Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
This story is all too common here because the heirs of these longtime black homeowners could have just kept property in a rapidly gentrifying area in their family name. Instead the children or heirs do not know or see the value to keeping prime real estate because so many of them think anywhere is better than there mindset.
I agree with this.

I agree from the perspective that too often black residents of these neighborhoods in Atlanta complain about gentrification, when the reason why it occurs as rapidly as it does is because the heirs of these families sell off the homes.

That said, I do not see gentrification as totally negative. I feel it is a natural progress of an area/neighborhood. It has happened time and time again throughout history.

However, it does have personal ramifications. I know the last neighborhood I lived in and its residents are worried about gentrification due to, like green_mariner mentioned, rents going up to far. Most of the time the renters are the ones most greatly affected by gentrification, not necessarily older residents as they qualify for senior homestead exemptions. Non-seniors qualify for the city homestead tax exemption whereas they can pay lower property taxes as well. Renters, on the other hand, are usually forced out as landlords cannot qualify for tax exemptions and therefore pass on those costs to the tenants. Even poverty stricken neighborhoods, like the last one I moved to, have been seeing increases in rents. Whereas there used to be apartments in that neighborhood (1-2bd) for $250-$350 a month now they are at $500-$800 a month in pretty crappy buildings. My own property has a pretty high rent for the area, but it is much lower than the closer neighborhoods of the CoA. I have never had a problem filtering out tenants due to us keeping the rent kind of low (it is still in the $1000 a month range) compared to other neighborhoods with a similar sized property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

I agree from the perspective that too often black residents of these neighborhoods in Atlanta complain about gentrification, when the reason why it occurs as rapidly as it does is because the heirs of these families sell off the homes.

That said, I do not see gentrification as totally negative. I feel it is a natural progress of an area/neighborhood. It has happened time and time again throughout history.
I have seen this happen twice with friends of mine. In both cases the adult children had long since moved on. They were living in other cities and simply didn't want to fool with renovating the property and/or holding it for an extended period. It's hard to say they made the wrong decision -- the real estate market subsequently tanked and it would have been 8 or 10 years before they realized much appreciation.

I've seen the same thing happen with white folks. The kids are grown up and have their own lives. Unless they are inclined to real estate rehabbing and investing, most prefer to simply sell and move on.

One set of my grandparents lived for decades in a little neighborhood that has now gentrified. After they passed on and the bills were paid, there wasn't really any money left. The house hadn't been renovated in 40 years and it would have been an expensive proposition to bring it up to modern standards. So we sold at what seemed like a decent price at the time. It would now bring 10 times that much, and newer houses on the street go for even more.

But so be it. Life is full of what ifs.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
[quote=magnetar;43407697]He literally said "I never expected it to rise this fast." I think he moved there to live there.

Um, no. This quote does not support that: "The key is being able to predict these neighborhoods rising and buying low."

Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
So you purchased with an eye on gentrification, not because you merely liked the neighborhood/house?
I would guess that the vast majority of people who bought in Kirkwood in the past 5 years knew that gentrification was imminent and ongoing, no matter what they might say.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM

73,017 posts, read 62,607,656 times
What I am getting from this is that most of Atlanta won't be affordable soon.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
[quote=hautemomma;43432247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
He literally said "I never expected it to rise this fast." I think he moved there to live there.

Um, no. This quote does not support that: "The key is being able to predict these neighborhoods rising and buying low."
Are homes not an investment, whether it be 5 or 30 years? Everyone wants to buy low and sell high, because they are investment tools, the difference being my family and I are invested in the neighborhood and plan on staying for a long time.
Blinkies 2016 - Recap - Atlanta Bicycle Coalition You see that award for Kirkwood.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What I am getting from this is that most of Atlanta won't be affordable soon.
I think that most of the city of Atlanta, by area, isn't affordable now, but there are still a lot of affordable areas in west and SW Atlanta.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:27 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this.

However, it does have personal ramifications. I know the last neighborhood I lived in and its residents are worried about gentrification due to, like green_mariner mentioned, rents going up to far. Most of the time the renters are the ones most greatly affected by gentrification, not necessarily older residents as they qualify for senior homestead exemptions. Non-seniors qualify for the city homestead tax exemption whereas they can pay lower property taxes as well. Renters, on the other hand, are usually forced out as landlords cannot qualify for tax exemptions and therefore pass on those costs to the tenants. Even poverty stricken neighborhoods, like the last one I moved to, have been seeing increases in rents. Whereas there used to be apartments in that neighborhood (1-2bd) for $250-$350 a month now they are at $500-$800 a month in pretty crappy buildings. My own property has a pretty high rent for the area, but it is much lower than the closer neighborhoods of the CoA. I have never had a problem filtering out tenants due to us keeping the rent kind of low (it is still in the $1000 a month range) compared to other neighborhoods with a similar sized property.
Yes. All these people are belly-aching about the homeowners who make money, who in many cases are elderly and have substantial homestead exemptions. Decatur is trying to eliminate all school taxes for those over 65. The ones with real issues are the renters who get forced out into, most likely, further out neighborhoods, or have to pay more in rent for the same property. Decatur probably lost a lot of middle or lower income renters who had to move into lesser school systems as southern Decatur has changed.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I think that most of the city of Atlanta, by area, isn't affordable now, but there are still a lot of affordable areas in west and SW Atlanta.
Yes the more desirable areas are getting un-affordable, but that is basic supply and demand. But other areas that are currently iffy, will become desirable. This same thing happened to many now-hot eastside neighborhoods. They were seen as iffy 5-10 years ago, but now considered un-affordable.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:34 AM

73,017 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkeating View Post
I work near SW Atlanta. I find most of it unsafe outside of the subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta