Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM

123 posts, read 153,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I fully agree. The grant park area has become so nice, but if you walk just a few streets toward Summehill it goes from cute and renovated to run down projects very quickly. With the new food hall type development in southern grant park and now this to the far west of grant park and into Summerhill and peoplestown, this is going to be a huge catalyst for the entire area. Add in all the projects along memorial drive and southern Atlanta is going to gentrify very, very rapidly, which it needs quite badly considering how bad the crime is in some parts of it.
I'm technically in Summerhill. We live on Connally (across from Phoenix Park) which I think is the dividing line between Grant Park/Summerhill, but we still have a Grant Park address sign.

Anyway, my point is, there are a lot of nice brand new homes already being built around Summerhill. Two more houses are about to be torn down near me for new homes. It's happening and it's definitely exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
I'm technically in Summerhill. We live on Connally (across from Phoenix Park) which I think is the dividing line between Grant Park/Summerhill, but we still have a Grant Park address sign.

Anyway, my point is, there are a lot of nice brand new homes already being built around Summerhill. Two more houses are about to be torn down near me for new homes. It's happening and it's definitely exciting.
Agreed, Summerhill is most definitely not full of projects. There are tons of nice houses there and being built there. An old church in our area that was abandoned, graffitied, and often home to some troublemakers was just torn down and replaced with townhomes. Another home, south of Georgia Ave on the GP/Summerhill line just sold north of $500k. I'd say with what is going on at Turner Field, that is going to keep pushing further west of GP now. There are both pros and cons to that (in regards to gentrification and its effects), but that is probably another discussion board in itself. Point is, Summerhill is most definitely not sketch. People from the burbs probably had the impression it was when they came to Turner Field because the Braves made sure all of the surrounding buildings on Georgia and empty lots remained abandoned, but now that will change as well.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Agreed, Summerhill is most definitely not full of projects. There are tons of nice houses there and being built there. An old church in our area that was abandoned, graffitied, and often home to some troublemakers was just torn down and replaced with townhomes. Another home, south of Georgia Ave on the GP/Summerhill line just sold north of $500k. I'd say with what is going on at Turner Field, that is going to keep pushing further west of GP now. There are both pros and cons to that (in regards to gentrification and its effects), but that is probably another discussion board in itself. Point is, Summerhill is most definitely not sketch. People from the burbs probably had the impression it was when they came to Turner Field because the Braves made sure all of the surrounding buildings on Georgia and empty lots remained abandoned, but now that will change as well.
That guy doesn't know what he's talking about, that's the same dude who thought Va-High started by Ponce City Market. To him, anything south of I-20 is a housing project filled gang and drug wasteland to him. When he says "projects" I'm guessing he rode thru once and saw Boynton Village or maybe even the senior midrise on Capitol Ave. Even still, neither one are projects. I don't even think Summerhill had any projects back in the day. The projects that used to be in the city were huge, they were basically their own neighborhood in of itself. Heck a lot of them were so big even had their own express MARTA routes, I remember the # 56 Bowen Homes route used to double up coming down Bankhead, and it was still filled to capacity. The real housing projects were indicative of a bygone era in this city, and these small, privately owned, 40 unit, low income apartment complexes like Boynton Village that don't even allow anyone other than somebody's mom or grandmother to live there are no where near as rough as the projects were and to call them that is an insult to the low income people who live in those places.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
The ambitious vision, revealed through a filing with the state, includes an astounding 1.5 million square feet of office space—larger than Bank of America Plaza—and nearly half that much retail.

Additionally, 2,750 apartments (it’s unclear if that number includes the student housing previously proposed for the site), 625 hotel rooms, and 50 single-family homes, could provide thousands of new residents to the community.

Of the 68-acre site, which includes the stadium and surrounding parking lots, the private development team composed of Carter, Oakwood Development, and Healy Weatherholtz has just 16 acres to use. (That’s roughly equal to the size of Historic Fourth Ward Park).

The rest of the site will be filled with athletics and academic facilities for Georgia State, documents show.
http://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/2/27/...offices-retail

Old 02-27-2017, 05:54 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That depiction of attendance at the GSU stadium is very optimistic. I think the plan is to build it in stages and it probably won't go beyond the first stage.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:04 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Turner's transformation: GSU's new football stadium is beginning to take shape | 11alive.com

Old 03-26-2017, 12:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,390,145 times
I hope that GSU can keep a lot of Turner Field's amenities. That way it can be as good as any college stadium in the country.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
Good outdoor concert/festival venue also.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:34 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Glad to read that they are considering serving beer at their games. Hope they do. I might start going to some of their games.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:32 PM

597 posts, read 667,635 times
I'm impressed they're being humble and starting at 23k capacity. Looks like a nice, smaller, intimate stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: