Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:30 AM

27 posts, read 128,151 times

Advertisements

We (young retirees in mid-50's) are thinking of relocating from DC to Atlanta. We like urban living - being able to walk to a lot of things - and are thinking of Atlanta.

The primary question is - is this a place that one can (for the most part, though not entirely) do without a car. Are there a fair amount of pedestrians around? Is everyday (grocery, drugstore, etc) shopping available?

Which neighborhood(s) would be best?

Secondarily is a quesiton about affordability - We would like a two bedroom condo (approximately 1,200 square feet or so), move-in ready for up to about $525,000. Is this realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
For that amount, you could easily live near Lenox Mall which has almost everything you asked for, with the exception of grocery shopping. There are grocery stores not to far, though. There is a Target (regular, not Super) and a CVS.

While much of Atlanta is not particularly pedistrian friendly, I would say that the Lenox Mall area is.

If you go a a few blocks north of the Lenox area, that may put you halfway between say Target and a Kroger.

Purchase price should not be your only concern, monthly fees also need to be factored in. But there should be lots in your price range. I would avoid most apartment conversions and stick with buildings that have been built to be condos.

One other possibility is the Perimeter Mall area, which is in the close-in suburbs but has a very urban feel to it. Again, your price range should be fine. And there is a Super Target in the area as well as a Super Wal-Mart.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 AM

278 posts, read 1,109,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
For that amount, you could easily live near Lenox Mall which has almost everything you asked for, with the exception of grocery shopping. There are grocery stores not to far, though. There is a Target (regular, not Super) and a CVS.

While much of Atlanta is not particularly pedistrian friendly, I would say that the Lenox Mall area is.

If you go a a few blocks north of the Lenox area, that may put you halfway between say Target and a Kroger.

Purchase price should not be your only concern, monthly fees also need to be factored in. But there should be lots in your price range. I would avoid most apartment conversions and stick with buildings that have been built to be condos.

One other possibility is the Perimeter Mall area, which is in the close-in suburbs but has a very urban feel to it. Again, your price range should be fine. And there is a Super Target in the area as well as a Super Wal-Mart.

This is a sad discription of Atlantas urbanity...MALLS??

Try Decatur, VA highlands, or Chicago.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Carrot,

I think that what the OP was asking was about access to basic day to day services without a car... You are right Decatur and VA-HI may offer that, depending on the type of condo the OP was asking about.

I know many people that are in their age group who have purchased condos in the Buckhead/Lenox/Phipps area... and absolutely love it.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 AM

278 posts, read 1,109,681 times
you are right, those areas do offer everything you would need, I just hate they have to be malls. I didnt mean to offend.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBINDC View Post
We (young retirees in mid-50's) are thinking of relocating from DC to Atlanta. We like urban living - being able to walk to a lot of things - and are thinking of Atlanta.

The primary question is - is this a place that one can (for the most part, though not entirely) do without a car. Are there a fair amount of pedestrians around? Is everyday (grocery, drugstore, etc) shopping available?

Which neighborhood(s) would be best?

Secondarily is a quesiton about affordability - We would like a two bedroom condo (approximately 1,200 square feet or so), move-in ready for up to about $525,000. Is this realistic?

Ok, your comment about "not entirely" needing to do without a car is the key phrase. I thing some believe you want to walk to EVERYTHING and not own a car, but I'm reading this as you prefer to walk as much as possible, but would have a car to use when you need it.

Then thinking on those terms, I agree with those who suggest the Virginia Highland area. There are a fair number of condos in that area, and most all are within your price range. Be a bit wary though of "conversions" (apartments that have been converted into condos), as they may not be as solidly build (soundproof, etc) than places built as condos to begin with. If you can swing a single family home instead therer are a lot of unique bungalo type homes in that area in your price range. Here's one Craigs List listing I found for a really cool house there - it's above that range a bit, but it shows the style of homes you can find there, and most aren't quite that expensive: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/rfs/307535071.html (broken link)

Plus, Virginia Highlands is one of Atlanta few "unique" areas. Atlanta unfortunately is very cookie cutter - lots of generic cloned shopping centers, etc. VaHi is a neat little village atmosphere and it's within walking distance to Piedmont Park (our "central park") as well as the Atlanta Botanical Gardens among other things. It's not quite in easy walking distance to a MARTA rail station, but there are a couple of bus lines that run through there. There is a proposed light rail or trolley system on the books with cars that would run through VaHi, but that's years away if they even build it at all.

If you prefer high rise condo living, there's a TON of stuff being built or recently built in the Midtown area. Hey, wait a year or so and Trump Tower Atlanta will be finished (ca-ching$$), but there are lots of other offerings. MARTA has several stations in the lower to upper Midtown area as well within easy walking distance to a number of these buildings. Downtown Atlanta has a lot of condos near Centennial Olympic Park and the Aquarium, but to be honest, there's a rather large problem with vagrants downtown and people I know who have gone that route complain about the lack of grocery stores and being bothered by bums too much when walking around.

Good luck in your move.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,638 times
Default Decatur is Greater

Actually, I would recommend the Decatur area over VaHi. VaHi is nice and walkable but is also a very trendy area for younger people and as a result can be kind of crazy on Friday and Saturday nights (or any other night of the week for that matter). I would recommend Decatur due to the diversity in age groups and laid back atmosphere. It has a Marta rail station which will give you easy access to all of Atlanta's big attractions. VaHi has only Marta bus access and the buses have to deal with traffic just like cars. Decatur is also an incorporated City with many amenities including tennis courts, pools, etc. at your disposal.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:50 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahhardinadams View Post
Actually, I would recommend the Decatur area over VaHi. VaHi is nice and walkable but is also a very trendy area for younger people and as a result can be kind of crazy on Friday and Saturday nights (or any other night of the week for that matter). I would recommend Decatur due to the diversity in age groups and laid back atmosphere. It has a Marta rail station which will give you easy access to all of Atlanta's big attractions. VaHi has only Marta bus access and the buses have to deal with traffic just like cars. Decatur is also an incorporated City with many amenities including tennis courts, pools, etc. at your disposal.

I cannot recommend Va-Hi either. It isn't the Va-Hi of 15-20 years ago and it seems like the Buckhead party crowd is congregating in Va-Hi on the weekends.

Maybe the Artisan in Decatur?

Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 AM

34 posts, read 288,003 times
Oak Grove area of Decatur is a hidden gem. It's a little east of Lavista and CLairmont. We just bought there because it's a pretty, lush oasis in the city, walkable to a pub, pizza place, gourmet shops and restaurants, drug store, etc etc. That's rare in Atlanta...a place where you can have a real house and yard but actually walk to livable amenities. Lots of solid 50s-60s ranches there, and the age group is all over the map. Also MARTA buses run by, so you're "connected" to the hub.Might be worth a check. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:58 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
It sounds like Midtown would be a perfect fit for you, since it's the most urban and cutting edge neighborhood in the city. There is a large inventory of new high-end condos that are well within your preferred price-point, as well as many retail stores and services within walking distance. There is a new Publix that just moved into retail space located below condominiums and is convenient to area residents who choose to get there by foot. Also, Midtown is served by three MARTA stations.

Midtown is also a center for Atlanta's restaurant and nightlife scene. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta