Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 06:35 PM

7 posts, read 33,647 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Detroit, MI and I think its time for me to leave my home state. My wife and I want to move south and we narrow it down to two places. Houston, Tx and Atlanta, Ga. Its been ages since Ive been down there (the Macon / warren Robins area) and all I remeber is Red dirt and Hot air. I need some help as far as where can a family of four settle down and propser. I have an interview with a company down in Columbus and another interview in Kennesaw. A little input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,779,916 times
Macon and ATL are nothing alike. It's like comparing Flint with metro Detroit. Same goes for Columbus. What are you looking for? What's your price range? If you get a job in Kennesaw I'd look for homes in Kennesaw, Marietta, East Cobb, and West Cobb (powder springs), depending on where your wife is going to work.

The probable reason no one has responded yet is because you haven't listed any of your requirements for which Houston and Atlanta can be compared.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Well, if all you remember of GA is red dirt and hot air, a good description of Houston might be "really red dirt, and really hot/humid air". Both towns have similar inner city/suburb blends, both have alot of traffic, and both are pretty affordable (Houston just has higher property taxes to offset the lack of income tax). You could likely prosper in either area, but Houston's weather is downright nasty compared to Atlanta.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 AM

13 posts, read 19,416 times
Hello,

This is my first time posting,I figured why not it could be useful. I'm a BayArea(California) woman with a 9year old son,single. I'm looking to relocate around 2012,when I will be done with school. I'm looking to move near Atlanta. I do not want to live exactly in Atlanta,but also don't want to live far from ATL. Looking for a nice quite surburban area with a good school district. I would hate to move into a new state and make the wrong move !! I have been researching Marietta and Alpharetta, and would like to hear and gain more information about these locations,and your help would be very much appreciated. Not looking to purchase a home, but would'nt mind renting,I'm open to townhouses and or duplexs, so if you are familiar with the cost of living,that will be helpful also. 2bedrm of course. Also concern'd with crime,jobs,shopping and laws thats worth mentioning. Plan to visit sometime in June 2011...and also need to know the areas to stay away from !! WARNING AREAS. A decent place for a single parent raising a 9yr old kid. Please help !!!! Thanks !!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitaishere View Post
Hello,

This is my first time posting,I figured why not it could be useful. I'm a BayArea(California) woman with a 9year old son,single. I'm looking to relocate around 2012,when I will be done with school. I'm looking to move near Atlanta. I do not want to live exactly in Atlanta,but also don't want to live far from ATL. Looking for a nice quite surburban area with a good school district. I would hate to move into a new state and make the wrong move !! I have been researching Marietta and Alpharetta, and would like to hear and gain more information about these locations,and your help would be very much appreciated. Not looking to purchase a home, but would'nt mind renting,I'm open to townhouses and or duplexs, so if you are familiar with the cost of living,that will be helpful also. 2bedrm of course. Also concern'd with crime,jobs,shopping and laws thats worth mentioning. Plan to visit sometime in June 2011...and also need to know the areas to stay away from !! WARNING AREAS. A decent place for a single parent raising a 9yr old kid. Please help !!!! Thanks !!!!
It is difficult to recommend specific areas without knowing what sort of a commute to work might be involved.

In general, I would say a 2BDR apartment in a safe area with good schools would range from $800-1200/mo.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Man View Post
Born and raised in Detroit, MI and I think its time for me to leave my home state. My wife and I want to move south and we narrow it down to two places. Houston, Tx and Atlanta, Ga. Its been ages since Ive been down there (the Macon / warren Robins area) and all I remeber is Red dirt and Hot air. I need some help as far as where can a family of four settle down and propser. I have an interview with a company down in Columbus and another interview in Kennesaw. A little input would be greatly appreciated.
If your potential job is in Kennesaw, I'd recommend you look in Cobb or Cherokee Counties... Kennesaw, Acworth, Marietta, East Cobb, Woodstock, or Holly Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta