Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 05:06 PM

261 posts, read 218,116 times

Advertisements

Or in sum: it seems that when I have these discussions with Americans, a lot of them impute unto me a despotic view in which everyone must live in a small apartment above a thumping nightclub (enjoyment of this mandatory), and there are no quiet places, outlying places, or freestanding houses with yards.

That is patent nonsense. As it happens, I do prefer city apartments myself (not above thumping nightclubs), but it's not for everyone. The real issue is about the need for a meaningful public realm, about human-first rather than car-first environments, and of course the economic and ecological questions surrounding how we develop and use space and go about our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 05:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstsunami55 View Post
What else is there to discuss? I think people like me and abalashov have made our points pretty clear. We're not trying to take away anyone's rights. At this point, people are just nitpicking.
Isn't that what online forums are for?

Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalashov View Post
Or in sum: it seems that when I have these discussions with Americans, a lot of them impute unto me a despotic view in which everyone must live in a small apartment above a thumping nightclub (enjoyment of this mandatory), and there are no quiet places, outlying places, or freestanding houses with yards.

That is patent nonsense. As it happens, I do prefer city apartments myself (not above thumping nightclubs), but it's not for everyone. The real issue is about the need for a meaningful public realm, about human-first rather than car-first environments, and of course the economic and ecological questions surrounding how we develop and use space and go about our lives.
Well, houses with yards are not really urban. I do agree that a community which is well planned with parks and other amenities within easy access could be arguably superior (in my point of view) from a community that doesn't have those things, but my viewpoint has changed during my lifetime at least once already. It could change again. We all view the world through the lens of our own experiences and priority set, right?

Old 06-14-2016, 05:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
I'm pleased to hear that you cultivate a benign Dictatorship of the Proletariat. :-)

I'm not the only one to have drawn a connection between the archetypal spectre of Soviet despotism and HOAs, though: The Tyranny of Homeowners Associations - CityLab
And that by no means makes you right. It makes you a follower and not a leader.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:45 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I am okay with blasting the suburbs but the vast majority of people still seem to like them.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:48 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I'll chime in on that one, too. I think the strict adherence to Euclidean zoning has done as much harm as good.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:54 PM

261 posts, read 218,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
And that by no means makes you right. It makes you a follower and not a leader.
Touché. I will subscribe to your quarterly newsletter, attend your biannual leadership seminar, and, of course, the platinum elite leadership retreat.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:59 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'll chime in on that one, too. I think the strict adherence to Euclidean zoning has done as much harm as good.
I wasn't referring to the zoning. I was referring to couching of it in terms of ghastly tragedy. The latter describes the Orlando club shooting, not SFHs.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:04 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Touché. I will subscribe to your quarterly newsletter, attend your biannual leadership seminar, and, of course, the platinum elite leadership retreat.
You would receive much more respect if your observations omitted the disparaging comments. You are potentially offending the vast majority of us who love and call the metro our home. There is simply no place for that.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 PM

712 posts, read 701,766 times
Quote:
I'm not the only one to have drawn a connection between the archetypal spectre of Soviet despotism and HOAs, though: The Tyranny of Homeowners Associations - CityLab
No, you're just a bourgeois fart huffer.

Signed,

В.И.Ленин, Н. Букхарин, Лев Давидович Троцкий, и призраки всех старых советов.

Quote:
Or in sum: it seems that when I have these discussions with Americans,
Poseur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta