. Nathan Deal has basically been a moderate, at least by our GA standards. Especially when compared with the last idiot Perdue.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yes, very good point.

Anyway, there's campaigns and then there's actual governing. Nathan Deal has basically been a moderate, at least by our GA standards. Especially when compared with the last idiot Perdue.
Yep.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta