Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,971,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Cumberland is thriving today with many new private investments in the 2 years since the Braces announcement (besides, level of development is fanboy wet dream material, it's better for a few quality projects than unchecked rampant growth, so that is a poor metric) there will be logistics hiccups on those summer evenings when the boys are playing ball the first year, people like you will cackle, the hiccups will be ironed out and the ITP crowd will invent new imagined horrors about the area until 80% of them grow up (you may not). The new new "millenials" will then make fun of YOU, such is the circle of hypocrisy and perceived tribalism.
Perimeter Center is eating Cumberland's lunch as the premier edge city business district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I've seen you post about that several times, I take it you are speaking from experience Holt, if we look, where will we see this impacting us today? (sincerely, want to know)
DOT had their director resign and go to CoA, she was more of a planner and pushed for transit projects. She left because the backlash from council and residents over transit plans.
Many experienced, skilled labor get certifications (paid for by Cobb) and then leave to higher paying jobs in Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, and Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:08 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,919,715 times
Ok. Everywhere else in Atlanta will just have to suffer through "unchecked rampant growth" while Cobb gets the "few quality projects". You win.

Last edited by jsvh; 05-13-2016 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,388,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
In Cobb County, Tim Lee is likely to ultimately be rewarded with re-election to another term as commission chairman for helping to lure the Braves away from Atlanta with a publicly-funded stadium.

But in Paulding County, there seems to have been a full-scale public rebellion against the county government's plans to commercialize and expand the Paulding County Airport.
Proving that everyone loves baseball, but no one wants a commercial airport in their backyard.

Either that or it proves that the electorate in Paulding is smarter than it is in Cobb.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Proving that everyone loves baseball, but no one wants a commercial airport in their backyard.

Either that or it proves that the electorate in Paulding is smarter than it is in Cobb.
Everyone loves baseball? The sport has been losing fans and attendance for years. One of the reasons stadiums are getting smaller.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
He then said "and the Braves stadium is comming soon" in what I though was a negative tone (I know a lot of people that live / work in Cobb that are not looking forward to it, and I assumed he was in the same boat) so I said "yeah that is going to be a disaster" and he got very defensive and went on a monolog about how great it will be when he gets a TacoMac 1.5 miles from his house. I just walked away.
I work within 2 miles of the new stadium and I am dreading its opening next year. I will have to become very familiar with the Braves schedule so that I know what days to work at home. Traffic has already reached a level of insanity with the DDI interchange work and the closing of Interstate North Parkway West.

However ... if the Braves keep playing like they are this year it may not be a problem as no one will want to go to the games.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Everyone loves baseball? The sport has been losing fans and attendance for years. One of the reasons stadiums are getting smaller.
Hyperbole | Define Hyperbole at Dictionary.com

Old 05-13-2016, 09:29 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,919,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
However ... if the Braves keep playing like they are this year it may not be a problem as no one will want to go to the games.
Haha. Good point!

Old 05-13-2016, 09:42 AM

1,054 posts, read 927,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DOT had their director resign and go to CoA, she was more of a planner and pushed for transit projects. She left because the backlash from council and residents over transit plans.
Many experienced, skilled labor get certifications (paid for by Cobb) and then leave to higher paying jobs in Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb, and Atlanta.
Current impact?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Current impact?
DOT lost a huge proponent of transit projects and lacks skilled labor to operate equipment and fix signals. This then has to be contracted out, costing more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta