Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:50 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Chicagoland worse for traffic too? You can't win!

And the city with the worst traffic in the U.S. is...
What's ironic is that in post 31 you accused me of not contributing helpful information, yet you are attempting to hijack the OP's thread and turn it into another one of your whining "I hate Chicago" threads. I never mentioned Chicago, nor did the OP so why are you dragging Chicago into this? If you'd like to discuss the links you posted, I'd suggest starting a thread in the Illinois, Chicago or Chicago Suburbs forum where I'd be happy to respond.

BTW, when are you leaving? Nothing worse than living in a place you hate so if you need any help packing, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 08:42 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I wish the pundits who are constantly moaning about the allegedly terrible traffic in Atlanta would look at the actual data.

We're not even in the top 10 for bad traffic, and we're doing better than transit meccas like Boston, New York, Portland, Toronto, and Chicago.

Any big city is going to be busy during peak hours. And they will all have bottlenecks that need to be fixed.

But this baloney about the ATL being a "poster child" for bad traffic is ridiculous.

TomTom Traffic Index - North America

Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 AM

335 posts, read 334,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
What's ironic is that in post 31 you accused me of not contributing helpful information, yet you are attempting to hijack the OP's thread and turn it into another one of your whining "I hate Chicago" threads. I never mentioned Chicago, nor did the OP so why are you dragging Chicago into this? If you'd like to discuss the links you posted, I'd suggest starting a thread in the Illinois, Chicago or Chicago Suburbs forum where I'd be happy to respond.

BTW, when are you leaving? Nothing worse than living in a place you hate so if you need any help packing, please let me know!
99.99% of all of your other posts in the ATL boards were complaining about ATL and trashing it, and singing the praises of Illannoy. In reality, you are constantly attempting to shoot down all other big cities in an effort to make yourself feel better about buying a home in the WORST run state in the nation. So, whenever you feel the need to trash a. It's that you no longer live in, I feel need to remind you about your insecurities in your choices.

I don't need help packing, thanks. But when your property tax bill goes about another 20%, you might.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:50 AM

335 posts, read 334,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wish the pundits who are constantly moaning about the allegedly terrible traffic in Atlanta would look at the actual data.

We're not even in the top 10 for bad traffic, and we're doing better than transit meccas like Boston, New York, Portland, Toronto, and Chicago.

Any big city is going to be busy during peak hours. And they will all have bottlenecks that need to be fixed.

But this baloney about the ATL being a "poster child" for bad traffic is ridiculous.

Agree! Anytime we mention ATL as a city on our radar the FIRST thing people mention is traffic. Then I pull up one of those sites showing how far down list ATL is and people usually become quiet. People are clueless and uninformed.

I've sat on the junction of 90/94 in city of Chicago and not moved for 40 minutes. If you've ever been on the Eisenhower expressway, it's a parking lot at 8 am, noon, 3 pm, 5 pm, 8 pm.. even middle of night! It's a nightmare! I've lived in all regions of chicgoland. Traffic is horrendous everywhere!

Last edited by Taco1234; 10-30-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 04:48 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
I'll take spread out over:

WORST TAXES
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcch...?client=safari

WORST RUN STATE
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcch...?client=safari

BIGGEST FUNDING GAP FOR EDUCATION
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...?client=safari

LAST PLACE FOR ACCESS TO CHILDCARE
State ranks last for access to childcare - Story

And many many more "worsts"...
Illinois needs to copy the strategies that led California out of its huge budget deficit and into the black. And oh yeah, the tax hikes did not hurt California's economy.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:

On the freeways we are definitely not the worst. Some of our side streets, though, like Jimmy Carter and Barrett Parkway...

BTW, every single metro area on that list except for Washington, DC, has its growth constricted by natural features, particularly water or mountains, both of which check sprawl but also transportation options.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:50 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
It's all in your perspective. To me Atlanta is extremely and needlessly spread out. The real estate and road development style appears to have been intentionally designed to give everyone the illusion that they live in a neighborhood in the country. That's been changing but it's still a big part of suburban Atlanta.

That being said it's probably easy for most to get used to. If you can get to a Target in 10 minutes that's 5 miles away, how is that any worse for most people than having one 2 miles away that takes the same 10 minutes to get to? I think most people really go by time and Atlanta is pretty much like everywhere else in that regard. Most places are convenient and some are not.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:13 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:

No, its not really ridiculous. You have to look at what those things measure.

Atlanta is not bad all over. But the north side is horrendous. Trying to get from Forsyth into town is LA level bad. So with I-20 West and I-85 South not being bad and I-20 East not being awful, that makes Atlanta look a lot better. It also compares delays relative to peak speed. Well with Atlanta's arterials being among the worst in the nation, peak speed in Atlanta is really, really slow. There was an expert quoted in the AJC a few years back who said Atlanta was 19th of the top 20 metros in the quality of its arterials. "A bunch of winding 2 lane country roads with no left turn lanes." I'm guessing Boston was the one city with worse arterials.

Atlanta doesn't have the 24 hour a day delays that LA has, but it has lots of delays at off hours that makes traffic here pretty bad. Few businesses care that you can get to town from Newnan pretty easily at 8:00 am. They care that it takes 2 hours to get between town and Cumming as late as 9:00 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta